00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LuckyCheshire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do collabs work?

1,180 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:12:31

I was curious as to how collaborations work. How do you work with somebody on a song if you're hundreds to thousands of miles apart? Do you screenshare or.....

What?

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:20:18

Well, the way I do it is just that we have a project file that we just send back and forth between each other. You can make an agreement on forehand like that you'll each create 30 seconds of the track at the time then send it to the other person, or you could just go with the flow. This only works if you both use the same program and the same plugins though. Easiest way might be to exchange mp3's instead of project files. Works the same way as the project file, but you won't be able to edit the other person's work without asking him to do it.

Just a random idiot

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:30:00

I've done a lot of collabs and I can tell you it's different with every person. Just find the flow and let it take you down the river.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:43:32

At 8/10/14 05:20 PM, Ectisity wrote: Well, the way I do it is just that we have a project file that we just send back and forth between each other. You can make an agreement on forehand like that you'll each create 30 seconds of the track at the time then send it to the other person, or you could just go with the flow. This only works if you both use the same program and the same plugins though. Easiest way might be to exchange mp3's instead of project files. Works the same way as the project file, but you won't be able to edit the other person's work without asking him to do it.

Well that seems like a pretty sturdy way of doing it. Hm. Sounds like it takes a long time though. You said you've done collabs yourself?

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:45:24

At 8/10/14 05:30 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I've done a lot of collabs and I can tell you it's different with every person. Just find the flow and let it take you down the river.

(I forgot that you can just reply to both in one post XD) Have you ever encountered a hard time or some trouble during a collab?

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:52:35

Yea, I've done a couple. it works okay, but sometimes SOMEONE takes forever to finish their parts. I once had to wait a month for the other guy to finish a 30 second part XD. He was cool to work with though so I had a great time.
Oh, and hey I haven't thought about screen share actually. My pc lags horribly if I have chrome, fl studio, and skype with screen share on at the same time, but for people with a processor that isn't from 2001, it should actually work fine :).

Just a random idiot

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 17:59:20

At 8/10/14 05:52 PM, Ectisity wrote: Yea, I've done a couple. it works okay, but sometimes SOMEONE takes forever to finish their parts. I once had to wait a month for the other guy to finish a 30 second part XD. He was cool to work with though so I had a great time.
Oh, and hey I haven't thought about screen share actually. My pc lags horribly if I have chrome, fl studio, and skype with screen share on at the same time, but for people with a processor that isn't from 2001, it should actually work fine :).

A month? Oh god. He must've been BUSY. Also, you don't have to use skype for screensharing. Just go to join.me for free screensharing. Fast and easy! You can even set passwords to allow certain people to join! :D

I'm think I;m gonna try to collab with somebody sometime soon. From what I hear from you, it sounds like a fun time!

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 18:37:58

It took 2 years to make an album this way and I only outsourced the vocals. Can you imagine if I had to get people to do other parts too?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 19:02:19

At 8/10/14 06:38 PM, KatMaestro wrote: MIDI for notation and WAV for test, since I got the most tools, I'm the one who usually do most of the work. This only unique to me so far.

Yeah, same here. I've always done the editing and mixing etc. except right at the beginning, around 6 years ago when I worked with someone else and I was the one with very little gear and software. ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-10 19:20:53

At 8/10/14 07:02 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 8/10/14 06:38 PM, KatMaestro wrote: MIDI for notation and WAV for test, since I got the most tools, I'm the one who usually do most of the work. This only unique to me so far.
Yeah, same here. I've always done the editing and mixing etc. except right at the beginning, around 6 years ago when I worked with someone else and I was the one with very little gear and software. ^_^

Funny, I'm currently the one with little gear. Well, not really. The world of torrents is pretty helpful. Plus, I'm young so I have no money to buy the crack plugins and program I use. I would though.

If I were to do a collab at the point that I'm at now, I would do it with someone who has either more experience than me (so they're sort of like a mentor during the whole thing), or someone on the same caliber as me (So we have an air of understanding and something to build on). Then again, somebody with more experience would make more sense. It could help me improve significantly.

BBS Signature

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-11 03:57:59

I mostley just switch flp with the guy all the time and and mostley ends up me doing the final touch cause I like to do that. Also I just let stuff flow sometimes. Cause 1 time I did a collab and the other guy gave me the inspiration and he did some percs and some fx stuff while I created the rest. Not a fair 50/50 but yeah I don't mind as long as u have fun and as long as u work atleast together on the project. I just got more inspired by it then he was but I still putted his name there :)

Response to How do collabs work? 2014-08-11 20:35:22

One of my buddies and I simply exchange Guitar Pro files. I'm our bassist, vocalist, drum programmer, and synth programmer. He is our guitarist, synth programmer, and mixes everything.

As I sad we'll tab everything out as it is actually played and send it to the other person. After a while, the other person would see if he thinks any changes are possible to kind of "spruce it up" a bit, send it back, and after all is said and done, we'll record it!

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature