00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EggSmash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Japan ending its post-war military

804 Views | 8 Replies

The Prime Minister of Japan is moving to end the country’s ban on an abroad military. This has been met with mixed opinions

Many in Japan do not seem to like this out of fear of their troops being sent into wars between other countries. One man even went as far as to set himself on fire.

I have a mixed view on this. I see some good out of this; as it allows Japan to strengthen itself against an ever growing China and gives us a strong ally in the Pacific. However I can see that some of the east Asian nations being wary of this due to Japan's aggressions during WWII, however the Japan of today isn't the same as the Japan of then.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-05 01:35:22

At 7/4/14 03:44 PM, Korriken wrote: Good on Japan, given that it relies on the USA to defend them and those the USA are in debt to (like China) can hold that over the USA's head as they do as they please to Japan.

Every country should have the right to defend itself and I have no doubt that Japan's military, though small, would be interestingly formidable.

I'm not sure you understand what the revelation is here. Japan has had one of the best funded militaries in the world for decades, at time (not sure if this is current) being the second best funded after the United States. Japan's military has always been tasked with defense of the islands.

What the Japanese military has been barred from doing until now is engaging in offensive combat on foreign soil.

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-05 10:11:05

At 7/5/14 02:01 AM, Korriken wrote: Well that's just it, Japan only has a self defense force right now to repel invasions. China will most likely be less gung ho about messing with Japan if they know that Japan might pay them a visit.

If I remember right, and feel free to correct me on this, Japan's military restriction did not consider a retalitatory strike as an offensive military action on foregin shores.

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-05 11:08:54

At 7/5/14 02:01 AM, Korriken wrote:
At 7/5/14 01:35 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
What the Japanese military has been barred from doing until now is engaging in offensive combat on foreign soil.
Well that's just it, Japan only has a self defense force right now to repel invasions. China will most likely be less gung ho about messing with Japan if they know that Japan might pay them a visit. What Japan has now can probably hold off China's air and naval forces. Just imagine how much damage Japan could do to an aggressor if they build up their military enough to land forces on foreign soil and take the fight to them.

The thing with China is that they have almost 10 times the people Japan has, a land invasion where the opposition can just throw waves and waves of people at you is not something any reasonable military would do.

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-05 23:13:39

I don't think being able to mount a decent military invasion on Japan's end to any nuclear power is really in their best interests, as they don't have the benefit of mutually assured destruction on their side. They try to invade China? China threatens them with the bomb and they're forced to retreat (or China drops a bomb on them and then they pull back, either way). Conflicts have been relatively small due to this since atomic/nuclear weapons have become available, for this very reason - Japan cannot retaliate against that kind of weaponry, and considering the size of the country, it wouldn't take much to level them, if China so chose to do so.

Not to say there wouldn't be some heavy consequence of that action from the rest of the world, but before people get the idea that Japan would have a prayer retaliating against China with their military, understand that they could be leveled in very little time, and there would be nothing they could do about it due to their lack of WMDs, themselves.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-06 14:09:45

This is a good move on their part, considering that almost everyone around them seems to have serious hate with them that started in the early 1900's and the world wars. (and while exaggerated to stir up resentment today, they are still justified to a point)

Their military (or defense force, which is one in the same) is well-funded and modern, but with the Chinese breathing down their necks, North Korea being all North Korean-y and even South Korea are trying to one-up Japan, this was the only real option that Japan could do, and besides, it's not like they're going to do what they did 75 years ago this time around.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-16 14:42:23

Japan is an ally of the U.S and that makes them an enemy of the third world nations in asia, this is not good news

by all means... ask

BBS Signature

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-16 16:50:04

At 7/16/14 02:42 PM, laughatyourfuneral wrote: Japan is an ally of the U.S and that makes them an enemy of the third world nations in asia, this is not good news

Japan is under the thumb of the US but not for long. People are getting pissed off at the US and like all other hegemonies the US will fall.

BBS Signature

Response to Japan ending its post-war military 2014-07-16 17:02:25

At 7/16/14 02:42 PM, laughatyourfuneral wrote: Japan is an ally of the U.S and that makes them an enemy of the third world nations in asia, this is not good news

The only third world nation that is enmities with both Japan and America is North Korea. The rest of Asia are either too far away from their sphere of influence to care, or are second-rate players who usually end up following China or Japan.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature