00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Habitrpg - Who's With Me?

1,039 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-09 13:08:34

Hi guys - this is a shameless cross-posting from the GameDev forum but I figured there might be more enthusiasm here as it's a more nerdy site!! (myself included)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is a goal tracking website called HabitRPG that I've been using for a while and it has really helped me focus on my composition. The site is free to join and the only paid features are little extras like 'contributor badges' and the like so the experience is in no way limited for those that don't pay. It's a geeky, gamer-oriented version of something like Way of Life or Everest apps.

But the feature that really stands out for me is the group/party system, where you can hook up with a few other people with the same interests and set challenges, complete silly quests etc. I've had some great successes with this with a random party but think it would be awesome to try it out with some fellow composers. So if anyone's interested in joining me, sign up for the site and find your user code, then send it to me either in reply to this or via PM and I'll add you to my group!

Cheers

JackMusic

Response to Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-09 13:59:56

I actually found this site not too long ago and started using it as well. While I don't think it is gonna solve all your problems, I do find myself checking it day to day and that at least slightly motivates me to accomplish something... Kinda like having a grocery list of things to do (That's exactly what it is really), every time you look at it, it's like a little push to go do it.

I've actually spent a lot more time pushing myself to compose since I joined the site, if for no other reason but to gain a little more xp/gold/gear in HabitRPG.

The only real issue with the site, as with any motivational helper/tracker/whatever, is that the user really has to be able to exercise a great deal of will power to keep up with it. Seeing as the site obviously can't magically tell if you actually did something or not, it really falls on the user to be honest with themselves, instead of clicking off things they didn't actually do just to avoid losing some health on the site.

If you have the will power and can be honest with yourself though, and have a real desire to build better habits, then I think it's an awesome tool.

Wish I could actually "gamify" my life... I'd love to see an achievement pop up every time I created a new song or something.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-09 15:37:20

At 3/9/14 01:59 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I actually found this site not too long ago and started using it as well. While I don't think it is gonna solve all your problems, I do find myself checking it day to day and that at least slightly motivates me to accomplish something... Kinda like having a grocery list of things to do (That's exactly what it is really), every time you look at it, it's like a little push to go do it.

I've actually spent a lot more time pushing myself to compose since I joined the site, if for no other reason but to gain a little more xp/gold/gear in HabitRPG.

The only real issue with the site, as with any motivational helper/tracker/whatever, is that the user really has to be able to exercise a great deal of will power to keep up with it. Seeing as the site obviously can't magically tell if you actually did something or not, it really falls on the user to be honest with themselves, instead of clicking off things they didn't actually do just to avoid losing some health on the site.

If you have the will power and can be honest with yourself though, and have a real desire to build better habits, then I think it's an awesome tool.

Wish I could actually "gamify" my life... I'd love to see an achievement pop up every time I created a new song or something.

If you need a pop up achievement when you've created a song then maybe composing isn't for you..... the satisfaction of that is what gets most people into it in the first place!

It's really the steps along the way that are harder to keep in perspective - I love finishing a piece but spend too long getting distracted or bogged down.

Of course it only works if you're honest with yourself, just like any other todo list or habit tracker, I mean, you could just tick tasks off your todo list even though you haven't done them - but what would be the point? It's exactly the same with this, if you're ticking things off when you haven't done them, then the whole thing is completely pointless. The in-game rewards are deliberately nothing special at all, they only become so when you can say what you did to earn them.

Do you want to join our group? If so send me your user ID.

Response to Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-10 06:18:33

Any takers? Go on.... you know you want to ;)

Response to Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-10 06:58:41

At 3/10/14 06:18 AM, jackmusic wrote: Any takers? Go on.... you know you want to ;)

Ahah!, why the heck not. I mean it might be a nice little experiment and to try it with a bunch of people with the same interest, I'd say im in. I'll join later on today ^-^~

Response to Habitrpg - Who's With Me? 2014-03-10 11:19:50

At 3/10/14 06:58 AM, TH-J wrote:
At 3/10/14 06:18 AM, jackmusic wrote: Any takers? Go on.... you know you want to ;)
Ahah!, why the heck not. I mean it might be a nice little experiment and to try it with a bunch of people with the same interest, I'd say im in. I'll join later on today ^-^~

That's the spirit! Be sure to send me your user CODE not ID as that's how you add people to groups