00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ShadowTheHaxGod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Starting singing at 19?

1,005 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 14:12:52

Hey there. I have a question for the Audio community.
I've recently gained an interest in taking up singing and becoming a vocalist. A large part of this interest has stemmed from listening to a lot of compositions from the Portal here, in fact. I've only just registered after returning to this site a lot over the years.

I haven't sung much before; it is, as I mentioned, a recent interest that I want to partake in and also something that would help my confidence (which I feel is waning right now.)

The simple question is, with my life story aside: would it be possible to improve my singing voice at nineteen years of age, and learn to sing despite not being very musical in the past?

Apologies if I've worded this rather awkwardky, but I have searched around for answers and my feelings remain mixed. Note that I previously considered rap, but meh...the idea of me rapping fell apart quickly, this feels like something more meaningful. Anyway, I dearly appreciate any responses and thanks in advance.

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 16:31:00

It is always possible to improve.

Take some lessons. Learn how to breathe properly.

BBS Signature

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 17:07:14

At 2/10/14 04:31 PM, MichaelJ wrote: It is always possible to improve.

Take some lessons. Learn how to breathe properly.

Thank you very much, that's encouraging to read. I have been referring to articles and videos about vocal breathing exercises, although lessons sound like the most reliable way forward. Thanks again.

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 17:13:38

At 2/10/14 04:41 PM, Bspendlove wrote: Yeah, in college lessons our singing teacher taught us different ways to practice your breathing.

I am no singing expert but we always tried these:

variations on : breathe in (4) - Hold for 4 and then breathe out for 4.... Don't rush the breathing and don't try to gasp too much air in or blow out

Try variations like - Breathe in for 4 - hold for 4 and then breathe out for 8 (Breathing out for 8 beats, you would have to decrease the speed of your exhaling by half than you would with 4... Just go twice as slow... duh!)

Work on the pronunciation of letters/words etc... That exercise about the ping pong ball? xD You sing it, and every time you finish it you speed it up... Works well on your pronunciation, don't slack those words!

Thank you kindly, Bspendlove. I'll be certain to refer to your advice and yes, pronunciation is something I agree must be practiced. Thanks again for the detailed response.

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 18:04:39

I started randomly singing when I was about 18 and home alone, too embarrassed to do it in front of anyway because I was so terrible.
I did a lot of reading on how to do it, how to do it without hurting my throat and breathing techniques then one day it just kind of clicked - most of my issue wasn't a lack of the ability to sing, it was the lack of confidence in my voice. Once I broke through that I was able to improve a lot in a short time.

Now I'm 24 and I still only sing from time to time when nobody's about, but I'm quite happy with the few tracks I've sung on.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28025798/My%20Music/Space%20And%20Time%20Just%20Vocals%20Example.mp3

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 19:42:22

At 2/10/14 06:04 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I started randomly singing when I was about 18 and home alone, too embarrassed to do it in front of anyway because I was so terrible.
I did a lot of reading on how to do it, how to do it without hurting my throat and breathing techniques then one day it just kind of clicked - most of my issue wasn't a lack of the ability to sing, it was the lack of confidence in my voice. Once I broke through that I was able to improve a lot in a short time.

Now I'm 24 and I still only sing from time to time when nobody's about, but I'm quite happy with the few tracks I've sung on.

hey cool, you're basically me. except i sing in front of people a bunch! performing is fun (and embarrassing (but mainly fun))!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-10 20:17:33

It's only too late when you're 50.
19 is hella young.

BBS Signature

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-11 00:03:56

I was singing bass at age 16, then I moved up to baritone at age 18, and now I am singing tenor and still trying to improve on it. My biggest advice to you is to sing as much as you can. Whenever you're in the car, sing. Whenever you're alone, sing.

Right now, you should just sing in a range and genre you're comfortable with, occasionally pushing yourself but not going overboard. It sort of reminds me of lifting weights in a gym.

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-11 00:07:55

Go for it, 19 is still very young. (Although age shouldn't stop you from pursuing your interests.)

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-11 01:23:38

go for it! i too share your sentiment and worry on starting singing. i sing like a dying cat, maybe better, but i have fun with it. i would really like to improve myself greatly and get to singing professionally, and there is always room for improvement. i am but one year older than you, so definitely go for it! i certainly am!

and do note, confidence is key!

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-11 16:36:29

Thanks for all the insightful responses, friends. It's all interesting to read and I am truly inspired to pursue the role of a vocalist. Thanks again.

Response to Starting singing at 19? 2014-02-11 18:08:33

Anything for a fellow fox!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature