00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cementtt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New To Flash-creator Resources Help

501 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Alright, hey everyone.
For a while now I've always to learn how to program, thankfully NG has a Creator Resources page.
Right now I want to learn how to make Flash, Flash games, animation, whatever. I'm set on learning Flash. I'm on the Resources page and I'm looking at Animation Resources, Art Resources, Flash Resources, and Game and Dev Resources.
Trying to understand the Game and Dev Resources page, I should download:
Flixel or FlashPunk - I'm divided on this because I'm looking at both their sample games pages, I might go with Flixel since there is two tutorials right on the page. Question, I don't exclusively want to make 8-bit games so should I still go with this ?
Stencyl or Construct 2 - Again divided but if I'm going with Flixel I should pair it with Stencyl since it's "a development tool built on top of Flixel".
[insert 3D Game Development Tools] - Flare3D isn't out yet, at least not a "full version" if I'm reading it correctly and from what I'm reading NG doesn't support Unity3D. Unless anyone in the community knows another 3D Game Development Tool ?
FlashDevelop - Is this just another alternative to Flixel and FlashPunk ? Should I download this as well with Flixel/FlashPunk ?
The Miner - "The main goal is to help expose and diagnose problems before they get too big", sounds good, something I'd pay for, price isn't bad.
DAME Editor or Ogmo Editor - If I'm going with Flixel then I should pair it with DAME Editor. Yes or no ?

Flash Resources:
I need help understanding this page.

Art Resources:
Raster Software:
GIMP or Art Rage - I doubt what I'm going to be drawing is "fine art pieces" so I'll go with GIMP but then again Art Rage is just $25. Opinions ?
Vector Software:
Inkscape or Sumo Paint - I'm going to go with Inkscape
3D Art Software:
[see 3D Animation Resources]
Other Art Software:
GraphicsGale or Apophysis - I'm going with both since they do different things. Again I could be reading wrong.

Animation Resources:
2D Animation Software:
Swivel, Toon Boom, or Powerbullet Presenter - Swivel to convert my Flash animation into video files and Powerbullet Presenter to make animations, presentations, and export them to SWF format. So download both of these ? Also does Toon Boom do what Swivel and Powerbullet Presenter do ? If so, i could see myself purchasing it in the future.
3D Animation Software:
Blender or Swift3D - Blender because it's free, maybe Swift3D since the price isn't tooo bad. I might just stay with Blender though since it's free and I doubt there is much you can do with Swift3D that you can't do with Blender. I know nothing of 3D Animation Software so I might be wrong, tell me if I am.

So to begin learning how to do anything Flash I should download:
Flixel
Stencyl
The Miner
DAME Editor
GIMP
Inkscape
GraphicsGale
Apophysis
Swivel
Powerbullet Presenter
Blender

Am I good or ?

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 00:13:55

At 7/23/14 11:55 PM, TheB0a wrote: Am I good or ?

Most people tend to focus on either programming or art or music. You don't need to download everything on the resource pages.

In general, notepad++, audacity, and GIMP are enough for miscellaneous things for everyone. After that, you can get the specific tool you want to use. So what exactly do you want to do?

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 00:31:17

To start, as a programmer I can say don't download Flixel or DAME. Get a year or so learning programming before you undertake them.

And what those above have said, pick out a trade you're really interested and focus on it.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 17:16:43

At 7/24/14 12:13 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/23/14 11:55 PM, TheB0a wrote: Am I good or ?
Most people tend to focus on either programming or art or music. You don't need to download everything on the resource pages.

In general, notepad++, audacity, and GIMP are enough for miscellaneous things for everyone. After that, you can get the specific tool you want to use. So what exactly do you want to do?

Sorry for the late reply, right now I just want to make Flash animations and games.

At 7/24/14 12:31 AM, MintPaw wrote: To start, as a programmer I can say don't download Flixel or DAME. Get a year or so learning programming before you undertake them.

And what those above have said, pick out a trade you're really interested and focus on it.

I have to learn a different language before I even start "Flash programming" ?

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 17:40:03

At 7/24/14 05:16 PM, TheB0a wrote: Sorry for the late reply, right now I just want to make Flash animations and games.

Those are 2 very different things. Flash animations are all Flash Pro or ToonBoom. Flash games require coding.

Flash isn't a coding language. DAME is a level editor. Flixel is a library of code. Flash games are made with the coding languages AS3 or haxe, but since you didn't know that already, you should stick with AS3. If you make a game anytime soon, it'll be complete crap. Just practice for a while before you get carried away.

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 17:53:03

At 7/24/14 05:40 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/24/14 05:16 PM, TheB0a wrote: Sorry for the late reply, right now I just want to make Flash animations and games.
Those are 2 very different things. Flash animations are all Flash Pro or ToonBoom. Flash games require coding.

Flash isn't a coding language. DAME is a level editor. Flixel is a library of code. Flash games are made with the coding languages AS3 or haxe, but since you didn't know that already, you should stick with AS3. If you make a game anytime soon, it'll be complete crap. Just practice for a while before you get carried away.

I plan on the crappy games, how else am I gunna get better. So I should learn AS3, okay so what should I download ? For both animations and games.
Also, again I'm new to this, I don't know what a "library of code" is.

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 18:09:10

At 7/24/14 05:53 PM, TheB0a wrote: I plan on the crappy games, how else am I gunna get better. So I should learn AS3, okay so what should I download ? For both animations and games.
Also, again I'm new to this, I don't know what a "library of code" is.

Animations: Flash pro or ToonBoom. Both of which cost money.

Games: FlashDevelop (windows only)/Sublime Text with plugins

A library of code is a bunch of someone else's code that makes your life easier.

If you don't understand what you're coding, you won't even be able to make working crappy games. It requires practice and time.

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 20:46:05

At 7/24/14 06:09 PM, MSGhero wrote: Animations: Flash pro or ToonBoom. Both of which cost money.

Games: FlashDevelop (windows only)/Sublime Text with plugins

A library of code is a bunch of someone else's code that makes your life easier.

If you don't understand what you're coding, you won't even be able to make working crappy games. It requires practice and time.

Downloaded FlashDevelop, next is Sublime Text. I'm using windows so no worries.
Thanks.

Response to New To Flash-creator Resources Help 2014-07-24 20:49:48

At 7/24/14 08:46 PM, TheB0a wrote: Downloaded FlashDevelop, next is Sublime Text. I'm using windows so no worries.
Thanks.

It's one or the other, you don't need both. Find some tutorials that use flashdevelop, a lot of them will be using Flash pro which may not help you as much.