00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HAST3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live!

12,063 Views | 37 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 10:57:20

The Phoenotopia Pre-Release is now available to NG users with supporter status!

If you're a supporter, please take the opportunity to play Phoenotopia ahead of the official release next week and PM Quells with feedback and bug reports! Even if you don't have any suggestions or bugs but enjoy the game, I'm sure Quells would love to hear that too.

As you get deeper and deeper into the game you will probably start saying "This might be the best web game ever!", at which point it would be cool if you shared those thoughts on social media and maybe we'll retweet you and stuff.

Everyone else, fear not! The public release is in one week, Wednesday, August 20th. For now, enjoy this launch trailer.

With help from an AS3 GameInput API tutorial by BoMToons, Quells added gamepad support! I've been playing with an Xbox controller and IT IS AWESOME! To activate gamepad support, press SPACE during play, click the button for Gamepad support and then press a button on your gamepad so the game locates it. It would search by default but there is a performance hit that is a known issue on the Flash side.

Also don't click the fullscreen button on the SPACE menu at the moment, it isn't working but hopefully will be soon!

If you're excited for the official launch of Phoenotopia next week, Follow Quells and it will show up in your feed the moment it is published. Also be sure you are receiving NG emails if you'd like to get a nightly digest of new entries by artists you follow.

Here's a pic of me enjoying Phoenotopia with a gamepad. I'm lounging in the Omni Reloaded, the latest offering from Sumo. Whenever a new Sumo lounger comes along, they send some to the NG office and I post pictures, like I did with the Omni, Sultan, Sway and Solace. We have a lot of Sumo stuff at the office.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 11:06:12

You look priceless

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 11:53:08

Lol, love the pics Tom.

Glad the as3 gamepad tutorial could be some help (and glad it actually worked :-P)

Looking forward to playing this, though I'm kind of *sighing* at how they've done a lot of stuff better than I've done with Super Chibi Knight...

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 11:53:46

The game's interesting so far! It definitely looks like a lot of work was put into it. I still haven't seen much of it but it looks big too. I'll play more of it later, perhaps I can find some bugs & stuff. ;D

Also, it's very cool that you managed to add gamepad support in a Flash game. That's not something I've seen before (except in NG Rumble, I guess? But that still required a mapper).

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 11:55:55

More like FUNotopia.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 11:58:17

This is awesome. Thanks Tom!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:12:17

At 8/13/14 11:53 AM, Minchy64 wrote: Also, it's very cool that you managed to add gamepad support in a Flash game. That's not something I've seen before (except in NG Rumble, I guess? But that still required a mapper).

NG didn't add it - it's a feature in the latest versions of Flash / AS3. HTML5 games support it as well so it's cool to see it growing.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:12:37

At 8/13/14 11:55 AM, test-object wrote: More like FUNotopia.

Woohoo!

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:13:37

At 8/13/14 11:58 AM, ZJ wrote: This is awesome. Thanks Tom!

Really thank Quells and crew for all the time they put into an amazing game. NG was just extremely fortunate to win the sponsorship!

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:40:06

At 8/13/14 11:53 AM, Minchy64 wrote: Also, it's very cool that you managed to add gamepad support in a Flash game. That's not something I've seen before (except in NG Rumble, I guess? But that still required a mapper).

That was added to browser flash just over a year ago. It's not too complicated, but I guess people just don't know about it.

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:45:59

Wish it was realesed to a 3ds and a ds Would be real happy to play it on my ds

Screw you sopa

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:51:29

tom you still wear new balances wtf

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:52:21

Tom looks so cute with those tube socks.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:52:26

Awesome!!! Gonna play it right now! :)

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 12:59:04

At 8/13/14 12:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: That was added to browser flash just over a year ago. It's not too complicated, but I guess people just don't know about it.

Ah, I see. I guess I just had't seen it implemented yet. xD

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 13:12:37

Dang, you sure look like you're having fun!

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 13:17:25

Nothing's more satisfying than smacking these damn bees with a hammer.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 13:19:27

I like this idea of giving supporters access to exclusive stuff.

I'll have to utilize this when I actually have money again.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 13:50:40

So far the game is pretty great and looks like it's going to be an epic adventure! I've just reached the first boss, not quite sure how to defeat it yet. Been shooting rocks into its belly with my slingshot, but that doesn't seem to do much. I really like the art, music and gameplay. Haven't tried it with my xbox controller yet, but keyboard controls work just fine for me.

I'll definitely come back to this game and play some more before I give feedback to Quells, MarshmallowPirate and sillythewilly, but for now have to get back to working on my own game :)

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 13:59:49

At 8/13/14 10:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: The Phoenotopia Pre-Release is now available to NG users with supporter status!

Pretty good so far, even runs well on my quite low-spec system! I've never run into so many chatty NPC's before!

At 8/13/14 01:19 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: I like this idea of giving supporters access to exclusive stuff.

Yeah, an occasional thrown bone is nice once in a while. You usually don't get anything special for having the supporter tag, other than no ads, which is quite sweet in itself! I guess some of that dough went for sponsorship, so it's all good.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 14:39:05

you're a little cutie <3

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 15:22:47

At 8/13/14 12:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/13/14 11:58 AM, ZJ wrote: This is awesome. Thanks Tom!
Really thank Quells and crew for all the time they put into an amazing game. NG was just extremely fortunate to win the sponsorship!

Quite fortunate! ;)

Can't wait to play the release version of this in the near future - I'll have to clear some time to actually play the entire thing through.

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 15:51:33

At 8/13/14 11:06 AM, Wegra wrote: You look priceless

he's a adorable.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 15:56:01

That looks fantastic! I'd buy it on Steam if it was available on there. It reminds me of Cave Story a bit. Oh by the way, Trip Tank now airs on Comedy Central in Holland! I had never heard of the show before, but instantly recognized some of the animation styles that were shown in the commercials. It's a blast to see everyone's work make it to my TV. I guess it's pretty old news by now, but still: AWESOME.

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 16:21:37

At 8/13/14 11:53 AM, BoMToons wrote: Looking forward to playing this, though I'm kind of *sighing* at how they've done a lot of stuff better than I've done with Super Chibi Knight...

Don't worry. Played the Beta, loved it.

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 18:01:41

At 8/13/14 05:39 PM, JustFuckinWitYourBoy wrote: You know who else plugged Sumo? Tim Buckley. Think about that, Tom

Is Tom gonna die of a heroine overdose now?

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 18:04:21

At 8/13/14 04:21 PM, Splats wrote:
At 8/13/14 11:53 AM, BoMToons wrote: Looking forward to playing this, though I'm kind of *sighing* at how they've done a lot of stuff better than I've done with Super Chibi Knight...
Don't worry. Played the Beta, loved it.

*phew*

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 19:04:58

At 8/13/14 06:29 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: I don't have the supporter upgrade anymore but the link still works for me. Might wanna look into that.

It looks like it may be a problem with your account in particular, as it says you are a member rather than a supporter.

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 19:20:59

This looks like a really cool game!

I'm always hesitant to make use of the gamepads, even though my favorite framework (HaxeFlixel) has this built in, and it's very easy to add this feature.
I think I'll start adding support in my games as it seems like it does improve gameplay.

Response to Phoenotopia Pre-Release is Live! 2014-08-13 19:22:33

Haha the launch trailer is on YT and not on NG, even when we have got plenty of trailers uploaded to the page before.