00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How Are You Stereotyped?

2,171 Views | 42 Replies

How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 22:46:19

In life, everyone is stereotyped to some degree. Usually we think things like race, gender, religion, orientation, etc. but there's a lot more to be said for things like how you dress, the music you listen to, your social standing, your hobbies, how you spend your time, being single or dating, etc. We make a lot of assumptions about other people without really knowing anything about them, and it's interesting to see how wrong we can be sometimes.

That's why I decided to make this thread. It isn't intended as a pity-party "look-what-I-have-to-deal-with" thread, but for everyone to share their own experiences about how others have judged them wrongly, and for everyone here hopefully to gain some insight on not judging others in the future.

So tell me two things, Newgrounds.

First, how are you stereotyped? What do people assume about you and why?

Second, is it true? How much of it is true/untrue?

I suppose I'll start with myself. Feel free to be more or less detailed in your post if you want, I just feel like being a bit detailed for the hell of it. Also, feel free not to read any of this shit if you don't want, it isn't really essential to posting.

Wearing a lot of black: Anyone on Newgrounds who knows me in real life knows that I wear pretty much nothing but black a lot of the assumption behind that is that I think I'm cool or dark, I'm emo (which, to be fair was at least true at one point, hence my old username xXShortEmoKidXx), I'm a cynical or negative person, or am depressed.

In reality, though I can be cynical and often feel depressed, I'm generally a very friendly person, and am known for my sense of humor and ability to see the positive sides of bad situations. I probably thought I was cool when I started doing it (cut me some slack, I was like ten), but now I mostly just do it out of habit, and because I still think it looks cool, not that it necessarily makes me cool.

Being Bisexual: Bisexuality can come under a lot of fire. Straight people sometimes assume that I'm just a nymphomaniac running around having sex with everyone, not committing to a relationship or staying faithful. Gay people often think that I'm being dishonestly gay, and am trying to stay halfway in the closet and maintain some "straight privilege." The worst is when people think bisexuals are all attempting to be part of a trend (though I will admit it happens). I can say that none of these assumptions apply to me.

Being non-religious: I'm currently somewhere between agnostic and atheist right now, but the assumptions are usually similar; That I'm condescending, hate all religious people and think they're stupid, etc. Another surprising stereotype about atheists/agnostics is that we have no sense of morals, and just do whatever we want.

While admittedly most religions and the following thereof make little sense to me, I'm not going to belittle someone just because they believe something that I don't. I know a lot of religious people who are extremely nice and friendly, so I know not to assume things about them. As for morals, religion isn't the only place to get them, I believe in treating other people as I would like to be treated.

Being white/male: I'm throwing these two together because they're the same; that I'm ignorant and privileged and am probably a racist misogynist who sympathizes with rapists. You know the story, die cis scum, etc.

While being a white man does put me ahead and give me a lot of unfair advantages, I am aware of these, and don't assume that other races don't work as hard, or women aren't as smart or capable, or any of that shit. I'm aware that a lot of economic influences, gender/racial bias and societal expectations can make it more difficult for racial minorities and women to succeed. I'm also aware of the stigmatization that rape victims (both male and female) face in society, and am against any kind of victim blaming. or rape justification.

Sorry to get on my soapbox on that one, but you'd be surprised how often people assume me to be the devil.

Listening to punk music: People usually think that this means I'm an anarchist, or am trying to be rebellious to look cool and piss off my parents, etc. They also assume that I'm just angry all the time (to be fair, punk music can be pretty goddamn angry).

I'm not an anarchist, I'm pretty liberal in my politics, generally favoring somewhat of a large government, with the exception of a few areas. Again, like my fashion sense, I probably thought it was cool when I was younger, but there's a lot more to it. I find meaning in the lyrics and I find pleasure in how the music sounds. I can get angry and lose my temper sure, but I don't go around trashing everything in sight in some beer-fueled punk rage or something. It's just a good way to release emotions; listen to music by someone who felt the same thing at one point.

18-Year-Old-Virgin: I'm 19 now, and have had sex, but at one point I was 18 and was a virgin. This is often held with the assumption that I really really want to have sex, but am unable to. The assumption that I'm constantly trying to hook up with girls, but aren't attractive or likable enough to pull it off and get one of them in bed.

While I don't know how attractive or likable I am, I did very little to attempt to have a sexual relationship. I wanted more of the typical romantic relationships based on love (or as close to that as you can get in high school). I wasn't somebody who was really occupied with chasing sex. Horny? Yes. Trying to have sex? Not really, nah.

I'VE SHARED MY STORY, NEWGROUNDS, NOW YOU SHARE YOURS!

Bitchfest officially over. For those of you wondering what sparked this discussion about stereotyping, I watched The Breakfast Club again. Fun fact of the day for you.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 22:52:39

Afghan = Terrorist = Untrue (...Or is it!?)

