00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

needing some help (animation)

629 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

needing some help (animation) 2014-04-18 18:53:52

Hey guys new here, so I'm trying to become an animator and I got myself a wacom intuos pen. So I started drawing some stuff then scanning it and teaching with the tablet. It came out looking really bad but my pencil drawing looks great and so does my work using a,mouse. I guess, my question is how do people like egoraptor get such clear crisp lines and bold colors that pop? Is it my software (gimp) or do I just suck using a, tablet? Also is there a better method to getting my art on the screen? I just want the best way to use my tablet and get my art looking professional. Thanks everyone!

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-18 19:00:33

Oops I meant tracing not teaching

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-18 22:56:22

Tablets take a LOT of getting used to, don't worry. It isn't that you're doing anything wrong, it's just a learning curve. I'm sure when you started with a pencil you weren't making beautiful lines either, right? You learned to be proficient with that tool, and if you stick with your tablet you'll improve there as well. If you look at early work done by any great animator you'll see a lot more shaky lines and lack of precision. It's a practice thing, so keep at it!

BBS Signature

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-18 23:13:03

At 4/18/14 07:00 PM, catastrophic00 wrote: Oops I meant tracing not teaching

well, there are a few ways.
-Don't use the pressure in your pen
-Use pen lines(linetool) and then convert it to a brush and refine the edges
-Thin out lines so the wobbles are not noticeable.
-reuse frames but just modify them slightly(like blinks, hand gestures ect) so that the wobble isn't noticeable.
-Use puppets

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-18 23:22:10

At 4/18/14 11:13 PM, TouchEverything wrote:
At 4/18/14 07:00 PM, catastrophic00 wrote: Oops I meant tracing not teaching
well, there are a few ways.
-Don't use the pressure in your pen
-Use pen lines(linetool) and then convert it to a brush and refine the edges
-Thin out lines so the wobbles are not noticeable.
-reuse frames but just modify them slightly(like blinks, hand gestures ect) so that the wobble isn't noticeable.
-Use puppets

And if you look... Egoraptors are actually NOT smooth and crisp.
http://s30.postimg.org/p50nuix8x/outline.png
Since its animation going about 24-30 fps most will not notice it.
But if you are looking at each frame, they could be unappealing.

My best advice would be just ignore it and just try your best. Try not going back to the frame because you'll just trap yourself.

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-19 00:36:03

At 4/18/14 06:53 PM, catastrophic00 wrote: Hey guys new here, so I'm trying to become an animator and I got myself a wacom intuos pen. So I started drawing some stuff then scanning it and teaching with the tablet. It came out looking really bad but my pencil drawing looks great and so does my work using a,mouse. I guess, my question is how do people like egoraptor get such clear crisp lines and bold colors that pop? Is it my software (gimp) or do I just suck using a, tablet? Also is there a better method to getting my art on the screen? I just want the best way to use my tablet and get my art looking professional. Thanks everyone!

As JKR said, it's just something to learn at first and get better as you go along. It's good to keep practicing in what you do.
Though here are some tricks of the trade (this is for Adobe flash if you have it ) :

1. For clear crisp lines on Adobe flash. I always find that having a higher resolution of the stage area than the default helps as well as zooming in to do the linework. And Once your done and exporting the movie, you can set back to the default resolution. This can make lineart look nicer.

2. As for bold colors.. Well there are many ways to do it . I'm still working on this myself but I always try to experiment with certain colors and read about color theory. There are also filter adjustments in the program that can help with setting colors as well but I try not to abuse it.

Just keep practicing, explore, and experiment. You'll get there.

Also TouchEverything, isn't that picture example you provided Yotta Studios' work? I don't think egoraptor animated that part.

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-19 12:49:25

At 4/19/14 12:36 AM, Perrobang wrote:
Also TouchEverything, isn't that picture example you provided Yotta Studios' work? I don't think egoraptor animated that part.

Maybe, but I can still pick through his pokeawesome and still could find rough looking lines...

Response to needing some help (animation) 2014-04-20 20:01:51

The great thing about animation is it doesn't have to be perfect, as long as the motion is smooth and appealing to look at. :)

BBS Signature