00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Software you'd like to see

1,186 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 10:41:20

Sup.

Do you have those times when you think to yourself, "Jeez, I wish someone would think about this and code it?"

I do. A lot. So let's share. Maybe someone enterprising will pick up on some of the ideas and start working on that stuff. Or maybe we'll just get to talk about cool stuff. Whatever.

From me:

Frequency splitter - It would split the input signal into 'bands,' then send them to separate channels. Benefits? You can approach mastering stuff with much more freedom and directness. You're not limited to multiband compressors, MB stereo enhancers, MB saturators, and all that—you can use any of your single band effects on a selected range of frequencies and fine-tune them with ease. I have done some searching before and found a freeware vst like that, but it didn't work with Cubase at all. Of course you could set that sorta stuff yourself by sending things to various channels and filtering them, but let's face it—that's tedious and might not sum perfectly.

Multiband panner - yeah, this isn't nearly as useful, and could be achieved easily enough with the splitter idea. But it could be good for improving bad mixes and remastering old mono records. Stereo enhancers are great for those things, but they always result in the sounds being sorta symmetrical. This would let you aim for the most important frequencies of an instrument and nudge it a bit off-center, then take something higher and push it in the opposite direction - and viola, the image is more stereo, and not in the "everything goes through both speakers with equal volume, but one side is delayed a bit" way.

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 10:43:32

a cheap version of convolution reverb

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 11:28:19

a pc native version of LSDJ

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 12:55:17

I'm all about live recording but I don't have the money for that. I have a post rock side project and I want to seem like there is a band playing in a room instead of me at my computer, and an interesting way of doing that would be recreating snare noise made by the frequencies of bass and guitar. So the program would take impulses from the guitar signal and it could be used as a trigger to create that snare rumble.

BBS Signature

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 18:23:19

A mind scanner, i can think of music or animation and it's rendered directly on my computer in seconds.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 20:21:25

At 5/22/14 10:41 AM, uint wrote: Multiband panner - yeah, this isn't nearly as useful, and could be achieved easily enough with the splitter idea.

It was this one http://www.kvraudio.com/product/m4giq-by-mildon-studios

At 5/22/14 10:43 AM, MrBigglesworthMusic wrote: a cheap version of convolution reverb

You mean something like this?http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate_le.htm

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 21:02:05

i want something like a bitcrusher that emulates mp3/m4a/wma compression in real time

p.s. i am gay

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 21:40:03

At 5/22/14 09:02 PM, midimachine wrote: i want something like a bitcrusher that emulates mp3/m4a/wma compression in real time

yeah this would be dope

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 23:00:23

At 5/22/14 10:41 AM, uint wrote: Frequency splitter

Bounce tracks through any of Izotopes Ozones multiband effects with one band solod at a time.

Multiband panner

Izotope Ozone has this as well.

At 5/22/14 09:02 PM, midimachine wrote: i want something like a bitcrusher that emulates mp3/m4a/wma compression in real time

It already exists

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/products/codec/codectoolbox.html

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-22 23:31:50

At 5/22/14 11:00 PM, Breed wrote: It already exist

that doesn't really do what a bitcrusher does though. this looks more like a "now my song will sound decent when streamed hooray" mastering tool rather than a "YEAH let's make everything sound like a 8kbps mp3!" sonic death machine.

if it CAN do super low quality and automate stuff, or enter specific values for VBR compression and all that then yeah that's rad and i'd probably buy it if it wasn't tied down to ilok.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-23 01:22:45

At 5/22/14 11:31 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/22/14 11:00 PM, Breed wrote: It already exist

that doesn't really do what a bitcrusher does though. this looks more like a "now my song will sound decent when streamed hooray" mastering tool rather than a "YEAH let's make everything sound like a 8kbps mp3!" sonic death machine.

if it CAN do super low quality and automate stuff, or enter specific values for VBR compression and all that then yeah that's rad and i'd probably buy it if it wasn't tied down to ilok.

I dont understand what you want. If you want to do super low quality this goes down pretty far with sample rate, then you can use a bitcrusher if you want super low bit depth. You mentioned wanting something that simulates lossy file formats in real time and thats what this does(both in encoding and dithering algorithms), you can use it however you wish from there. Its purpose is to monitor/doublecheck a master mix, but thats not how you have to use it.

