00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bertn1991 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Probably a common thing, but...

957 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:28:20

have you ever had just a really good melody by itself, but when you try to evolve it into a full song it just doesn't sound right and you cant finish it? I have this long melody that I really like and I tried to add bass, and kicks with sidechaining and whatnot, and I can't get anything else to compliment it. Sure I could try to do other parts of the song, but what's the point if I can't even fully complete that section? I ended up getting frustrated and just posted it here because I like it enough by itself :x

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:32:04

if your "good melody" doesn't gel with anything else you come up with then maybe your melody is the problem

p.s. i am gay

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:35:57

At 8/16/14 10:32 PM, midimachine wrote: if your "good melody" doesn't gel with anything else you come up with then maybe your melody is the problem

Definitely not the melody that's my problem :/ It's my lack of skill/experience as a producer that's the problem. I'm no pro.

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:36:13

Try another genre? Not all melodies fits with all genres. Not all melodies sounds good in a dance track etc.

Just a random idiot

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:40:14

At 8/16/14 10:36 PM, Ectisity wrote: Try another genre? Not all melodies fits with all genres. Not all melodies sounds good in a dance track etc.

I'm not even trying to go for a specific genre per se. I'm just trying to add in percussion and bass that sounds right but it's not coming out how I want.

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:41:48

At 8/16/14 10:40 PM, Lethal-Input wrote:
At 8/16/14 10:36 PM, Ectisity wrote: Try another genre? Not all melodies fits with all genres. Not all melodies sounds good in a dance track etc.
I'm not even trying to go for a specific genre per se. I'm just trying to add in percussion and bass that sounds right but it's not coming out how I want.

Upload your project so i can hear it?

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:42:12

At 8/16/14 10:41 PM, w00tw00 wrote:

It's already up http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/585124

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:50:46

I'd go as far as to argue that that piece doesn't need many more elements to it. Maybe some harmonies, bass, but light. No need for percussion IMO.

Nice work!

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 22:52:05

At 8/16/14 10:42 PM, Lethal-Input wrote:
At 8/16/14 10:41 PM, w00tw00 wrote:
It's already up http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/585124

Well, what bothers me with it is that it's like you've tried to use a buildup or intro melody as the main melody, but that's because I make alot of dance so I automatically think of the main melody as a drop. You might as well give it a shot having that melody as a intro though. An awesome melody shines the most during intros and break and not during the main part in my opinion.

Just a random idiot

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-16 23:06:13

At 8/16/14 10:50 PM, LunyAlex wrote: I'd go as far as to argue that that piece doesn't need many more elements to it. Maybe some harmonies, bass, but light. No need for percussion IMO.

Nice work!

Thanks! I do think it sounds good alone but in my head it works with percussion too. Maybe I was trying to hard to go for a specific style.

At 8/16/14 10:52 PM, Ectisity wrote:
:Well, what bothers me with it is that it's like you've tried to use a buildup or intro melody as the main melody, but that's because I make alot of dance so I automatically think of the main melody as a drop. You might as well give it a shot having that melody as a intro though. An awesome melody shines the most during intros and break and not during the main part in my opinion.

Yeah I realized that I am trying to hard to go for a specific style. I'll keep trying things.

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-17 01:03:00

At 8/16/14 10:32 PM, midimachine wrote: if your "good melody" doesn't gel with anything else you come up with then maybe your melody is the problem

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-22077-psych-thats-the-wrong-number-g-y7Ie.gif

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-17 09:22:33

THIS HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE FUCKING TIME AHHHRRRG

BBS Signature

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-17 09:37:26

At 8/17/14 01:03 AM, MockOff wrote:
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-22077-psych-thats-the-wrong-number-g-y7Ie.gif

[ ] REKT
[x] TYRANNOSAURUS REKT

(for the record, i was being entirely serious)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-17 16:35:24

Honestly, I have a few melodies I have lying around that surface from time to time that I've never successfully arranged into a piece... for the most part, I either try my best and give up and move on, or if I'm short on ideas, I try some drastic stuff- different instruments, different tempo, different harmonies, etc until something clicks.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Probably a common thing, but... 2014-08-17 16:36:57

Oh, and I should mention, if you're really stuck, find someone on the portal you've always wanted to collab with and send it to them and then pass what he/she gets back and forth a few times. I did this a few times with some friends and it all came out great. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature