00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Houston we have a problem

905 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 21:06:31

I own over 60 Nes games and most of them work on my real Nes, but recently I bought two nes games that refuse to work on my Nes console. These two titles are Super Off Road Nes and Gauntlet II nes. I bought these two games because I wanted 4 player games for my nes but it only works on my nes clone. Does anyone know if the Four Score works on nes clones such as retrobit? I hope it does because these two games do not work on my real nes. (sad face)

This is crazy, because the rest of the games I own work on my console. I sure hope it isn't 4 player games that don't read on my Original nes with a new 72 pin connector. That would be a oddity.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 21:11:06

Or the cartridges are broken or worn out. The fact the game is 4 players means absolutely nothing.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 21:24:31

At 7/17/14 09:11 PM, sweet21 wrote: Or the cartridges are broken or worn out. The fact the game is 4 players means absolutely nothing.

If they are worn out, then why would it work on a clone console?

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 21:28:28

At 7/17/14 09:24 PM, TheKlown wrote:
At 7/17/14 09:11 PM, sweet21 wrote: Or the cartridges are broken or worn out. The fact the game is 4 players means absolutely nothing.
If they are worn out, then why would it work on a clone console?

To be sure, these are games legitimately from that era, and not some modern day ROM hacks like Harry Potter on the NES right>? If I remember correctly the original NES didn't have that much power, and come to think of it 4 players might be too much, when double dragon couldn't even fit 2 players unless they were by themselves, a as clone characters.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 21:42:22

Could Nintendo's idiotic lock-out chip be causing me a headache with these games? Maybe it has a hard time reading these games for some reason? Is it safe if I do what this guy did in his video or could I ruin the Nes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vL5TE0UQo

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-17 22:52:48

If you don't own an NES model 2, you should probably replace your current one with that; it's a lot less prone to failure & it's non-region-locked. It's also a lot more collectible since it came out in 1993, two years after the SNES.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-18 00:07:04

At 7/17/14 10:52 PM, FlockMastaBack wrote: If you don't own an NES model 2, you should probably replace your current one with that; it's a lot less prone to failure & it's non-region-locked. It's also a lot more collectible since it came out in 1993, two years after the SNES.

Had my father who works in construction rip off the region locked part and now Gauntlett 2 works. However Super Road still doesn't work and I think the person that sold me that might have sold me a broken game that still partially works on a clone console. Basically I think there's a missing chip on it and thats why it's not recognized. Sucks because I'm out 8.54 and left him positive feedback. Oh well, sucks... Or maybe something else is wrong with my Nes and thats why it can't read Super Off Road. I don't think so tho because I've looked in the Super Off Road cartridge and it looks like one of the chips on the right or left side is ripped off. I know it's normal for some chips to be off in the middle but I don't think its normal when chips pieces are missing on the left or right side of the cartridge.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-18 01:10:59

At 7/18/14 12:07 AM, TheKlown wrote: but I don't think its normal when chips pieces are missing on the left or right side of the cartridge.

chip pieces? or are you referring to pins.

alot of times the pins or slot is warn down, try adjusting the cartridge in the slot in different positions.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-18 01:32:03

At 7/18/14 01:10 AM, Patcoola wrote:
At 7/18/14 12:07 AM, TheKlown wrote: but I don't think its normal when chips pieces are missing on the left or right side of the cartridge.
chip pieces? or are you referring to pins.

alot of times the pins or slot is warn down, try adjusting the cartridge in the slot in different positions.

No, I mean the actual chip in the Nes cartridge. I know what pins are. My Nes plays games flawlessy as long as the game isn't defective or really dirty. I have a new 72-pin in mine that I bought off ebay. Every game I put in my Nes usually works the first try in if the game is clean and has been taken care of. It's just that I'm unfortunate that lately it seems like I found 2 copies of Nes games that people didn't take of. I think both Super Off Road and Gauntlet 2 were both poorly taken care of. Super Off Road has a deep scratch on the right side of it as if someone threw it against something.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-18 01:58:50

At 7/18/14 01:32 AM, TheKlown wrote: Super Off Road has a deep scratch on the right side of it as if someone threw it against something.

that sucks man, I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

anyways, I remember back in the day when everybody was selling old used NES games, like the video rental place, they sold old inventory for $10 a game and many of them was in bad shape and some where not working. also many had the thick marker writing on the cartridges. just thought i'd share my memories.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-18 02:32:04

At 7/18/14 01:58 AM, Patcoola wrote: anyways, I remember back in the day when everybody was selling old used NES games, like the video rental place, they sold old inventory for $10 a game and many of them was in bad shape and some where not working. also many had the thick marker writing on the cartridges. just thought i'd share my memories.

The game for some reason plays in my Nes clone console, but the thing is the Nes clone console doesn't work with Four Score so I can't play the game in 4 players as intended it for. I think a racing game is pretty stupid to own unless you're playing it with a bunch of other friends. Or so I've heard four score doesn't work with clone consoles. Haven't tested it out yet because I'm waiting for my four score in the mail.

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-21 09:01:13

I take it you've cleaned the cart's pins, with a q tip or whatever?

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-21 23:25:54

3 games don't work right with the original nes i own and this is 3 games of the 63 nes cartridges I own! The other 60 work flawlessly! And yes of course i clean the carts out with alcohol and q-tips. Smash TV won't play on my original Nintendo, Super Off Road won't, and Gauntlett 2 takes a heck of me blowing into the cart to finally get it to work. I don't understand it. Am I unfortunate latley that 3 games I bought recently don't work right in my Nes? I think people shouldn't be allowed to sell Nes Cartridges unless they try the Cartridge out on a real Nes. It seems that sellers are all using clone consoles... :(

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-22 00:16:10

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-22 06:17:59

Clean the cartridges

Response to Houston we have a problem 2014-07-22 15:19:09

At 7/22/14 06:17 AM, Indeks wrote: Clean the cartridges

I did. What more can someone do other than clean it with rubbing alcohol and q-tips? Is there something else better to clean it with and maybe I should take the cartridge apart and clean it with something else?