00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Deleting Posts Before Milestones

1,823 Views | 46 Replies

Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:11:34

I will preface this post by saying this is merely curiosity, and by no means a complaint.

Why do moderators delete users posts before they reach a new milestone (usually a number of thousands)?

I noticed this as I had previously been only 5 or 6 posts away from 11,000, but am now nearly 70 posts away. I can understand doing this if a user has blatantly been spamming or shit-posting in order to reach the number, but I honestly have been posting pretty rarely and sparsely these past few weeks. I was mildly excited about 11,000 posts, but not enough to change my posting habits, so I just posted as usual, figuring I'd eventually reach 11,000 when I reached it; no spamming, no blatant +1s, no "Hey, just reached 11,000 posts!" thread to be seen. And yet, sixty of my posts were deleted today. I don't care enough about reaching another milestone to be upset about the deletion of these posts (and they probably weren't too grand anyway), but still I find myself wondering why.

Why are moderators intent on slowing down users from reaching these milestones? I've seen and heard of this happening to many users before; some who were blatantly spamming to reach the number, some who were clearly not. Why does this happen every thousand posts a user makes?

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:16:12

I dont know, maybe the are inconsiderate.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:17:16

because some time they're sad on the inside and want people to be miserable just as them all though it's just a minuscule thing and not really to worry about although i do understand that it can be annoying.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:27:44

At 7/16/14 07:11 PM, Scarface wrote: Why do moderators delete users posts before they reach a new milestone (usually a number of thousands)?

WE DELIGHT IN MINOR DISAPPOINTMENTS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

but really when you accumulate lots of posts, it becomes more and more likely that when other users have their threads removed/accounts deleted that it will make a dent in your post counts. BBS mods can't delete old posts anyway, so if anything was removed you would have made it fairly recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:31:53

At 7/16/14 07:23 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
Because user accounts get removed or all their posts get removed and if they've made threads, it will affect other users post counts.
At 7/16/14 07:27 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
but really when you accumulate lots of posts, it becomes more and more likely that when other users have their threads removed/accounts deleted that it will make a dent in your post counts. BBS mods can't delete old posts anyway, so if anything was removed you would have made it fairly recently.

I considered this, but 60 posts in one day seems high. Was a popular forum regular recently deleted?

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:32:42

Claims he doesn't care about postcount milestones.
Makes thread complaining about deleted posts affecting his postcount milestones.

As has been said, threads get deleted as well as all posts therein. You're not special. They're not just specifically targeting your posts for special deletion. (Although perhaps you gave them an idea)

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 19:36:40

At 7/16/14 07:31 PM, Scarface wrote: I considered this, but 60 posts in one day seems high. Was a popular forum regular recently deleted?

Vnzi's the only one that comes to mind.

And as I said, you'd notice if 60 posts made in the past 2 months (I think its 2 months?) went missing, since mods can only delete recently made posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:08:33

At 7/16/14 07:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 7/16/14 07:31 PM, Scarface wrote: I considered this, but 60 posts in one day seems high. Was a popular forum regular recently deleted?

And as I said, you'd notice if 60 posts made in the past 2 months (I think its 2 months?) went missing, since mods can only delete recently made posts.

that's bullshit.

I lost hundreds of posts when some fuckface moderator went on a deleting spree in my post history.

I still have a newspost from back when I was losing about 30 posts a day.

I quit the site until the deletions stopped then i came back.

none of them were recent posts, either.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:16:57

At 7/16/14 08:08 PM, Raab wrote:
At 7/16/14 07:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: And as I said, you'd notice if 60 posts made in the past 2 months (I think its 2 months?) went missing, since mods can only delete recently made posts.
that's bullshit.

I lost hundreds of posts when some fuckface moderator went on a deleting spree in my post history.
I still have a newspost from back when I was losing about 30 posts a day.
I quit the site until the deletions stopped then i came back.
none of them were recent posts, either.

Again, may I remind you that mods can't delete old posts, and the older posts were removed due to user accounts being deleted.

But you can choose what you want to believe. I'm sure the 0.5% of the posts that you had removed were pure unforgettable gold that you will forever miss.

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:22:55

At 7/16/14 08:16 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Again, may I remind you that mods can't delete old posts, and the older posts were removed due to user accounts being deleted.

But you can choose what you want to believe. I'm sure the 0.5% of the posts that you had removed were pure unforgettable gold that you will forever miss.

like i said..... hundreds of posts.... I'm talking like ~400.

So it was more like 5% than .5%

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:40:16

At 7/16/14 07:32 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Claims he doesn't care about postcount milestones.
Makes thread complaining about deleted posts affecting his postcount milestones.

Didn't read entire OP.
Didn't read rest of thread.
Makes himself look like a dumbass.

I honestly just wonder why the timing, because it seems oddly coincidental. I really don't think there is a moderator conspiracy against me and my great, big, life-long aspiration of reaching 11,000 posts (arbitrary number, I know, but I've waited my whole life to reach it), and I must admit I wouldn't be too terribly upset if there were one.

Maybe you should read threads before you respond to them! Now run off to bed, it's getting late!

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:41:33

At 7/16/14 07:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

WHAT?

Vnzi's gone?

How did this happen?

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:51:52

Well, considering we've had people like Vnzi have their accounts deleted, it's not really much of a suprise, as you may have posted in one of their threads, which are probably also gone now.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:52:43

At 7/16/14 08:51 PM, JRob wrote: Well, considering we've had people like Vnzi have their accounts deleted, it's not really much of a suprise, as you may have posted in one of their threads, which are probably also gone now.

