00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Good mic to record audio?

2,495 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-01 14:12:26

I don't know if this should be in the "animation" post or audio post. But I need to record lines and vocals for animations and can't decide on a mic (you haven't even looked at any mics you dumbass! The only mic you know remember is some snowball/ice ball one. Your not even sure if its for animati-) okay okay! Sheesh! Fine. I need a suggestion for for a mic that'll help me record and stuff and is compatible with my laptop, and fits within a budget, alright?

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-01 14:18:13

If you're recording vocals, a condenser microphone is ideal. However, if you're on a budget you might want to look for a cheaper dynamic microphone. Do you want something very small that will sit on your desk or more like something you would hold in your hand?

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-01 14:44:12

At 6/1/14 02:18 PM, Witch wrote: If you're recording vocals, a condenser microphone is ideal. However, if you're on a budget you might want to look for a cheaper dynamic microphone. Do you want something very small that will sit on your desk or more like something you would hold in your hand?

Also voicing for characters, yknow •-•) I want to be able to do is like the rest of the cool animator kids on YouTube, so hopefully what you'll suggest will do just that ^^

And I don't think I mind too much as long as the quality of the voice will be decent. I don't mind if it sits on a desk, or if I have to hold it, as long as it'll record properly. So far tho I've seen youtubers use stuff that sits on desk or very tall mics that they can stand up and not even hold. I don't want the tall one, just saying

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-01 17:24:43

If you can give a price range we can suggest things more precisely.
$30? $100? $200? Big differences at each price range.

For example I recently bought a Rode NT1 and it's fantastic for the price, but that price was £130 (close to $200). I could recommend it, but it might not be the price range you're looking into.
For cheaper, people tend to go for a "Snowball".

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-01 17:31:46

For example I recently bought a Rode NT1 and it's fantastic for the price, but that price was £130 (close to $200). I could recommend it, but it might not be the price range you're looking into.

I want expert recording yet I need it to be around 30 to 100 or so >-<

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 02:02:26

At 6/1/14 05:31 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
I want expert recording yet I need it to be around 30 to 100 or so >-<

Welcome to the mythical world of "that doesn't exist", how can we help you?

Decent mics in this pricerange exist, but they are just that- decent. Of course, things like the space you are recording in, ambient noise, and the sound processing applied to the finished recording can have arguably a much larger role than your mic quality (I once mixed in drums recorded on an onboard USB mic recorded at a friend's fathers' place and it came out pretty darn good). However, the concern with cheap mics is not as much the sound quality as the construction quality, endurance, and limited versatility.

Here's what sweetwater has:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones/low2high/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOlsiNiIsIjEwMDAwMTMiXX19

Blue is often the most popular in this price range, notably among voice actors.

However, I have a VA friend who uses a C01U and does a good job with it (I have a C03U around here that I have used as everything from a skype mic to a field recorder plugged into my laptop and it has held up quite well).

The GoMic is probably your cheapest option, and it seems to have good reviews, but I don't know first (or second-hand) how good it is, although a friend got one and she seemed to like it a lot, but I haven't heard any audio from one.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 02:24:16

At 6/1/14 05:31 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: I want expert recording yet I need it to be around 30 to 100 or so >-<

Oxymoron. :) As stated above, you can get "decent" recordings though they'll lack that edge that makes them completely professional. Usually this is in the details, tonality and warmth of the recording.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 12:18:54

Here's what sweetwater has:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones/low2high/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOlsiNiIsIjEwMDAwMTMiXX19

Blue is often the most popular in this price range, notably among voice actors.

However, I have a VA friend who uses a C01U and does a good job with it (I have a C03U around here that I have used as everything from a skype mic to a field recorder plugged into my laptop and it has held up quite well).

The GoMic is probably your cheapest option, and it seems to have good reviews, but I don't know first (or second-hand) how good it is, although a friend got one and she seemed to like it a lot, but I haven't heard any audio from one.

Interesting link •-• so, the mics in there are the "better" quality ones? And I'm pretty well aware that its not only the mic, its the workspace too with the noise bouncing and need spun absorbent mats etc xD

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 12:21:06

At 6/2/14 02:24 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 6/1/14 05:31 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: I want expert recording yet I need it to be around 30 to 100 or so >-<
Oxymoron. :) As stated above, you can get "decent" recordings though they'll lack that edge that makes them completely professional. Usually this is in the details, tonality and warmth of the recording.

I don't follow well xD just tell meh what to buy dang it! xD!
Jk jk. What does the warmth and tonality mean? Is it like, the room I'm recording and such?

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 12:51:43

At 6/2/14 12:21 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: I don't follow well xD just tell meh what to buy dang it! xD!
Jk jk. What does the warmth and tonality mean? Is it like, the room I'm recording and such?

Sorry. I mean no two mics sound the same (even at the same cost) and generally a mic that costs $200 will sound better than a mic that costs $50, that's all.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 13:01:58

At 6/2/14 12:51 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 6/2/14 12:21 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: I don't follow well xD just tell meh what to buy dang it! xD!
Sorry. I mean no two mics sound the same (even at the same cost) and generally a mic that costs $200 will sound better than a mic that costs $50, that's all.

Well that makes things more difficult .-. Thought it mostly relies on the company

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 14:32:20

At 6/2/14 01:01 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 6/2/14 12:51 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
Well that makes things more difficult .-. Thought it mostly relies on the company

In the $30-$100 range, they're all decent. The main two cheap USB mic lines are Blue and Samson. Blue is a bit more "hip" with voice actors, but I really doubt the differences are that great between the mics at this price range. I've heard good things about both mics, and really I think it's just down to your appeal and economics. There's probably a youtube video of someone testing Blue vs. Samson mics, I'd go look it up.

Everything on the Sweetwater site are mics that are designed specifically for voice and audio applications and are designed for audio people, not the general public (unlike those cheap webcam mics you could buy in say, RadioShack or BestBuy). They'll get you a better and more standardized result, as both Blue and Samson also produce higher-range microphones.

You can take the cheapest way out and get a Samson GoMic. They have good reviews and seem quite popular. However, notice that positioning of the mic is a bit tricky if it's stuck to the side of your laptop.

For more money, you could get a Samson C01U or one of the Blue mics (I think the model is "snowflake", but I'm not sure). These mics are better quality and can be moved around to where you need them as they have a longer cord.

At the top of your price range is the C03U, a version of the C01U that has three patterns you can switch between to better utilize the sound of your space (if it's good) or block it out (if it's bad). I think you're also in the price range of the Snowball, the "standard" blue mic all the voice actors use.

So, pick how much you want to spend and then pick a mic from that tier.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-02 14:38:58

You can take the cheapest way out and get a Samson GoMic. They have good reviews and seem quite popular. However, notice that positioning of the mic is a bit tricky if it's stuck to the side of your laptop.

For more money, you could get a Samson C01U or one of the Blue mics (I think the model is "snowflake", but I'm not sure). These mics are better quality and can be moved around to where you need them as they have a longer cord.

At the top of your price range is the C03U, a version of the C01U that has three patterns you can switch between to better utilize the sound of your space (if it's good) or block it out (if it's bad). I think you're also in the price range of the Snowball, the "standard" blue mic all the voice actors use.

So, pick how much you want to spend and then pick a mic from that tier.

I think I can afford the 50 bucks blue mics or whatev.
thanks again for you help ^^ il check this reply when im actually going to get one and make my look around the internet as you said

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-06 20:32:55

Within a budget, your best bet is usually a Blue microphone. There are other mics within the range, but I've yet to go wrong with Blue.

The Blue Snowball is the cheapest, used by RicePirate quite often.
The Blue Yeti is the next step up (quite a large microphone, though), which can be heard in my old Demo Reel, excluding the very last recording.

Keep in mind that sound quality is only about 50% equipment. It is very important that you record in a quiet, insulated environment, and edit properly!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm always happy to help!

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-07 03:54:35

At 6/7/14 02:46 AM, jaysummers759885 wrote: The Blue Spark Condenser mic is pretty good, and it only runs about a couple hundred dollars. It has a screen that comes with it too. So, you won't be spitting into your mic possibly causing horrible spikes or electrocution.

~J

I have the Bluebird, which is very similar (though $100 more), and I have to admit that the screen does almost nothing. It is still very important to purchase a popfilter to complement it. They're only like ten bucks anyway.

As for quality, if you're willing to shell out a little more, the Spark is a great choice. It can be a little tinny, but it is essentially a professional microphone built to be inexpensive. Since you won't likely be doing any major league stuff, though, it would almost be too extravagant.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-07 03:56:13

I just realized how funny it is that you asked for a "good mic to record audio."
Like, as opposed to buying a microphone to record video.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-07 18:05:09

Now, if you had an interface, you could get a Shure SM-57 and really kick it up a notch. Those things are the gold standard in live sound and they also work great in studio settings, notably on vocals among many other things.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:12:37

At 6/6/14 08:32 PM, Jacob wrote: Within a budget, your best bet is usually a Blue microphone. There are other mics within the range, but I've yet to go wrong with Blue.

The Blue Snowball is the cheapest, used by RicePirate quite often.
The Blue Yeti is the next step up (quite a large microphone, though), which can be heard in my old Demo Reel, excluding the very last recording.

Keep in mind that sound quality is only about 50% equipment. It is very important that you record in a quiet, insulated environment, and edit properly!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm always happy to help!

oooo I love RicePirate! im highly considering the blue snowball now xP I don't think I can handle the big one, so the snowball might suit me just fine ^^

and I know, ive read about the whole environment thing and voices bouncing everywhere. il try and be ready for that.

and thanks a ton :D this place is so nice. first theres a person who is happy to give me advice on using a music program (FL Studio) and now you a professional voice actor ^^ this is just great! let me know if I can help back maybe, idk xD

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:15:27

At 6/7/14 02:46 AM, jaysummers759885 wrote: The Blue Spark Condenser mic is pretty good, and it only runs about a couple hundred dollars. It has a screen that comes with it too. So, you won't be spitting into your mic possibly causing horrible spikes or electrocution.