Also its not hard iLok only, you can use their soft licensor so thats free just an extra step in installation.

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-23 08:45:50

At 5/23/14 01:22 AM, Breed wrote: I dont understand what you want. If you want to do super low quality this goes down pretty far with sample rate, then you can use a bitcrusher if you want super low bit depth.

i want something like decimort but with the sample rate and bit depth knobs replaced with freely automatable knobs for bitrate and codec.

You mentioned wanting something that simulates lossy file formats in real time and thats what this does(both in encoding and dithering algorithms), you can use it however you wish from there.

what i wanted was a tesla coil and you showed me a multimeter. it's still a useful plugin, but you wouldn't tell someone who was looking for a specific distortion effect to "just turn it up". or maybe you would, i dunno! :v

Also its not hard iLok only, you can use their soft licensor so thats free just an extra step in installation.

that's actually good to know!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-23 13:51:58

Collaboration functionality provided within a DAW. You can privately share access to a project file you're working on with another person or group of people (Dropbox-esque kind of deal) and any change that a person with access to the file makes will update the project file in realtime, so two people in different locations with the same project file open will be able to see each other's progress and work in tandem.

One can only dream.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-23 15:50:45

Midimachine wants a timemachine :p
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-timemachine/

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 04:36:30

At 5/23/14 01:51 PM, Step wrote: Collaboration functionality provided within a DAW. You can privately share access to a project file you're working on with another person or group of people (Dropbox-esque kind of deal) and any change that a person with access to the file makes will update the project file in realtime, so two people in different locations with the same project file open will be able to see each other's progress and work in tandem.

One can only dream.

Yesss. I had this thought before. Even better, a distributed version control system designed for audio projects. People who are into coding will know what I'm talking about. Essentially something like what Step described, but that would also allow people to keep different versions of the project, so you can easily revert changes, branch out. Stuff.

At 5/22/14 08:21 PM, sorohanro wrote:
At 5/22/14 10:41 AM, uint wrote: Multiband panner - yeah, this isn't nearly as useful, and could be achieved easily enough with the splitter idea.
It was this one http://www.kvraudio.com/product/m4giq-by-mildon-studios

This is good! I wish it was more detailed, I couldn't get the bands exactly how I wanted them since there were limits on how far the crossover areas can move.

I actually am doing this thing with trying to improve a mono recording from the 20s, just for the sake of practice. I tried out the panner thing on it, pushed the low mid lightly to the left, high mid a good bit harder to the right, until it all sounded balanced. Didn't expect great results, but they actually were great. Added a lot of dimension to the thing. Useful.

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 06:04:44

I have a bunch of ridiculous ones. But my main one is.

An Add Multiple Libraries function in Kontakt. Adding one by one is annoying as it always resets the folder destination when hitting add.

BBS Signature

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 06:47:17

I've always wanted some kind of 'Envelope/LFO anything tool' - as in set an lfo on your master panning or your kick EQ frequency. or an envelope on the Q of a band.
^---- anyone know of anything like this for ableton?? I've got LFO tool but that has limited capabilities. the secret in M4L?

a fruity peak controller as a vst would be great

and a multiband sidechain compressor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg lol (C6)

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 06:59:38

At 5/24/14 06:47 AM, AeroMusic wrote: I've always wanted some kind of 'Envelope/LFO anything tool' - as in set an lfo on your master panning or your kick EQ frequency. or an envelope on the Q of a band.
^---- anyone know of anything like this for ableton?? I've got LFO tool but that has limited capabilities. the secret in M4L?

a fruity peak controller as a vst would be great

and a multiband sidechain compressor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg lol (C6)

Gotta love Cubase. The compressor and gate that come with it (and possibly other stuff I haven't really looked at) both have sidechain functionality. No need to pay for anything extra. Wee.

Seriously, it should be included in every DAW. People use it a lot nowadays and having it come in the package solves potential problems.

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 11:15:51

At 5/23/14 03:50 PM, sorohanro wrote:
Midimachine wants a timemachine :p
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-timemachine/

decimort and chipcrusher are better :P

p.s. i am gay

Response to Software you'd like to see 2014-05-24 11:35:25

FabFilter Pro-Q is an equalizer, allowing one to change levels and pan them for different freqs.