00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tips on better writing?

455 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tips on better writing? 2014-04-05 13:22:03

*when I mean writing, I mean anything related to it (articles, reviews, opinions, short stories, etc.)

Hi there! I've just recently had a new found interest in writing, and I was wondering if you folks have tips/pointers on how not to suck at it?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Tips on better writing? 2014-04-05 19:10:30

I've got a few pointers:
1. Do what you can to write daily- even if its just for five minutes and on a piece of scratch paper.
2. Always try to keep a writing notebook/diary accessible, especially at night or when going to bed, because you never know when something might spark an idea.
3. Don't be afraid to write down even the most wacky or strange ideas- they can morph into something else.
4. This ties into #3- even if you're brainstorming for something (A book, short story, poem, song, etc.) or working on content for such works, try and keep things within a context for the work(s), but still allow for different ideas, which could help improve the work you're working on.
5. Look for inspiration from everywhere- things going on around you, material you read, hear, etc- something might give you a great idea, or help break writer's block.
6. This is important, especially if you get to writing on your computer frequently- backup your data! I've had a few times where I've written something, then done accidental deletion through whatever it was that caused the deletion. There are a number of backup schemes, but I follow the grandfather-father-son system- an example would be quarterly, monthly, weekly, but it can be whatever you want it to be. Here's the Wikipedia article on backup schemes. I'd also keep content on a spare, external hard drive and on CDs/DVDs, with one of the discs stored away from home (like in a safety deposit box at your local bank, if they do that) in the off-ball chance you manage to lose everything else.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Tips on better writing? 2014-04-10 03:42:31

Being a good writer depends greatly on the focus of the piece. Fiction or non-fiction? Genre? Perspective? Existing source material?

Being a GREAT writer? Well, that's all about passion. How invested are you in what you're talking about? Do you believe in what you're telling me? I mean, anyone can use spell check and a thesaurus, but engaging, exciting writing - and believe me, if you're not excited about it, I won't be - it all comes from the energy you put into it. Like all art forms, it requires the type of dedication that comes from love or hate.

I've written first person stories. Third person. Screenplays. Graphic novels. Love letters. Break-up letters. So here are my tips:

1. If it's non-fiction, for God's sake, take advantage of the hard work countless authors have put in before you. You're allowed to share opinions and beliefs with other artists, as long as you find an engaging way to share your thoughts. It's a lot easier when you see how others have relayed fact and opinion. I'm not telling you to plagiarize; that's a no-no.

2. If it's fiction, take the original thought, the first idea you had, and CREATE A SERIES BIBLE. This is basically a go-to compendium of the fictional history behind your subject and setting. Character bios, history, language, traditions, etc. This will help you in two ways: You'll never have to ret-conn, thus providing credibility, and you'll be able to disappear into the world and characters you've created to find compelling stories.

3. Start a blog. No, I'm serious. You can do it for free, and it puts you in the habit of regularly updating your position, experience and thoughts on any subject. Plus, it's a great way to get honest feedback about how you write, thus giving you a chance to hone your skills and adjust depending on your target audience.

4. DO NOT TAKE CRITICISM PERSONALLY. Seriously. As an artist, and guess what, you are one, it'll be easy for you to take harsh criticism as a personal attack; after all, they don't like something YOU made, which is essentially an extension of your own mind and personality. Here's why it's dangerous to think that way: Humans are idiots. No, really, we are. All of us. Our programmer didn't bundle tact and empathy into our software, so most of us trundle about, speaking only for the sake of hearing our own voices, and never know we've just destroyed someone's fragile creation that they cared enough to share with us. Someone will tell you how they feel about your piece without realizing how hard you've worked on it, and it can be as bad as insulting your mother. The other problem you'll face is trolls. People who are too afraid to develop their own individuality, hiding behind a computer to tear down someone who was brave enough to make something and share it with the world. They don't risk anything because they've never made anything, so they feel safe in ripping it apart because you'll never have the chance to do it to them. These people are cowards, and there are too many of them to get worked up about.

You're already a good writer because you cared enough to try and become better. That's step one. Now go and write. Anything and everything. There's no wrong way, as long as you care about what you're doing.

Response to Tips on better writing? 2014-04-11 16:24:26

Join a writing group. That's my #1 tip of all-time for being a better writer. Either that or get a job writing, but it's a sort of chicken-and-egg thing where that's concerned (do you become a good writer to get the job, or do you get the job to become a good writer?)

By the way, I've started such a group. It's open for folks like yourself to join.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips on better writing? 2014-04-22 22:07:45

At 4/5/14 01:22 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: *when I mean writing, I mean anything related to it (articles, reviews, opinions, short stories, etc.)

Hi there! I've just recently had a new found interest in writing, and I was wondering if you folks have tips/pointers on how not to suck at it?

Outline your stories for a sweet final draft