00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

a way to get credit card before 18?

2,214 Views | 50 Replies

im gonna try to be honest with you guys, since you've always helped me out.

im reaching the age of 18 soon, and for I think years now Ive been watching tutorials and practicing animation.
theres this whole "you can kick your son out to be homeless if his 18" and "you have to be over 18 to get a credit card" and those two just bother me. I "need" a way to make money before il be some toenail biting homeless person out in the streets, and "that" rule is preventing me from getting a credit card and actually saving myself.

and I know its possible for parents to get you a credit and all. but I heard it involves "all you earn goes to them" and all.

il be trying to use the ad thing in youtube soon when I get enough practice. but i do need a credit card for that!

the only plan i had in mind is to get my brother who is 18 to get me one, but he seemed a little disapproving.

is there any other way to actually make it work?

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 20:39:47

At 7/30/14 08:34 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Why would your family kick out by the age of 18? That's the stupidest thing I've heard of. Fair enough if the kid is a drug addict but otherwise, why?

Because his parents are uncaring pieces of fucking shit just like mine.

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 20:40:52

just get one of those prepaid reloadable visa cards

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 20:56:49

-parents are gonna kick me out
-credit card will save him... uh no you have to pay that back and unless you have income its not gonna be good for shit

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 21:13:39

At 7/30/14 09:02 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 7/30/14 08:56 PM, thegarbear14 wrote: -parents are gonna kick me out
-credit card will save him... uh no you have to pay that back and unless you have income its not gonna be good for shit
He wants to use the credit card as collateral to start making money through a monetized YouTube channel. Read the OP?

hes not gonna be rolling in the dough off youtube making animations if his parents kick him out. No home, no guarantee of youtube money paying the bills, and no job. I probably should have expanded on what i meant more but im tired as fuck from work.

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 22:15:25

At 7/30/14 08:37 PM, 24901miles wrote: You can set up a bank account with an attached debit card (words as a credit card for these types of services) just by having an adult cosigner. You don't need a parent in some places.

If you can't get your parents to cosign, and live in a place where you need a parent, you can file for what is called minor emancipation to begin taking on legal responsibilities after demonstrating your independence to a couple government employees.

sounds like a lot of complicated things for an 16 year old to understand ._. they'll just ask me questions I don't know about and il be sweating and with my mouth open, telling them to repeat themselves

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 22:16:29

At 7/30/14 08:40 PM, kazumazkan wrote: just get one of those prepaid reloadable visa cards

aaand I don't need to be 18 to get one..... riiiiiiight

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 22:18:23

hes not gonna be rolling in the dough off youtube making animations if his parents kick him out. No home, no guarantee of youtube money paying the bills, and no job. I probably should have expanded on what i meant more but im tired as fuck from work.

its better to start earning my dough a little and maybe become an animator to help pay off the bills afterwards. alright?

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 22:19:31

Because his parents are uncaring pieces of fucking shit just like mine.

exactly. been threatened to get kicked out of the house since I can remember. it "is" gonna come to me in the face one day

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 23:01:10

Having a bank account with an attached debit card doesn't cost money beyond the initial minimum deposit. That deposit could be as low as $500 at the banks I have used. It's not likely that he would be able to get much interest on it with a low seed deposit, but it's a start. I made my first $100k with that sort of system.

does it cost to make a bank account? I wont be doing any loans, its just to store money in and maybe one day take out some

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 23:01:34

At 7/30/14 10:16 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 7/30/14 08:40 PM, kazumazkan wrote: just get one of those prepaid reloadable visa cards
aaand I don't need to be 18 to get one..... riiiiiiight

not that i know,all i know is you can go to walgreens grab of those crads most likely its called greendot or something similar you pay $5 for activation and then put what ever amount you want and then you can go back and reload it.
you can give it a try.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 23:02:20

Could always trying rooming with a close friend if that happens. As long as you have a job and can help pay rent / bills.

that's just not happening. only person I feel close too is countries away

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-30 23:03:30

not that i know,all i know is you can go to walgreens grab of those crads most likely its called greendot or something similar you pay $5 for activation and then put what ever amount you want and then you can go back and reload it.
you can give it a try.

that doesn't sound like a way for me to store money via youtube

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 01:28:39

It's intended for minors 16 and older whose best interests would be served by granting them legal independence. You would probably need to call your local City Hall to ask them how to apply for emancipation. The process changes from place to place but you should be able to find information for your state online.

At 7/30/14 11:01 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: does it cost to make a bank account? I wont be doing any loans, its just to store money in and maybe one day take out some
It doesn't cost money, but you pay money for the account in the form of a minimum initial deposit. You can't just open an account without money, some form of equity, or credit to your name.