~J

don't think I can make it to a couple hundred dollars .-. and your argument with Jacob seems like il be stuck with it or something

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:17:15

At 6/7/14 03:56 AM, Jacob wrote: I just realized how funny it is that you asked for a "good mic to record audio."
Like, as opposed to buying a microphone to record video.

well, I am considering being a solo animator ish .-. I really cant seem to record my voice with just audacity xD cmon

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:19:17

At 6/7/14 04:05 AM, Cabbster wrote: Imo get something based on your skill level. If you're looking for good quality, a $100 usb mic would probably do everything you need and more. Even better would be to have a desk-mounted one with an adjustable pop filter.

I had the freakin' best mic but got it stolen a while back. It was an AT2020 USB Condenser Mic, and I'll literally buy the same thing next chance I get. I highly recommend it, but it definitely needs to go with a pop filter. The playback is... freaking crystal.

Also looks amazing in the dark with a blue light that shines through the metallic grid.

needs to go with a pop filter? im sort of new to this, and idk if your talking about having to pay extra for it, or it comes with .-.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:20:29

At 6/8/14 02:12 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
oooo I love RicePirate! im highly considering the blue snowball now xP I don't think I can handle the big one, so the snowball might suit me just fine ^^

and I know, ive read about the whole environment thing and voices bouncing everywhere. il try and be ready for that.

and thanks a ton :D this place is so nice. first theres a person who is happy to give me advice on using a music program (FL Studio) and now you a professional voice actor ^^ this is just great! let me know if I can help back maybe, idk xD

I am anything but professional, but I do know a thing or two about the trade!
The Snowball is very likely your best bet for the time being. It can offer clear, perfectly usable vocals despite a very low cost.
If you want to upgrade sometime in the future if/when you're making money off of your projects, or have found that this is a hobby you'll continue for a long time, that's great! But it's best to start small and efficient.

Like I said, feel free to PM me with any questions. I live to serve!

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 02:22:43

At 6/8/14 02:19 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
needs to go with a pop filter? im sort of new to this, and idk if your talking about having to pay extra for it, or it comes with .-.

A pop filter basically blocks the air when you make your P's and whatnot. You can make one yourself, but it's easiest just to purchase one with your microphone.

It isn't necessary, of course, and I often neglect to use mine. However, it does tend to improve the quality of your recordings.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 03:04:14

I am anything but professional, but I do know a thing or two about the trade!
The Snowball is very likely your best bet for the time being. It can offer clear, perfectly usable vocals despite a very low cost.
If you want to upgrade sometime in the future if/when you're making money off of your projects, or have found that this is a hobby you'll continue for a long time, that's great! But it's best to start small and efficient.

Like I said, feel free to PM me with any questions. I live to serve!

you seemed pretty good ^^ checked your voice on that blog thing... idk, cut me slack, im a bit new here xD!

small and efficient, got it.
and I will!

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 03:05:21

A pop filter basically blocks the air when you make your P's and whatnot. You can make one yourself, but it's easiest just to purchase one with your microphone. : It isn't necessary, of course, and I often neglect to use mine. However, it does tend to improve the quality of your recordings.

well, as long as its not that important

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 12:42:54

At 6/8/14 03:05 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
A pop filter basically blocks the air when you make your P's and whatnot. You can make one yourself, but it's easiest just to purchase one with your microphone. : It isn't necessary, of course, and I often neglect to use mine. However, it does tend to improve the quality of your recordings.

The cheap and dirty trick of putting a sock over the mic also works afaik, as long as you don't care about looks and you wash your socks! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 14:17:52

At 6/8/14 12:42 PM, samulis wrote:
At 6/8/14 03:05 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
The cheap and dirty trick of putting a sock over the mic also works afaik, as long as you don't care about looks and you wash your socks! :)

lol. I have a friend who did that, and it actually fucked over the sound quality. Sure, it got rid of some pops, but it also dulled the sound, introduced constant white noise (particularly if he was holding it), and there were still plenty of pops from air. This was the case for most of his socks too, many different kinds

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 16:07:42

At 6/8/14 02:17 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
At 6/8/14 12:42 PM, samulis wrote: The cheap and dirty trick of putting a sock over the mic also works afaik, as long as you don't care about looks and you wash your socks! :)
lol. I have a friend who did that, and it actually fucked over the sound quality. Sure, it got rid of some pops, but it also dulled the sound, introduced constant white noise (particularly if he was holding it), and there were still plenty of pops from air. This was the case for most of his socks too, many different kinds

I actually used to use a sock. Didn't seem to have too bad of an effect. I haven't done much talking over mics in a while so I haven't used a sock for a long time.

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 20:21:00

Oh cool :D sounds weird, but I'm considering it xD!

BBS Signature

Response to Good mic to record audio? 2014-06-08 20:24:19

At 6/8/14 12:42 PM, samulis wrote: The cheap and dirty trick of putting a sock over the mic also works afaik, as long as you don't care about looks and you wash your socks! :)

Sounds weird, but I'm highly considering it xD

BBS Signature