Why did Vnzi leave anyway?

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:56:38

At 7/16/14 08:52 PM, poopmcfarts wrote: Why did Vnzi leave anyway?

She utterly despised this place.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 20:58:38

At 7/16/14 08:51 PM, JRob wrote: Well, considering we've had people like Vnzi have their accounts deleted, it's not really much of a suprise, as you may have posted in one of their threads, which are probably also gone now.

I hadn't noticed Vnzi's absence. I shall miss that presence in these forums.

But yeah, that about explains at least 60 posts

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 21:28:09

At 7/16/14 08:40 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 7/16/14 07:32 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Claims he doesn't care about postcount milestones.
Didn't read entire OP.
Didn't read rest of thread.
Makes himself look like a dumbass.

How cute! Thinking that just because people don't interpret things the way you want it means they didn't read the thread. Adorable!

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:17:51

At 7/16/14 09:28 PM, NeonSpider wrote: How cute! Thinking that just because people don't interpret things the way you want it means they didn't read the thread. Adorable!

So you actually read the thread and chose the stupidest response?

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:29:40

When I moderate I don't care about your stats. Unless, of course, you're making a stat post. Then I care because I'll delete it. I doubt most mods are paying that much attention. It's just a byproduct of cleaning things up.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:39:14

At 7/16/14 08:58 PM, Scarface wrote:
I hadn't noticed Vnzi's absence. I shall miss that presence in these forums.

But yeah, that about explains at least 60 posts

I have no idea who this person is, and why do you three care about his/her absence?

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:43:13

At 7/16/14 10:17 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 7/16/14 09:28 PM, NeonSpider wrote: How cute! Thinking that just because people don't interpret things the way you want it means they didn't read the thread. Adorable!
So you actually read the thread and chose the stupidest response?

It was an accurate response. Whether you consider it a stupid response or not isn't of much concern.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:49:20

At 7/16/14 10:43 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It was an accurate response. Whether you consider it a stupid response or not isn't of much concern.

Please, please, DO point out in what way your response was accurate. Exactly where in the OP did I complain about my 11,000-post-dream was shattered?

I asked about the odd timing (which I had seen before) and the apparent lack of motivation for the deletion, nothing more.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:51:33

At 7/16/14 10:17 PM, Scarface wrote: So you actually read the thread and chose the stupidest response?

> Doesn't like what they hear.
> Must be stupid.

gg

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:54:15

At 7/16/14 10:39 PM, Demonbrunch wrote: I have no idea who this person is, and why do you three care about his/her absence?

Because Vnzi was such a huge deal.

One of the 'ol forum regulars.

Not to mention the "red shades" thing.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 22:57:26

At 7/16/14 10:39 PM, Demonbrunch wrote: I have no idea who this person is, and why do you three care about his/her absence?

Vnzi was just a forum regular, no one huge. I exaggerated my response a bit for humor, Vnzi was more or less just a familiar name to see in the forums, but I remember enjoying their posts, and its always a bit disheartening to lose a user you enjoy knowing, even if only a bit.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 23:34:20

At 7/16/14 10:49 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 7/16/14 10:43 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It was an accurate response. Whether you consider it a stupid response or not isn't of much concern.
Please, please, DO point out in what way your response was accurate. Exactly where in the OP did I complain about my 11,000-post-dream was shattered?

Selections from original post:

"I was mildly excited about 11,000 posts" ... "And yet, sixty of my posts were deleted today." ... "Why are moderators intent on slowing down users from reaching these milestones?"

And so forth.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 23:43:55

At 7/16/14 11:34 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 7/16/14 10:49 PM, Scarface wrote:
Selections from original post:

"I was mildly excited about 11,000 posts" ...

Admittedly, I was, which is reasonable. I see you chose to ignore the word "mildly."

"And yet, sixty of my posts were deleted today."

I don't know how many of your posts get deleted, but that's an exceptionally large amount of posts to be deleted in one day. Something as unusual as that is reasonable to be curious about.

"Why are moderators intent on slowing down users from reaching these milestones?"

I had seen this happen many times before someone reached a milestone, and wondered reasonably (noticing a theme, here?) if that was something that was meant to be done and if so, what the reason behind it was.

You seem to jump to an awful lot of conclusions.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-16 23:48:48

At 7/16/14 11:43 PM, Scarface wrote: You seem to jump to an awful lot of conclusions.

Says the guy who jumps to the conclusion that moderators specifically delete his posts just to keep him from that elusive 11,000 as a sort of moderator hobby. But of course now they have an incentive to do it for the lols.

Also seems someone cares an awful lot for someone who claims not to care so much. Just saying.

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-17 00:01:45

This happens all the time. I should have been to 5,900 BBS posts a couple weeks ago if some of the posts weren't deleted. And right now my number of posts dropped to 5,880. I wonder how many posts I'd have if none of them were deleted.

BBS Signature

Response to Deleting Posts Before Milestones 2014-07-17 00:01:49

At 7/16/14 11:48 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 7/16/14 11:43 PM, Scarface wrote: You seem to jump to an awful lot of conclusions.
Says the guy who jumps to the conclusion that moderators specifically delete his posts just to keep him from that elusive 11,000 as a sort of moderator hobby.

Something happens multiple times, it's reasonable to assume there's cause for i.t

But of course now they have an incentive to do it for the lols.

I don't think any of the moderators are half as childish as you.

Also seems someone cares an awful lot for someone who claims not to care so much. Just saying.

Devoted to my post count? Not really. Curious about sudden changes that match others before? Yeah. Again. Reasonable.