00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duspay98 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux

1,441 Views | 22 Replies

Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 21:17:54

Today was the last fucking straw. I have had it with Microsoft Windows, and its bullshit. Why? Well... this is the third time at least its become FUBAR, and I´m sick of going through and reinstalling everything when an update corrupts the damn thing. Sure, Linux may be a minefield of glitchy software, but once you find the quality stuff (like LXDE and GNOME) you´ve got it made.

Unix > all. Fuck Microsoft.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 21:28:44

Buuut I thought you were already using Linux??

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 21:48:53

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 22:03:59

Go for it, and give us a status update in a few months.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 22:25:30

But without windows, you can't have the gaming sensation known as Minesweeper!

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 22:36:06

If you're having trouble just with Windows, Linux probably isn't for you...

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 22:44:36

At 8/13/14 10:25 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: But without windows, you can't have the gaming sensation known as Minesweeper!

Yes you can. There's a Linux variant of that. It even "comes standard" with many Linux distros.

It annoyingly implements all of the Windows minesweeper flaws too. Such as the stupid as hell design choice of registering clicks on the up-click rather than the far more logical down-click. It's such an annoying way to do things. Come on Linux people! We don't need to also implement all of Windows' flaws.

Dur hurr hurr let's register on the up-click that way if someone is fast with the mouse it'll click a completely unrelated and not at all where the user intended spot on the grid. The non-retarded way to do it of course would be to register on the down-click instead. One line of code people. One line of code. Just a flag in fact. You don't have to copy *everything* including the retarded things. Sheesh.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:25:45

What im doing that makes my Windows experience so bad is probably from Windows 8 bullshit.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:28:08

At 8/13/14 10:44 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Yes you can. There's a Linux variant of that. It even "comes standard" with many Linux distros.

It's not the same without the smiley!

But in all seriousness, I don't actually care, I was just joking around. I've experimented with linux myself.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:33:20

At 8/13/14 10:25 PM, yetanotherjohn wrote: But without windows, you can't have the gaming sensation known as Minesweeper!

OMG! You still use Windows 2000? You never switched? Or it's just some download.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:41:04

At 8/13/14 10:36 PM, UVSoaked wrote: If you're having trouble just with Windows, Linux probably isn't for you...

100% agreed.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:41:25

At 8/13/14 11:33 PM, zmosh wrote: OMG! You still use Windows 2000? You never switched? Or it's just some download.

I actually bought an old CD, and put it on a virtual machine. I don't use it for anything serious, just experiment with it.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-13 23:43:44

We use Debian at NG, therefore the only distribution of Linux any of you are allowed to use is Debian.

Or Linux from Scratch if you're hardcore.

Check out my beautiful desktop.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 01:05:08

Try using Ubuntu 14.04.. I'm in the process of building a computer myself and I'm torn between Windows 7 Pro 64Bit or Ubuntu 14.04 64Bit...

I tried the "Try It" feature on the Install CD and it looks nice..I don't have any experience with Linux,but Ubuntu looks pretty good..

Any opinions on my Win 7 or Ubuntu??

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 01:07:59

At 8/13/14 11:43 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: We use Debian at NG, therefore the only distribution of Linux any of you are allowed to use is Debian.

Or Linux from Scratch if you're hardcore.

Check out my beautiful desktop.

Pfft, when I use Linux I use a minimal install of Ubuntu, and then build my dream distro from there. The Ubuntu base is part of that, obviously. That is because there is nothing that's for Linux that doesn't have some kind of .deb package floating around somewhere. And, failing that, I am somewhat versed in building from source.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 01:11:13

At 8/14/14 01:08 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/14/14 01:05 AM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: Any opinions on my Win 7 or Ubuntu??
Several years ago I would have recommended Ubuntu but not any more, since they started bundling ads with it and making it shitted up.
As suggested already, go for Debian.

Thank you,I'm actually looking it up now.. I'm always up for new shit. I appreciate the helpful insight..

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 01:20:55

At 8/13/14 11:25 PM, TeslaShockwave wrote: What im doing that makes my Windows experience so bad is probably from Windows 8 bullshit.

Don't use Windows 8. Use Windows 7, it's way better.

till we overdose

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 08:33:05

At 8/14/14 01:20 AM, ComicD wrote:
At 8/13/14 11:25 PM, TeslaShockwave wrote: What im doing that makes my Windows experience so bad is probably from Windows 8 bullshit.
Don't use Windows 8. Use Windows 7, it's way better.

Unless you're caught up with technology and actually have a touch screen, then Windows 8 is much better.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 08:37:10

At 8/14/14 08:35 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/14/14 08:33 AM, UVSoaked wrote: Unless you're caught up with technology and actually have a touch screen, then Windows 8 is much better.
The way you worded that sentence... you are saying that Win7 is better than 8 for touch-screen.

Than***

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 08:52:34

At 8/14/14 08:40 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/14/14 08:37 AM, UVSoaked wrote:
Unless you're caught up with technology and actually have a touch screen, then Windows 8 is much better.
This sentence means:
Windows 8 is better than Windows 7, unless you use touch screen.
It implies that Windows 7 is better for touch-screen devices than Windows 8.
I presume this was not your intention.

I apologize if it came across that way, but yes, that was not my intention.

And even without a touch screen, I'd still prefer Windows 8. The Store is nice to have (among the other Windows 8 exclusives), and it just generally feels faster/snappier.

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 10:45:54

Or you could just go to XP. But Linux is a good alternative too. You can modify lots of cool things in it

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 11:09:24

At 8/13/14 09:17 PM, TeslaShockwave wrote: Today was the last fucking straw. I have had it with Microsoft Windows, and its bullshit. Why? Well... this is the third time at least its become FUBAR, and I´m sick of going through and reinstalling everything when an update corrupts the damn thing. Sure, Linux may be a minefield of glitchy software, but once you find the quality stuff (like LXDE and GNOME) you´ve got it made.

Software you don't understand how to use =/= glitchy software.

It is recommended to have some knowledge of computer software programming when using the free operating systems, since they live on the changes their users make to them. The usual reason why people move from using windows or apple software to go to linux is to be more free and have complete control over their computers and shape them into being as great as they can make them. If your reason for leaving windows is because you can't handle software updating......linux isn't for you.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck it, I´m switching to Linux 2014-08-14 11:11:26

I've had windows wipe my shit before, but I just grit my teeth and bare it.

BBS Signature