Just be aware that what we're discussing is a heavy burden of responsibility. You need to keep track of your finances, do your research to understand how these things work, and write a plan. Lapses in judgment like overdrafting your account, breaking the law while emancipated, and applying for financial services which you can't handle could have serious consequences. I don't know what your situation is, I'm just giving you the little information I have to offer. It's your decision to make. I think thst it wouod be in your best interests to find an adult to talk to about these questions you have. Do you have any high school teachers you trust?

all that does sound complicated...and no. im home schooled and I don't have anyone I can trust to ask but people online. all this complexity, I feel like giving up now ._. my best bet is still forcing my brother to get me one.

btw is it true that if I ask my parent to make me one she can just take all the money I saved right before im 18 and throw me out? like, I have no responsibility for my own earnings?

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 13:33:55

At 7/31/14 01:36 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: you don't need a credit card to earn money.

you can get a bank account with a debit card attached, and you use the debit card to spend money straight out of the account.

credit cards allow you to spend the bank's money and then pay it back at a later date. The idea of "credit" is that you can quite feasibly spend more money with a credit card than you actually have in the bank at the time, on the understanding that you will have earned enough to pay your bill by the end of the month (or whenever your bank wants payment by)

mmhmm... but so debit is "without" the whole loaning process correct?
also, im still 16, soooooo .-. and it also says I need a bank account if I ever put ads on my youtube videos

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 13:41:11

At 7/31/14 01:36 PM, KatMaestro wrote: If you think you could ever make money with youtube, then you're dead wrong. 16? It's a great age to get a decent job. Go get one.

This. Get a job, and save every penny you can. Do the YouTube thing, too, but on the side. When in dire straights, don't put all your eggs in one basket. The more income(s) you have the better.

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:07:46

At 7/31/14 01:36 PM, KatMaestro wrote:
At 7/31/14 01:33 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
mmhmm... but so debit is "without" the whole loaning process correct?
also, im still 16, soooooo .-. and it also says I need a bank account if I ever put ads on my youtube videos
If you think you could ever make money with youtube, then you're dead wrong. 16? It's a great age to get a decent job. Go get one.

my family wont let me leave the house, and practicing youtube and animation is a great start

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:09:23

At 7/31/14 01:41 PM, WyrmMountain wrote:
At 7/31/14 01:36 PM, KatMaestro wrote: If you think you could ever make money with youtube, then you're dead wrong. 16? It's a great age to get a decent job. Go get one.
This. Get a job, and save every penny you can. Do the YouTube thing, too, but on the side. When in dire straights, don't put all your eggs in one basket. The more income(s) you have the better.

cant my family just take whatever im earning anyway? "get a job! get a job!" yeah and a year from now il have maybe 500, reduced by them taking it or saying "if you earn money go buy your own food, and maybe rent!"

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:11:03

At 7/31/14 01:45 PM, SansNumbers wrote: If you're making Let's Plays you should be donating the money to charity

yeah, cause me saving myself from being a hanging homeless should come last. im not planning on doing a lets play anytime soon anyway

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:38:03

Get emancipated?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:39:26

At 7/31/14 03:38 PM, Radaketor wrote: Get emancipated?

what does that do/ and how will it help me?

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:40:09

At 7/31/14 03:39 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 7/31/14 03:38 PM, Radaketor wrote: Get emancipated?

You will be legally an adult.

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:42:38

You will be legally an adult.

yeah... that's great. just what I need. to be free from my parents and become homeless quicker

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 15:47:23

At 7/31/14 03:42 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: yeah... that's great. just what I need. to be free from my parents and become homeless quicker

Okay; 1- Don't delete the name of the person you're replying to, it won't tell that person when you replied. 2- You want a credit card, if you're emancipated i guess you can get one, i dunno. And if you really think you will make enough money with just Youtube to have your own home or pay part of the rent you're wrong, what do you think you will earn? 1000 bucks? 10 bucks, if you're lucky.

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 16:04:10

At 7/31/14 03:47 PM, Radaketor wrote:
At 7/31/14 03:42 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: yeah... that's great. just what I need. to be free from my parents and become homeless quicker
Okay; 1- Don't delete the name of the person you're replying to, it won't tell that person when you replied. 2- You want a credit card, if you're emancipated i guess you can get one, i dunno. And if you really think you will make enough money with just Youtube to have your own home or pay part of the rent you're wrong, what do you think you will earn? 1000 bucks? 10 bucks, if you're lucky.

