00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cars might now be able to BSoD

2,104 Views | 30 Replies

Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:38:24

Thanks to Microsoft's Windows CE, and the many, many cars on the market lately with center touch consoles (some of them powered by Windows CE)... there is a very real possibility of seeing a car BSoD. Welcome to the future... where car accidents will be caused by botched firmware updates, viruses, and driver malfunctions.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:41:34

I can't be the only one that doesn't know.

What does "BSoD" mean, OP?

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:43:05

At 8/25/14 12:41 AM, Phobotech wrote: I can't be the only one that doesn't know.

What does "BSoD" mean, OP?

Blue Screen of Death, aka a Windows stop error.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:43:09

Couldn't terrorists easily hack viruses into thousands of cars and cause major accidents? If this ever happens, I hope they only stick the viruses into priuses.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:50:19

At 8/25/14 12:43 AM, koopahermit wrote: Couldn't terrorists easily hack viruses into thousands of cars and cause major accidents? If this ever happens, I hope they only stick the viruses into priuses.

Nope. Unless by "easily" you mean "years of research which includes corporate espionage".

Hacking is about to get a lot harder over the next 4-6 years as the current generation of military grade network defense algorithms begin to enter the public sphere.

Just an 02er.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 00:59:10

thats why old cars are good.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 01:24:01

At 8/25/14 12:42 AM, Conal wrote: I'd hate to crash my car because my car crashed!

CTRL ALT DELETE + E BRAAAAAAKE!!!

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 01:41:36

At 8/25/14 12:59 AM, kazumazkan wrote: thats why old cars are good.

Like an 1967 Chevrolet Impala?

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 01:45:35

See this is why increasing the amount of shit computers do for cars is a bad thing.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 02:09:14

I'm not doubting you OP, but could I get some kind of link or source on this? I Googled "Cars BSOD" and I got a bunch of potential "what ifs" but not one confirmed case of a car losing all control and causing an accident.

Apparantly this has been happening in hybrids since 2005.

Once again, I'm sure this will be a problem we face soon, if not already, but I'd just like to get some kind of direction you're coming from on this one.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 02:43:40

nigeria would be america's #1 threat

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 09:02:05

"Alright, your car is all tuned up. Care to install the complementary Auto-McAfee? Its free and it-"
"NO. NO NO NO."

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 10:34:03

At 8/25/14 12:43 AM, koopahermit wrote: Couldn't terrorists easily hack viruses into thousands of cars and cause major accidents? If this ever happens, I hope they only stick the viruses into priuses.

And this, my friends, is the reason why I drive a corpse on wheels.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 10:36:32

At 8/25/14 01:41 AM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Like an 1967 Chevrolet Impala?

Or better yet a '69 Dodge Charger.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:02:38

I pity any fool who owns one of the brand new fully-computerized cars which contain government kill switches and GPS tracking devices. It's like they're completely ignorant of freedom.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:07:44

All you stupid fuckers and your switching to electrotechnics instead of developing mechanics.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:14:40

At 8/25/14 11:07 AM, Makakaov wrote: All you stupid fuckers and your switching to electrotechnics instead of developing mechanics.

What you just said is dumb as fuck.

How do you expect any car manufacturer to add mechanical mass to a car, robbing the gas tank for every new piece of equipment, instead of using a half ounce computer system which can do more work at the cost of electricity?

Just an 02er.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:18:12

At 8/25/14 11:14 AM, Profanity wrote:
At 8/25/14 11:07 AM, Makakaov wrote: All you stupid fuckers and your switching to electrotechnics instead of developing mechanics.

How do you expect any car manufacturer to add mechanical mass to a car, robbing the gas tank for every new piece of equipment, instead of using a half ounce computer system which can do more work at the cost of electricity?

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we're all educated here and we all know such terms as graphen and polymers.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:33:47

At 8/25/14 11:18 AM, Makakaov wrote:
At 8/25/14 11:14 AM, Profanity wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we're all educated here

No you did fucking not. You know as well as anyone that this community is full of special people.

and we all know such terms as graphen and polymers.

If you think graphene and polymer based mechanical computation systems have any merit in this discussion then you must be brain dead. And there is not a snowball's chance in hell that you're going to make a computerless car competitive against modern vehicles with a computer system even if the frame is compact honeycomb fairy dust and it runs on unicorn piss.

Just an 02er.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 11:50:15

At 8/25/14 11:33 AM, Profanity wrote: If you think graphene and polymer based mechanical computation systems have any merit in this discussion then you must be brain dead. And there is not a snowball's chance in hell that you're going to make a computerless car competitive against modern vehicles with a computer system even if the frame is compact honeycomb fairy dust and it runs on unicorn piss.

