00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks

698 Views | 10 Replies

Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 20:19:01

I don't give a shit about quality. Is there a website that allows you to download 144p movies or audiobooks that have been compressed to kingdom come? So long as I can see/hear what's happening I don't really care, plus it's awesome to carry around several hours of audio that only take up ~30 MBs.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 20:25:16

You could just download regular movies and compress them to shit yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 20:34:59

At 9/6/14 08:25 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: You could just download regular movies and compress them to shit yourself.

The main problem I experience is when I import an audiobook that's nearly 1GB, Audacity freezes. I also tried this with a smaller file and compressed the project rate down to 8000 Hz but it didn't significantly decrease the filesize.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 21:32:55

I can't stand 144p or 240 p. 360p is tolerable, but I prefer 480.

BBS Signature

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 21:33:46

At 9/6/14 08:34 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 9/6/14 08:25 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: You could just download regular movies and compress them to shit yourself.
The main problem I experience is when I import an audiobook that's nearly 1GB, Audacity freezes

Out of curiosity, why are you doing this?

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 21:47:05

Low-quality visual media has always bugged me. I get where you're coming from with "so long as I can see/hear what's happening", but I think my personal stigma towards bad video quality comes from watching certain animes. The fine lines of the art style tend to create a lot of small objects on screen, and low quality high-action sequences can get pretty tough to enjoy (or even properly comprehend).

BBS Signature

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 22:52:58

At 9/6/14 09:33 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Out of curiosity, why are you doing this?

To compress it, as Zorse suggested.

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 22:53:40

At 9/6/14 10:52 PM, Kwing wrote: To compress it, as Zorse suggested.

But what's your overall goal with this? Why compress it down so much?

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-06 23:10:40

At 9/6/14 08:34 PM, Kwing wrote:
The main problem I experience is when I import an audiobook that's nearly 1GB, Audacity freezes. I also tried this with a smaller file and compressed the project rate down to 8000 Hz but it didn't significantly decrease the filesize.

Why are you compressing it by reducing the sample rate?

You should only need to bring the sample rate down to about 48KHz and then export it as a low quality VBR .mp3 file. Your compression will have more of an impact than your sample rate when it comes to reducing file size.

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-07 01:19:11

At 9/6/14 11:10 PM, Bit wrote: Nonsense

Or, better yet, I just scienced up a chart.

Collected file sizes are in MB. Tested sample rates are in kHz. Green, Yellow, and Red represent relatively how awful the resulting audio is -- Green: best, Yellow: passable, Red: my ears are bleeding. Black spaces show untested or untestable data.

All test files are children of the 192kHz 24-bit FLAC file which I used as a reference. File contains a rip of one side of a vinyl album ~20 minutes of music.

Results were interesting.

Converted files show a nearly linear change in file size depending on the sample rate selected, all seeming to converge at what looks like a minimum possible 4-5MB. The smallest file I created was MP3 VBR-9 at 8KHz which was a miniscule 5MB. At higher bitrates, halving the sample rate seemed to halve the resulting file size as well. At lower qualities, the effect became less pronounced. Unfortunately, all of the 8KHz files I created were not pleasing at all to listen to.

Keeping the 48KHz sample rate and stepping down to a lower bitrate seemed to be a more viable solution. MP3 VBR-0 48KHz to MP3 VBR-5 48KHz nearly halved the file size. MP3 VBR-5 48KHz to MP3 VBR-9 48KHz was another significant drop in file size. Thankfully all of the 48KHz recordings were passable even when the bitrate was reduced.

Conclusion:
Ruthlessly cutting the sample rate to 8KHz will reduce the file size to its minimum, but shouldn't be necessary when nearly the same effect occurs when using a low bitrate such as VBR-9. Solutions such as MP3 VBR-9 48KHz seem to be the best compromise of audio quality and file size.

Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks

Response to Low-Quality Movies/Audiobooks 2014-09-13 15:32:38

At 9/6/14 10:53 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: But what's your overall goal with this? Why compress it down so much?

I don't really care about quality when I'm listening to an audiobook. I downloaded Lord of the Flies but it's nearly a 1GB for 8 hours. I have another short audio story that's only 14MB for one hour. If I could shrink that file by 10x and still understand the words that would be dope as hell.

@Bit

What do you suggest for a file that's too big? I tried loading my file into Audacity and it froze.