00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Rules" on Making Art

1,010 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

"Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-05 12:39:14

Do you have any "rules" or guidelines you follow when creating art? I would love to hear them.

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-05 13:36:22

At 2/5/14 12:39 PM, maemaemae wrote: Do you have any "rules" or guidelines you follow when creating art? I would love to hear them.

- Copying existing work is a waste of time unless you add your own perspective/ personal touch to it.
- Every new drawing is a learning experience.
(this rule may or may not contradict the previous rule)
- Once in a while take a step back and try to look at your work as if it were made by another person. And think about what you like/dislike about it.
- Don't go all out on the glitter. Just a little sprinkle per piece is enough.

- second life is not art >:)

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-06 07:55:54

At 2/5/14 12:39 PM, maemaemae wrote: Do you have any "rules" or guidelines you follow when creating art? I would love to hear them.

Never stop practicing. Ever.
Experiment with styles, learn the fundamentals such as perspective, anatomy and chromatics and have an open mind for critique.

Also, there are no real "rules" in art. If used properly, all approches can be good. In return, they can all be bad, too. It depends on the way you use them together.

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-09 19:34:48

I have two suggestions. One I picked up from a book, the other form an interview.
1. Draw realistically, you will learn the most, don't try to develop a style, it will come naturally, copying a style can be easy and fun, but that way you will never learn why the creator of that style put that line there.
2. Draw form life, as in real-time, not form a picture or a screen, you will see greater improvement this way, specially with humans and moving stuff, you will get a better sense of weight (you know when people in drawings sort of look right but somehow stiff, and you can't quite put your finger on it, this is the main problem it seams, this solves it)

My advice:
Draw as much as you can, as soon as you can. The only requirement for you to start is to be able to hold a pencil. Don't waste to much time reading about it, just do it. Draw something. Then look at it. If it looks wrong, ask your self why. The building looks weird? Wonder why. You will find yourself learning perspective. Draw something else. What doesn't look right? That guy looks funny? You will find yourself learning anatomy. Draw again, and again and again, while constantly calibrating with needed knowledge till you're near perfect.
Just know, that it will never be perfect. Because by the time you finish a single painting, you will have grown as an artist, rendering that painting inferior to your current abilities. You can try again, but the result will be the same.

Its a long journey, and takes time, but worth the wait.

But if you want a quick fix, it would be gradients, faint texture and some sort of composition in mind (the rule of thirds for example if you don't have any other plan in mind).

Cheers

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-09 21:21:18

At 2/5/14 01:36 PM, Nacco wrote:
- Copying existing work is a waste of time unless you add your own perspective/ personal touch to it.
- Every new drawing is a learning experience.
(this rule may or may not contradict the previous rule)
- Once in a while take a step back and try to look at your work as if it were made by another person. And think about what you like/dislike about it.
- Don't go all out on the glitter. Just a little sprinkle per piece is enough.
- second life is not art >:)

I've heard the first rule be disagreed upon. Some artists picked up their drawing skills just by copying comics/images. I've heard artists copy straight from The Simpsons in particular.

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-09 21:24:26

At 2/9/14 07:34 PM, minibraun wrote: I have two suggestions. One I picked up from a book, the other form an interview.

This is really fantastic. All of it. Thank you!

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-10 07:00:40

Never publish something you just did.

If it's for personal use this is a golden rule for me. And if it's a commercial work, I applied it when I can. I always give the draw a few hours to sink, maybe even the night, or more. Then I re-visit the draw or design and see it again "for the first time". It0s amazing to see how many things I end changing.

Note* I do this ONCE. If I it put to sleep for every change I'll never post or publish anything, ever.

Response to "Rules" on Making Art 2014-02-13 17:43:48

At 2/10/14 07:00 AM, Gagz9k wrote: Never publish something you just did.

If it's for personal use this is a golden rule for me. And if it's a commercial work, I applied it when I can. I always give the draw a few hours to sink, maybe even the night, or more. Then I re-visit the draw or design and see it again "for the first time". It0s amazing to see how many things I end changing.

Note* I do this ONCE. If I it put to sleep for every change I'll never post or publish anything, ever.

That's a rule I'm definitely going to pick up. I usually get really excited when I feel something is "finished" & post it immediately, only to see I missed a detail or two minutes to days later.