Glasses = Smart = True (I'd like to think so, at least)

Pokemon Hat (When I wear it) = Nerd = True, I guess

Brown-ish skin (when I'm tan) = Mexican = Not true (see above)

Accent = Not born in the U.S. = False (im a mercan)

Southerner = Racist = Not true (I make racist jokes on occasion though)

American = Ignorant = Not true...unless I don't know that I'm ignorant, and I'm simply ignorant to me being ignorant?

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:02:18

At 9/7/14 10:57 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: since emigrating to Canada, everyone I meet assumes that because I am English I like tea, have been to London, and support a football team. None of the above applies to me IRL

YOU SOUND LIKE YOU'RE FROM LONDON

For me, there's some crazy sexualization of redheads that gives me a lot of strangers coming up to me saying insanely creepy sexual stuff. Then there's that sad 'ginger' fad of, "hurr durr gingers don't have souls."

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:02:30

I wear a lot of dark clothes = angsty emo kid

I have long hair = gay/hippie/girl

I use the computer a lot = nerd/loser/nolife

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:03:31

Oh, and

I live in a trailer = weird redneck trailer trash?

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:04:44

How could I possibly forget

Plays video games = gamer/hardcoregamer/wannabegamer/tryhard/codfag/minefag/etc/etc/etc

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:06:35

I dress and act like a privileged white kid, I'm very patriotic, and I'm frequently drunk so people stereotype me as a college fratboy or some shit but in reality I worked for everything I own, I love America because it is the greatest country in the world (and anyone who says otherwise is just a communist), and I just really love to party.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:07:05

People often mistake me for the cocky stud muffin with nice pecks and a sweet natrual tan.
But really, I'm just a modest guy, although... I'm usually reguarded as the hottest guy.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:15:27

Tats = Criminal/Gangster. Even tho I'm not a gang member, N I changed from the criminal I was.
Brown skin = You're a beaner/Mexican. I am Mexican, but I can't speak any Spanish so yeah total beaner.
Computers/Video Games = Nerd/Lifeless. I'm skilled in what I do why not stay doing it? I can't be lifeless. 3 kids bro.

It sucks but everyone goes through it, I wish we didn't but yeah thats reality.

"I'll never understand this society, first they tried to murder me, then they lied to me, product of a drying breed."

-2Pac

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:21:06

I don't really know. I'm not stereotyped, I don't think. Sort of weird, isn't it?

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:30:39

"dang she looks untrustworthy, road people. blech"

And: hey. That's not, like, entirely accurate. Rude.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-07 23:44:24

People assume I'm really really really good at TF2 because I have a weeb name and icon.

People have said over the mic in MVM that people with anime icons and such are good at the game.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 02:11:13

At 9/7/14 10:46 PM, Scarface wrote: So tell me two things, Newgrounds.

First, how are you stereotyped? What do people assume about you and why?

People think I'm a stoner because of my appearance, what I listen to, and who I sometimes associate with.
I've had people think I'm mildly "scary" or angry a lot considering my appearance.

Second, is it true? How much of it is true/untrue?

No....no it's not. I don't do drugs and I don't plan on it. And it honestly surprises people I know.
And for that too I'm not. I'm normally a nice person ._.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 02:21:05

"Gun-toting teabagger psycho".

Most of that is bullshit.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 02:21:14

People always called me a freak.
I suppose I somewhat am I mean I'm weird I have fucked up fetishes I like violence.
I'm just strange in general.
I think I earned it.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 02:32:40

I honestly never been stereotyped, I had racist comments thrown at me on the bus due to my hispanic heritage though.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 02:40:31

People think I'm a short dicked coward who can't fight, but in reality my dick could probably knock you out.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 03:00:34

English sterotypes are mostly positive. Tea Drinkers, Crumpet eaters and the like.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 03:08:51

Well for me most of it is pretty accurate

-Energetic: True. I can have a lot of energy or keep on going long after everyone else is tired out. Lots of stamina and can outlast people much younger than me.

-"Know-it-all": True, to an extent. While I do have a lot of knowledge I don't claim to know everything nor to be perfect or flawless. Although I did very well in school and generally test very well. Usually this is a claim someone throws out there after being proven wrong because instead of wanting to learn anything, they just instantly wanted to be "right" and are angry that they're not and I'm not that way at all (if I'm wrong I want to know exactly how and why I'm wrong).

-Mysterious: Some people see me this way because I can sometimes come across as a bit cold or distant. Sometimes I just don't want to talk or interact with certain people, especially if they seem too sketchy so I intentionally give short, unhelpful replies to them if I even acknowledge them at all. This is particularly the case when interacting with religious proselytizers, druggies, or similar undesirable types.

-Intimidating: Some people see me as a bit intimidating. I'm not going to physically fight anyone unless as a last resort though. If you're throwing punches my way, expect no mercy, but I'll never be the first to take anything physical. I think if it's verbal insults/etc you should keep it verbal.