Look bitch, just because you're growin up in era of electronics it doesn't mean mechanics is ancient and unable to compete or beat electronics. In fact nowadays electronics are just additional control components to mechanics which are still backbone of machines like cars. You sure can make physical logical gates, so electronics is just a fun addition for children for real game. Like cap guns to real guns. Just go read a fucking book and realise how wrong you are.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 12:40:54

Yes, they're much more fun to drive.

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 12:42:27

At 8/25/14 11:50 AM, Makakaov wrote:
At 8/25/14 11:33 AM, Profanity wrote: If you think graphene and polymer based mechanical computation systems have any merit in this discussion then you must be brain dead. And there is not a snowball's chance in hell that you're going to make a computerless car competitive against modern vehicles with a computer system even if the frame is compact honeycomb fairy dust and it runs on unicorn piss.
Look bitch, just because you're growin up in era of electronics it doesn't mean mechanics is ancient and unable to compete or beat electronics. In fact nowadays electronics are just additional control components to mechanics which are still backbone of machines like cars. You sure can make physical logical gates, so electronics is just a fun addition for children for real game. Like cap guns to real guns. Just go read a fucking book and realise how wrong you are.

Mechanics are nothing more than simple computers made from load bearing components. Literally everything you can do with any mechanical system can be done using a computer to replace all the dead weight and add several orders of magnitude more potential action. Literfuckingally everyfuckingthing. Show me a mechanical system made with lightweight components and I will knowingly remind you that an electron is infinitely more versatile and a trillion trillion times less massive. Hey shit for brains, how does it feel defending something you know is wrong?

Just an 02er.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 12:42:34

At 8/25/14 12:35 PM, KatMaestro wrote:
At 8/25/14 11:33 AM, Profanity wrote:
At 8/25/14 11:18 AM, Makakaov wrote:
If you think graphene and polymer based mechanical computation systems have any merit in this discussion then you must be brain dead.
You're talking to a fucking dumbass troll. Let it go.

Don't anger me boyo.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 12:58:41

At 8/25/14 12:42 PM, Profanity wrote: Mechanics are nothing more than simple computers made from load bearing components.

Lmao. Mechanics is a whole knoledge about using physical components together. Computer is just a big calculator with functions. And yeah, you can also make a mechanical calculator.

Literally everything you can do with any mechanical system can be done using a computer to replace all the dead weight and add several orders of magnitude more potential action.

Okay smartass, how do you replace reciever in ANY weapon with a electrotechnical parts to make it lighter and work better? How do you replace components of an engine with electrotechnical parts to make it lighter and still work? How are you going to use ANY electrotechnical equipment when there's no power? Mechanical components are more reliable if you can keep them in good shape, electrotechnical parts are vunerable in many fields mechanical ones are not.

Literfuckingally everyfuckingthing. Show me a mechanical system made with lightweight components and I will knowingly remind you that an electron is infinitely more versatile and a trillion trillion times less massive.

Okay, try to replace handgun's trigger with an electron.

Hey shit for brains, how does it feel defending something you know is wrong?

I would not know. You tell me. Once again, electrotechnic shit is just for more precission and control, but mechanical stuff can still do even better without them.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 13:24:00

At 8/25/14 01:20 PM, KatMaestro wrote:
At 8/25/14 12:42 PM, Makakaov wrote:
Don't anger me boyo.
Go play Russian roulette.

Actually it's russian roulette. It's a typical adjective, so we write it with a lowercase letter.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 13:55:21

No they wont, it's impossible because when you rob a car it's called stealing not BSoD.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 16:28:46

And I'll be driving down the highway in my 100% computer free car, passing all of those idiots who are now stuck in a ditch thanks to that.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 17:06:33

At 8/25/14 04:28 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: And I'll be driving down the highway in my 100% computer free car, passing all of those idiots who are now stuck in a ditch thanks to that.

Paying thousands of dollars more in your insurance per year because you don't qualify for the self-driving car insurance discounts.

Driving 30-50 mph less than self-driving cars because human operators are not allowed to use the left lanes.

Begrudgingly blaming the government for your own refusal to adapt to a beneficial new technology.

Talking about how "back in my day" the police had cars instead of unmanned autonomous drones patrolling overhead at 100-300 mph along with delivery traffic.

And probably driving like an asshole near bicyclists, which is something I expect from your sort.

Just an 02er.

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 17:17:18

Looking forward to THAT.

We should focus more on energy efficiency instead of adding on more electric toys.

BBS Signature

Response to Cars might now be able to BSoD 2014-08-25 19:06:03

Just close windows and restart.

BBS Signature