1 sorry im a bit new to this .-. 2- well ive seen lots of animator youtubes. if I make about three decent animations I might make it to maybe over 1000, who knows. its better then to sit down and do nothing all day where I can instead practice to animate in youtube, and if that doesn't work out, I have something to show if I ever apply for a job as an animator.

what suggestion do "you" have? work at mc donalds, get 20 bucks, get that taken away? I know what im doing, I thought this through. even tho its not easy, its the best choice I have

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 19:11:57

At 7/31/14 06:00 PM, 24901miles wrote: It's simple. Maybe being homeschooled has given you a skewed idea of what complicated is? You just need to read about how it works until it makes sense to you.
I have no idea. That sounds unfair. If I were you, I would keep my earnings hidden. There is no reason why your parents should know how much you're making unless you start paying them rent.

I guess. but it feels like itll be easier if I get to ask an adult or something.

and I know right? I think I read about it or asked on a different site and got "if they pay rent and as long as youre under 18 they can do whatever they want, its their money!"
just feels unfair. its like if we don't please our parents, even when their expectations are up the roof! we can get our teeth punched out as homeless people. kids are supposed to have some chances, gosh

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 20:16:23

Good luck with your situation. Personally I think there should be some sort of option where people who are in a bad living environment could easily and voluntarily relocate to government-funded housing, with social worker assistance as-needed. So there could be a government-appointed guardian for minors, but you keep all your money, and they're just there to help, for legal reasons, etc... And even job-placement assistance. Only for as long as needed to help people get on their feet.

Because really there's no good social net for people who perhaps grew up in less than desirable circumstances, or who ended up in such. And while there are various government aid/etc... lots of times people who need it can't get it, and definitely not without going through all kinds of hoops to get there. And there is race and gender discrimination in government welfare services too, which isn't right at all. If you aren't minority female with children you can pretty much forget getting government assistance. You can try, but good luck.

There basically need to be better welfare services and more push to helping those on such services to find jobs and to eventually get off the services.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 20:23:08

At 7/31/14 08:16 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Good luck with your situation. Personally I think there should be some sort of option where people who are in a bad living environment could easily and voluntarily relocate to government-funded housing, with social worker assistance as-needed. So there could be a government-appointed guardian for minors, but you keep all your money, and they're just there to help, for legal reasons, etc... And even job-placement assistance. Only for as long as needed to help people get on their feet.

Because really there's no good social net for people who perhaps grew up in less than desirable circumstances, or who ended up in such. And while there are various government aid/etc... lots of times people who need it can't get it, and definitely not without going through all kinds of hoops to get there. And there is race and gender discrimination in government welfare services too, which isn't right at all. If you aren't minority female with children you can pretty much forget getting government assistance. You can try, but good luck.

There basically need to be better welfare services and more push to helping those on such services to find jobs and to eventually get off the services.

A-men to that. they should really do something about all this, I know.
I mean, don't you think parents can take advantage of that and just make their kids do "anything" they want or threaten to kick them to be a teen homeless? this is all just so messed up. if I ever grow to be extremely successful and the government wants me to do stuff or whatever <example.) i'd say F*ck you! what did you do to help me, or to any of us teens who got taken advantage of with all kind of abuse! NOTHING!

BBS Signature

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 21:12:57

At 7/31/14 08:23 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
A-men to that. they should really do something about all this, I know.
I mean, don't you think parents can take advantage of that and just make their kids do "anything" they want or threaten to kick them to be a teen homeless? this is all just so messed up. if I ever grow to be extremely successful and the government wants me to do stuff or whatever <example.) i'd say F*ck you! what did you do to help me, or to any of us teens who got taken advantage of with all kind of abuse! NOTHING!

Oh I agree with you entirely. Unfortunately there are inadequate services. Also unfortunate how for adoption there is huge bias in favor of Christian adoptive parents, when many times abusers are Christian. Plus I don't see how that sits well with the whole "separation of church and state" to have bias favoritism to one religious group over others but they do.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to a way to get credit card before 18? 2014-07-31 21:16:46

At 7/30/14 08:33 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: im gonna try to be honest with you guys, since you've always helped me out.

im reaching the age of 18 soon, and for I think years now Ive been watching tutorials and practicing animation.
theres this whole "you can kick your son out to be homeless if his 18" and "you have to be over 18 to get a credit card" and those two just bother me. I "need" a way to make money before il be some toenail biting homeless person out in the streets, and "that" rule is preventing me from getting a credit card and actually saving myself.

and I know its possible for parents to get you a credit and all. but I heard it involves "all you earn goes to them" and all.

il be trying to use the ad thing in youtube soon when I get enough practice. but i do need a credit card for that!

the only plan i had in mind is to get my brother who is 18 to get me one, but he seemed a little disapproving.

is there any other way to actually make it work?

You don't need a credit card, you need a bank account.
If you had a bank account you can a route number, and the money you earn goes into your bank account.
Usually a debit card is supplied with a bank account, ask your parents about starting a bank account.