-Hardcore: I am a bit. I have high standards in a lot of things, which I hold myself up to. I've taken courseloads which even one of my professors described as "brutal". I can go many days on little sleep and still be full of energy. I can solve difficult problems. I have a lot of skills. If I'm knocked down I can get right back up. I've been in a number of dangerous situations and came out okay. I don't take the "easy" route. I'm not easily defeated. I like my video games hard, I take my coffee black, and I eat some of the hottest foods known to man with relative ease. I can instantly calm at a moment's notice even in dangerous situations and I have very little fear. Sometimes I hold other people up to higher standards than they're comfortable with but it's nothing I wouldn't also hold for myself.

-"Hot": I am seen as kind of "hot" by many. Sometimes you get unwanted attention if you're "hot" though. It's not always just the people you'd want to be attracted to you who come your way.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 03:09:51

By being Texan: wears cowboy hats and drives pickup trucks
(I've tried owning a cowboy hat, and I didn't like it...plus there's no way for me to ever take it with me since I'm on a motorcycle...also, fuck trucks, they're not my style.)

By being southern: racist and uneducated. Nope and nope.

By being Texan: gun owner and gun enthusiast. True, but only because of family background in military and police, father being a gun-owner, I've learned how to handle and respect the firearm and I see the advantages of concealed carry. As well as seeing the advantages in a contingency plan that would involve a heavier firearm for home and neighborhood protection.

By being Scottish blood: wearing kilts and drinking beer. True on special occasions and true on most occasions.

By being a biker: having a death wish and being mean. No and no.

By listening to 80's rock and metal: that I'm a hipster. Fuck you.

By being American: that I'm fat and retain little knowledge of the outside world. You got me there.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 07:18:25

@Captain-Slugworth

Aside from the not going out much, you don't sound so bad though. And really you don't sound bad at all, but you should probably try going fun places at least occasionally, even if just by yourself. People who are so obsessed with their smartphones suck anyway so it's good you're not one of those.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 08:51:16

Black stereotypes are so inane that I think people make them up on a whim. I've been prejudiced as a gangster too many times, which is even more hilarious because I dress like a hipster lumberjack.
I have a huge collection of 6th gen and earlier games. People assume I'm a retro gamer or PC master race but really I just don't have the funds to buy new games.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 10:23:24

At 9/8/14 09:17 AM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: I have a problem with black people under 50 that think they deserve some special treatment for something that happened in the 60s. There...It's said.

How is what you said related to the thread topic?

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 10:50:53

A lot of friends I've had over the years would tell me that they initially thought I was gay. I guess I just exude myself as a flamboyant person.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 11:22:25

Whenever I wear a shirt with a video games/anime artwork on it, I get told I should get a life for my own good. I have a part-time job. There's also the whole "girls can't be gamers" thing going on which I don't really need to explain. And one of my friend is convinced I secretly write yaoi fanfics because I like anime.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 11:28:31

Being from Texas (not born there, but spent most of my childhood there) the stereotypes that I faced generally vary from being a cowboy and owning a ranch to general deep-south behavior. (conservative, Bible-thumping, gay bashing, etc.) While I do have an affinity with the Wild West in general, I've have never owned a cowboy hat or a ranch at all, and I don't have any reason to do so. Also, I'm a libertarian skeptic who has no problem with gay marriage and them adopting kids if they so choose, though I also have no problem with churches making their own doctrine on marriage as long as it stays within the church's walls.

As a video game and anime fan, the general nerd stereotypes also show up from time to time, most of which I take in stride because I really just don't care. Oddly enough, I get more heat within the fandom for either my mainstream-ish views, or hating on something that everyone seems to like. I am a huge believer in reputations and proof, and there has to be a good amount of evidence for me to change my mind on anything, but that doesn't mean that I can't make exceptions to the rule when necessary. Overall, it seems like most video game and anime fans tend to be more cynical and slow to adapt to changes than most other fan bases, which is why the stereotypes exist.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 12:09:28

1. Being religious.

2. Being gregarious.

3. Being an ignorant.

None are true.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 15:18:23

people generalize me as a man who fucked your mother, which is absolutely true

"I let my dog lick my bumhole while wanking. You can quote me on that." EvilDog.

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 15:43:22

At 9/8/14 09:17 AM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: I have a problem with black people under 50 that think they deserve some special treatment for something that happened in the 60s. There...It's said.

I've found that only guilty white liberals think I deserve some special treatment for racial inequalities. And even then, I've never experienced any form of racial inequality, nor has my immediate family experienced anything of the sort.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to How Are You Stereotyped? 2014-09-08 15:48:12

Shy and superquiet- although it is true, I do enjoy talking. I just need to get more confidence with that person for me to open up a little bit more with them.

Mexican- Yes.

Nerd/geek- Yes, I love vidyagames and been playing them for a really long time since I was 4 I believe.

No-life- Pretty true.

I think.

BBS Signature