00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

programing sucks 2014-07-22 19:53:13

i hate programing trying to understand anything in it for three weeks but all of it is nonsense.
I'm trying to program games but no hope.

any good ways to learn it?

mohas

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-22 20:05:22

At 7/22/14 07:53 PM, MOHAMMED22 wrote: i hate programing trying to understand anything in it for three weeks but all of it is nonsense.

Practice is the only way to learn something like programming. There are tools out there that let you build games without any programming knowledge, like Stencyl and Construct 2.

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-22 20:22:06

At 7/22/14 07:53 PM, MOHAMMED22 wrote: i hate programing trying to understand anything in it for three weeks but all of it is nonsense.

Maybe start here.

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-26 22:14:51

Programming is like drawing or singing - either you have the innate talent to do it - or you don't. Not everyone is cut out to be a programmer. This does NOT mean you are stupid; I know many very intelligent people who do not have the ability to program.

Programming a computer is akin to learning a foreign language to a tribe of people who take everything literally, and have no patience for errors. Understanding the basics of how to speak to them (syntax) and what words to use (language) falls squarely on your shoulders. How well do you think you could learn a foreign language?

It's a matter of how your brain is wired- when challenged with a program, can you visualize the logic and write it out step by step (flowchart), and then for each step, figure out the code to make each step work?

You also need to have a grasp on algebra (variables) and Boolean logic - and be able to break down big problems into little steps.

It is true that there are many tools out today that let you drag-and-drop to build games or websites or other tools; in that case, you're really not programming, but just putting together large modules that give you generalized results. You will invariably discover that these tools get you only "most of the way" - and that there will be features and logic and special processing you may need that just isn't available in the tool... but a programmer would be able to fill in those gaps with custom code.

I'm not saying to give up if it's hard - by all means, please give it your best efforts. I am not sure how far along you are, but if you are a beginner - or just want to start from the beginning again to get a fresh perspective - try this:

Intro to Programming

It may be a little simplified, but you can look at this and honestly say "yes, I understand all of this and I can do that", then keep swinging along. The key is this: you just don't start out on day one with "I want to program a game today". You need to learn some fundamentals and building blocks (small modules) that can be used to make bigger modules, which then lets you go from building simple programs to more complex ones.

It's like building a city of Legos - you have to build each car and each house first, and when you build a skyscraper, start at the bottom and build up, piece by piece. You then have to lay them all out on Lego streets, and make it all look the way you want. It's a lot of work, but it can be done in time.

I wish you well, so please don't get discouraged if it doesn't all click right away - if you are meant to be a programmer, you will get that "aha" moment - and it will be one of the best days of your life.

I should know - I've been programming a very long time....

Good luck!

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-27 10:55:05

At 7/22/14 08:22 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:

Maybe start here.

I think Codecademy is pretty bad for learning to program. Fine for HTML/CSS though. Probably fine if you already know a programming language and want to pick up another one but it sucks for an absolute beginner.

These are much better:

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
http://inventwithpython.com/chapters/

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-27 10:58:42

At 7/27/14 10:55 AM, Jolly wrote: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

Didn't realise this had some stupid start up screen now that makes it seem like it costs money. It's free.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Response to programing sucks 2014-07-28 07:18:15

I know to program but basic stuff that's why I'm an animator

Response to programing sucks 2014-08-10 07:58:52

Maybe you're just not cut out for programing.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to programing sucks 2014-08-20 19:52:55

This is how programming works, at least for me;
1)You have an idea
2)You break the idea down
3)You build it

However, when you break the idea down you'll run into something you don't know how to do, such as making a timer, or allowing your player to attack. I then Google/YouTube how to solve this solve, and how to code this.
When you start programming you will be Googling/researching A LOT but eventual, after Googling how to make a timer 100 times, you'll remember how to do these things and it'l feel just like writing in plain English.

Hope this helps, if its understandable.

Response to programing sucks 2014-08-23 15:54:22

This is quite possibly the best resource for learning to program.

BBS Signature