00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How much time do u use on a track?

6,051 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-04-26 07:59:19

And on some other track I made within 1 day and spent only 7 and a half hours.

Electronic music production: Hardcore and Euro Trance

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-04-27 03:21:49

My latest project have been having 12 hour work times recently. Most of the time goes to sampling and mastering really.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-12 05:47:51

Does including the amount of time one spends faffing around with random guitar parts and synths before actually making something count? If so then any one song can take upwards of 14 days before anything credible forms, once I have an ear for something I can usually polish off a track in 2-4 hours.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-12 12:31:45

At 6/12/14 11:40 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/12/14 05:47 AM, pitbulljones wrote: Does including the amount of time one spends faffing around with random guitar parts and synths before actually making something count? If so then any one song can take upwards of 14 days before anything credible forms, once I have an ear for something I can usually polish off a track in 2-4 hours.
yeah it does.

and hey sexy how ya been ;)

Chron my eld mucker! How are thee? I aint so sexy anymore, more fatter and balder these days ha.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

BBS Signature

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-12 15:00:36

At 6/12/14 01:20 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/12/14 12:31 PM, pitbulljones wrote:
At 6/12/14 11:40 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/12/14 05:47 AM, pitbulljones wrote: Does including the amount of time one spends faffing around with random guitar parts and synths before actually making something count? If so then any one song can take upwards of 14 days before anything credible forms, once I have an ear for something I can usually polish off a track in 2-4 hours.
yeah it does.

and hey sexy how ya been ;)
Chron my eld mucker! How are thee? I aint so sexy anymore, more fatter and balder these days ha.
it's ok - you know I love hair on a face and body.. head hair ain't as important - and I love bears..

well I was good until I read tyhis from zachary and eyelovepoozy in general..

zachary: "Before anyone joins this, remember that the reason it is empty is because Chronamut is an egotistical jerk and that is why his room has nobody in it. If anyone wants to join a real Newgrounds chat, add one of these people on Skype and you will be invited to a room with actual Newgrounds regulars and not robots."

eyelovepoozy: "Don't forgot to mention annoying, gratingly efeminate and dense as holy fucking shit. Where's @Rucklo when you need him."

I mean seriously.. I haven't posted on newgrounds for like 2 years.. why the need to personally insult someone like that?

that's a bit much mate really. I rarely ever contribute to the forums these days, i lurk from time to time, today for example. Occasionally posting some knowledge bombs. I still post music here all the time. Made front page a few times in the last few months. Still don't get enough reviews ha. But yea fuck that shit, general has always been a minefield to just avoid a post ban. Opinions are like assholes mate, we all have one. You've always been decent with means other folk.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

BBS Signature

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-13 11:17:14

I have no idea how you guys can spend whole days on tracks. If I work consistently (not on-or-off) on a track for more than 3 days, usually the appeal of it gets buried with every hour of work. I like quick bursts of creation.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-18 08:01:46

At 6/13/14 03:10 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/13/14 11:17 AM, Juicebomb wrote: I have no idea how you guys can spend whole days on tracks. If I work consistently (not on-or-off) on a track for more than 3 days, usually the appeal of it gets buried with every hour of work. I like quick bursts of creation.
I am more a producer than anything so for me it's making sure it sounds right.. I like that part more than actually putting the melodies together.

That's fair. I have a wide definition of what sounds good to my ears so I usually don't labour over stuff, but I totally see the appeal of doing so.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-18 09:04:46

I usually compose first, then mix/tweak, then master it, and tweaking is usually the real time sink. Composition pretty much never takes more than 5-7 hours, while the whole shebang of tweaking and mixing can take 10 or more hours to do. The quickest I've ever gotten something passable out was about 2 hours, but it was pretty basic in terms of layering and musicallity.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-19 23:33:25

So I usually spend between 4 and 8 hours total on any song ever. Composition is almost completely done in in 1-3 hours, pretty much always. Sound design and mixing/mastering take usually no more than 4 hours when combined. I really should spend more time on tracks, though.

New self-titled album out now!

Lantaren

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-27 09:44:04

At 6/18/14 02:27 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/18/14 09:52 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/18/14 08:01 AM, Juicebomb wrote:
That's fair. I have a wide definition of what sounds good to my ears so I usually don't labour over stuff, but I totally see the appeal of doing so.
I have a certain spacial standard I like to adhere to - as long as it fits that or better I'm good :)
a lot of people don't value the importance of stereo and production - I link them this - this is imo one of the most perfectly produced songs ever. If it was a physical thing it would be an elven creation in its delicate grace and perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10l15oFNGY

That's pretty transcendental. It almost feels like each sound is a physical thing you can reach out and touch.

In contrast, though, here's my defense for sloppier mixing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2FOnrFlEJY

This song, if I had to compare it to a living thing, would be a dark elf. Just a really rugged, brutal, but still slender thing. The production is incredibly messy and you can tell it was made in the course of a day, which is the charm for me.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-06-27 10:18:56

At 6/27/14 10:00 AM, Chronamut wrote: ughghg central mixing.. the bane of my existence.. stabbing at your brain hahaha.. I liek tp spread the whole mix out so it feels like it is blanketed over your ears - imo mixing is an artform, and one that you learn over time. I had to turn this song off haha..

That's fair! It is an ungodly ugly song. Regardless, it never ceases to make me lose my shit whenever I hear it.

Response to How much time do u use on a track? 2014-07-03 09:00:13

2-minute instrumental song: 1-2 hours.
4-5 minute mashup: 2-4 hours.
3-4 minute vocal song: 3-5 hours.

I'm not kidding. Really.

Many of my friends and fellow composers (FL Studio at most) ask why the heck do I compose that fast. I guess it's because I have this "I have to hurry up with my work or else I will lose motivation" thing. It's like my attention span is very limited, and usually I end up abandoning projects when I work on them for too long, or just, uh, mess up the last parts. I don't like that.

So, uh I ended up most of the time hurrying up, but of course, for super serious cases, slowing down to about days apart, or doing other things aside from composing.

If you're not a "people" person, you are a gifted artist. --Me

Original Games

Original Music