00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

tab ordering on message sending

434 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-09 02:54:20

When you type a message, sometimes you will instinctively (since this works on.. like 99% of websites) hit tab followed by enter in rapid succession.

On NG that resets the form.

That's a little asinine. Would be lovely if someone remedied that oversight.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-12 18:19:07

At 2/9/14 02:54 AM, sharpnova wrote: When you type a message, sometimes you will instinctively (since this works on.. like 99% of websites) hit tab followed by enter in rapid succession.

I don't think I've ever actually used the tab key in any online message form. Try it out on other websites and you should see that it doesn't work on most of them, search bars, contact forms etc... unless the site has added a function for it, tab spaces are generally unsupported.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-13 01:25:01

I'm talking about pressing the tab key to move to the next tab-ordered element on a webpage, which is almost always the submit button.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-13 03:58:16

At 2/13/14 01:25 AM, sharpnova wrote: I'm talking about pressing the tab key to move to the next tab-ordered element on a webpage, which is almost always the submit button.

Ah, my bad. There's a ton of buttons to cycle through before you get to the 'Reset form' link though. I guess the way to solve this would be to place that link after the Post button (if that's the one you are aiming for), but since none of these script-based elements are highlighted or have a link displayed at page bottom, you wouldn't know which one you're on anyway without counting tab hits... which seem to be around 20. Wouldn't it be easier to just click Post?

BBS Signature

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-13 20:13:51

At 2/13/14 03:58 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/13/14 01:25 AM, sharpnova wrote: I'm talking about pressing the tab key to move to the next tab-ordered element on a webpage, which is almost always the submit button.
Ah, my bad. There's a ton of buttons to cycle through before you get to the 'Reset form' link though. I guess the way to solve this would be to place that link after the Post button (if that's the one you are aiming for), but since none of these script-based elements are highlighted or have a link displayed at page bottom, you wouldn't know which one you're on anyway without counting tab hits... which seem to be around 20. Wouldn't it be easier to just click Post?

No. I don't think so. And It's not a ton of buttons. It's the very first result. Likely because it is directly below the message field.

I really don't understand why whenever Newgrounds has made a mistake the first reaction on most people's parts is to defend it rather than simply agree it should/could be fixed.

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-14 16:44:15

At 2/13/14 08:13 PM, sharpnova wrote: No. I don't think so. And It's not a ton of buttons. It's the very first result. Likely because it is directly below the message field.

When I hit the message area and press tab, I get the NG logo link first, followed by all menu items, then the user menu items, then wall artist, then... I don't know because the scriptable areas don't have viewable links, but it's quite a few before it reaches the footer menu so I'm guessing it's formatting buttons, then reset, upload and post.

I really don't understand why whenever Newgrounds has made a mistake the first reaction on most people's parts is to defend it rather than simply agree it should/could be fixed.

Maybe because people don't consider it a mistake? If someone suggested an NG radio feature I'd be all for it (just an example), but personally this isn't a feature I'd ever need to use. But sure, I guess if they changed the order (or added one) for linked elements it'd be easy to make 'Post' the first to tab to.

BBS Signature

Response to tab ordering on message sending 2014-02-15 03:46:13

Yes you're right. It's actually not going to the reset form (but what it's going to is nearly as bad)

You may not be a power user like me. But for power users, features like efficient/intuitive keyboard support are key.

It's also pretty basic in terms of web design.

The things I've listed that people have disregarded here have always been very fundamental and logical issues. Things that people would agree with if I was, say, a moderator or some much-loved community member. I will win in the end though. As logic and intelligence always does.