00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Out of Worlder, Thinkers Needed

428 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Out of Worlder, Thinkers Needed 2014-04-01 19:47:13

I have been trying to develop this game idea for a little while now, and I'm looking for some developmental input, so heres the overview: (note that some names are not official, I do plan on proper names for them)

Game conceptualization has been slow, but the coding has been slower

The game is observed as a 2d world with layers (2.5d, looks kinda 3d)

You are a cyclops space slug who is trying to rescue his mother queen from the red tyrant dictator's lair.

The player braves through space with their slug's spaceship by dragging the mouse pointer, while traversing through mazes in asteroids to find minerals. Although there are some rare mineral types, minerals are the most common kind of object amongst many other kinds of objects. Archetypes/Blueprints can be found in wreckage, for creating new technical assets from the right input. The tyrant dictator will send guards to you to collect ransom, if you choose to avoid them, the player can weaponize the slug's spaceship to break into the tyrant dictator's lair to save the mother queen. Space flora and fauna may impede your path, or you could benefit from their fruits.

Asteroids can be in front of or behind on another, and you can enter one asteroid and exit from the back, and then enter the next asteroid. To move through the depth of space click the slug's spaceship and drag up to move to the layer in front of you and drag down to move into the layer behind you (this disables movement on the x and y only while changing depths)

click in a direction to launch your active weapon in that direction

I have 3 possible graphic styles, my first style was vector based, and I have the most development on it, but I was also experimenting with both square pixels, and triangle pixels with more difficulty.

I only have a few ideas for flora and fauna:
Space bees that search for pollen from space flowers
Tentacles that smack you away from a seemingly empty crater
Clams that blend in with the inside of an asteroid waiting to chomp at whatever passes

Tyrant's servants:
He has slavers, guards, and ransom collectors
The slavers force the pregnant mother queen's young to mine asteroids for economic gain, saving a slug slave will alert tyrant guards but add a one extra life. Also you can collect minerals from what the slug slaves harvest. A slug will continue to mine after dropping off a slug into a safe asteroid. That is risky but could pay off if you can collect what he harvests without a beast eating him or a tyrant slaver re-enslaving him.

I don't have many ideas for crystals, minerals, blueprints, equipment, or weapons.

I would like a taser to be an easily acquired weapon because it will not do damage, but will put the target in stasis for a moment. I want an upgrade system that combines different elements into simple weapons and tools at the beginning and later more complex weapons and tools. Upgrading a weapon could be as easy as dismantling it and then recycling the parts into the the stronger weapon.

I will come up with a better layout for the overview soon, so please bare with me.

I welcome anyone to help develop my game.

Response to Out of Worlder, Thinkers Needed 2014-04-01 21:44:54

At 4/1/14 07:47 PM, Goon94 wrote: I have been trying to develop this game idea for a little while now, and I'm looking for some developmental input, so heres the overview: (note that some names are not official, I do plan on proper names for them)

Game conceptualization has been slow, but the coding has been slower

The game is observed as a 2d world with layers (2.5d, looks kinda 3d)

You are a cyclops space slug who is trying to rescue his mother queen from the red tyrant dictator's lair.

The player braves through space with their slug's spaceship by dragging the mouse pointer, while traversing through mazes in asteroids to find minerals. Although there are some rare mineral types, minerals are the most common kind of object amongst many other kinds of objects. Archetypes/Blueprints can be found in wreckage, for creating new technical assets from the right input. The tyrant dictator will send guards to you to collect ransom, if you choose to avoid them, the player can weaponize the slug's spaceship to break into the tyrant dictator's lair to save the mother queen. Space flora and fauna may impede your path, or you could benefit from their fruits.

Asteroids can be in front of or behind on another, and you can enter one asteroid and exit from the back, and then enter the next asteroid. To move through the depth of space click the slug's spaceship and drag up to move to the layer in front of you and drag down to move into the layer behind you (this disables movement on the x and y only while changing depths)

click in a direction to launch your active weapon in that direction

I have 3 possible graphic styles, my first style was vector based, and I have the most development on it, but I was also experimenting with both square pixels, and triangle pixels with more difficulty.

I only have a few ideas for flora and fauna:
Space bees that search for pollen from space flowers
Tentacles that smack you away from a seemingly empty crater
Clams that blend in with the inside of an asteroid waiting to chomp at whatever passes

Tyrant's servants:
He has slavers, guards, and ransom collectors
The slavers force the pregnant mother queen's young to mine asteroids for economic gain, saving a slug slave will alert tyrant guards but add a one extra life. Also you can collect minerals from what the slug slaves harvest. A slug will continue to mine after dropping off a slug into a safe asteroid. That is risky but could pay off if you can collect what he harvests without a beast eating him or a tyrant slaver re-enslaving him.

I don't have many ideas for crystals, minerals, blueprints, equipment, or weapons.

I would like a taser to be an easily acquired weapon because it will not do damage, but will put the target in stasis for a moment. I want an upgrade system that combines different elements into simple weapons and tools at the beginning and later more complex weapons and tools. Upgrading a weapon could be as easy as dismantling it and then recycling the parts into the the stronger weapon.

I will come up with a better layout for the overview soon, so please bare with me.

I welcome anyone to help develop my game.

OK. Let's start for the minerals...

First. Let's put a white crystal to be the principal currency, like LoZ rupees. Put blue, red and green crystals in a fewer frequency to be higher quantity. Put rare black crystals to be collecting items, and put a medal for getting them all.

About weapons.

Put the stansard blaster to kill enemies, but put it an upgrade so you can shoot as fast as you click. Put a straight laser that crosses from side to side, a shotgun as a higher upgrade. and for the highest upgrade, put the screen-sweeper, that does medium damage, but hits all enemies on the screen.

I hope this works.

Oh! And if you have the chance, go ceck my story

Gonna open my bar on Glenside!

BBS Signature

Response to Out of Worlder, Thinkers Needed 2014-04-01 22:40:18

At 4/1/14 09:44 PM, 8madness wrote:
OK. Let's start for the minerals...

First. Let's put a white crystal to be the principal currency, like LoZ rupees. Put blue, red and green crystals in a fewer frequency to be higher quantity. Put rare black crystals to be collecting items, and put a medal for getting them all.

About weapons.

Put the stansard blaster to kill enemies, but put it an upgrade so you can shoot as fast as you click. Put a straight laser that crosses from side to side, a shotgun as a higher upgrade. and for the highest upgrade, put the screen-sweeper, that does medium damage, but hits all enemies on the screen.

I hope this works.

Oh! And if you have the chance, go ceck my story

Well thank you very much for your suggestions 8madness, if you have any more ideas please speak up. If you meant to say higher quality instead of quantity, I think I'm with you on that. Color coded crystals ordered from most common to most rare: white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

I think the crystals should make colored lasers when you put a crystal, wire, telescope, and power core together. The father to the right on the spectrum, the more powerful the laser.

A prism laser can be created if you find a prism, which is rarer than violet crystals, you can use it to break white crystals into a random type of crystal while still biding by the crystal rarity scale. You can also break orange crystals into red and yellow crystals, and indigo can be broken into red and blue, and violet can be broken into 2 reds and 1 blue

Crystal breaking:
White: random
red: nothing
orange: red and yellow
green: blue and yellow
blue: nothing
indigo: red and blue
violet: 2 red and 1 blue

Crystal Combining:
red and yellow: orange
blue and yellow: green
red and blue: indigo