00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrSilverX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Converting XNA to .swf

1,408 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-16 16:22:26

I want to learn how to program my own games, and I read that a good place to start would be to write in C#, and use XNA Game Studio. But when I make games, I want to eventually put them on Newgrounds. Is there an easy way to make XNA games in .swf format, or would learning it be a huge waste of time on my end? If the latter proves true, what would be my best alternative? I basically want a very general programming language and engine for making games from the ground up, so I can reuse and much of the coding as the games get bigger and more complex. Something that could make a point and click rpg, or a platformer. Something that can be used to infinity and beyond, but inexpensive, and can be easily converted to other formats (that's why I don't just use flash and ActionScript, because those are neither easily converted or inexpensive)

Response to Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-16 17:32:12

There is no way to make a game in xna and get a .swf out of it. If you want to use C# and make web games learn Unity3D which has a webplayer supported here on NG.

HD BigVGames

Response to Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-16 23:47:29

At 7/16/14 05:32 PM, bigvgames wrote: There is no way to make a game in xna and get a .swf out of it. If you want to use C# and make web games learn Unity3D which has a webplayer supported here on NG.

Is it free? That's the main reason I don't simply use flash. The full version costs like $700, the trial doesn't last long, and getting the full one free often results in viruses.
Also I hear c# is good for beginners.

Response to Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-29 22:24:42

These issues are still unresolved

Response to Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-30 02:43:43

At 7/29/14 10:24 PM, StumpyAlex wrote: These issues are still unresolved

Flash(AS3) as a platform is free. You are probably talking about the IDE (Flash CS) which is expensive, but you don't actually need to buy it to develop games for Flash.

I say go with HTML5/Javascript

Response to Converting XNA to .swf 2014-07-31 01:34:09

At 7/29/14 10:24 PM, StumpyAlex wrote: These issues are still unresolved

As others have stated here, you don't need Flash CS to make flash games. You can download Flashdevelop and make use the Flash library for free. I think Unity3D is free unless you want to export to other targets.

It all depends on where you plan to put your game and what language you are comfortable with.
If you wanna use C# I would personally pick Unity3D over XNA. (I've used both but never finished a whole game with either)
There are several frameworks for different languages that can be used to make a game for Newgrounds. Just look around.

Phaser (Javascript or Typescript)
Flixel (Actionscript 3)
HaxeFlixel (HaXe)
Flashpunk (Actionscript 3)
Unity3D (Java, C# or Boo)
Citrus (Actionscript 3 )