00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

picapip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

need some track referencing help.

854 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

need some track referencing help. 2014-06-10 11:19:23

This is something I have heard recommended a lot but I have never tried. How is it done effectively? I want to take my mixes further. 

Response to need some track referencing help. 2014-06-17 19:22:37

At 6/10/14 11:19 AM, 8-bitheroes wrote: This is something I have heard recommended a lot but I have never tried. How is it done effectively? I want to take my mixes further. 

Basically it's like copying a fingerprint, in terms of EQ, space, loudness, etc and acting as a guide for your track. Find a song with the feel/sound you're looking for, place it in your project with no effects (not even on the master fader, in fact just have a channel strip act as the dedicated master for your track. This way, the effects that you would be using on your actual master fader wont affect the reference track you just imported). Using a spectrum analyzer on both your reference and master channel, simply cross reference what frequencies are dominant. Take this is a general way, because the reference track might be in a different Key than your track, so note frequencies aren't important (Percussion can be a bit different though). Look at ranges, for example "Oh damn, when that clap hits, it has no high end and is really hitting at 200Hz" or "that pad is taking up the high-mids, while the lead is taking the mid to mid-low". An analyzer is a great guide, but your hearing is where it counts.

Ozone 5's EQ has a nice feature that allows you to actually capture the spectrum of any song you import. This makes it so you can easily match up your track's EQ with the reference.

Response to need some track referencing help. 2014-06-18 17:06:11

Ozone 5's EQ has a nice feature that allows you to actually capture the spectrum of any song you import. This makes it so you can easily match up your track's EQ with the reference.

Thanks man, that's some good info. I might checkout ozone. I use span atm