00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Little help with my home "studio"

1,177 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-09 11:32:15

I'll try to make this as quick as possible.
I'm really into starting to compose music (i've played some instruments for many years, but just that)
I've been getting stuff and putting together a home "studio" for basic stuff, at this moment would only be a hobbie and then see what could happen next.
My budget, being a student/half-time employee on a third world country is limited.
I'd like to make almost all kinds of music, well as much genres as possible, but mostly, Metal, and chiptune music.

Being a beginner, i'm not sure if i should invest on a mid-tier pair of monitors, like the Yamaha's HS50M i'm being offered for $300 (good price here in this country) or if i should get cheaper ones (half of money) (AV40)? or if i should get a good MIDI-Controller instead, or an acoustic guitar with a mic??. Or just save for a new PC? Basically, i'd just like to know your opinion.

Right know i've managed to get this stuff.

Instruments:
Guitar: Ibanez RG550
Bass: Fender Jazz MIJ
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Old PC with Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ and 3GB of RAM (Fl Studio and many VSTi's).

The only thing i have to listen what i would do, are shitty $20 headphones, that give me an idea of what i'm listening.
So, do you think i should pull the trigger for the Yamaha monitors? or should i just get some much cheaper speakers like AV40's or Logitech Z623's? or other more important thing first?
Keep in mind, my ears are very untrained and i don't have any kind of acoustic treatment in my room.

I'd really appreciate any opinion!.

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-09 13:03:00

At 1/9/14 12:39 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: My personal advice:
For now I would invest in the Yamaha's outright, go down the super cheap way of Dampening your room (i.e, Blankets, carpet, curtains, cheap panels etc.) and invest in a Cheap 49-key MIDI keyboard, second hand if you need to save some extra cash.

I would consider being able to properly hear what you are making as one of the most important things. Over an extended amount of time you will get used to the Yamaha's sound if you decide to get them and you'll figure out what sounds right and wrong well enough.

Thanks man!, it really makes sense. Do you think those Yamaha's are good enough for starters? and also, do you think they're good enough for just relaxing and listening music (like someone would do on a Hifi)?. I've heard some people say that these monitors lack in bass. Thanks for your answer, again.

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-09 13:21:04

Given that you've got the Scarlett already, definitely go for a set of monitors. I'm not too up to speed as far as gear goes, but the Yamaha ones that you linked seemed pretty good value for money.

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-09 19:01:32

At 1/9/14 01:35 PM, LichLordMusic wrote:
At 1/9/14 01:03 PM, Lemming18 wrote:
At 1/9/14 12:39 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: My personal advice:
For now I would invest in the Yamaha's outright, go down the super cheap way of Dampening your room (i.e, Blankets, carpet, curtains, cheap panels etc.) and invest in a Cheap 49-key MIDI keyboard, second hand if you need to save some extra cash.

I would consider being able to properly hear what you are making as one of the most important things. Over an extended amount of time you will get used to the Yamaha's sound if you decide to get them and you'll figure out what sounds right and wrong well enough.

Thanks man!, it really makes sense. Do you think those Yamaha's are good enough for starters? and also, do you think they're good enough for just relaxing and listening music (like someone would do on a Hifi)?. I've heard some people say that these monitors lack in bass. Thanks for your answer, again.
For Starting monitors, the Yamaha's seem like a pretty awesome choice (I started out myself on a pair of cheap Alesis 520's and after 1 1/2 years got a pair of ADAM A5X's when I was confident enough to make the leap). I wouldn't worry too much about other people saying that they lack bass, you would be the judge of that one at the end of the day. If you think they are not bass-intensive enough for your needs, save up for a sub later on otherwise you are all good to go!

Studio Monitors for general listening won't sound as 'colourful' as a similar-priced/more expensive HiFi system as they are designed to get a more flat/neutral response which is essential for Mastering your tracks. General rule-of-thumb (in the ol' LichLord book) is to reference your finished tracks on other speaker systems once you have finished recording/composing & mastering your stuff and see if it sounds good on other systems. Chances are if it sounds good on the Yamaha's, it will sound pretty good in general on other systems (can't guarantee that one completely). But for general listening they will still sound pretty damn nice.

Whoa, again, i'm thankful for your answer. I've also been thinking in some other idea (not to discredit all you've said). Do you think it would be better if i just got some good headphones like ATH-M50 and some cheap PC speakers ? (think of 50 bucks Logitech speakers or something).

That way, i wouldn't have to worry about acoustic treatment, or some kind of isolation pads and all that stuff, or a possible lack of bass. That way, i'd also know how everything sounds from the kind of speakers most people use (i mean shitty ones).

Also, i wouldn't have to worry about disturbing other people in my house or even neighbours (my window is very close to theirs).

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-11 16:00:03

In my opinion, it'd be better to just have a somewhat cheaper set of standard PC speakers (for reference), and invest your money in some decent studio headphones instead (e.g. Shure SRH 440). Headphones generally give the more accurate representation of the music anyway, and it really allows you to fine-tune the mix. Buying those monitors for $300,- would be an absolute waste of money.

Since you've stated that you use many VSTi's, it might be worth upgrading your PC as well. You'll probably want an i5 / Quad Core processor, and about 6-8 GB of RAM, if all you want to do is create pop/rock/metal/electronic music etc.

MIDI keyboards are great in general, but not essential for making music. They sure come in handy most of the time, though. You'll probably spend about $100-$200 for a decent 49-61 key midi keyboard.

You can get microphones pretty cheap as well. Between $50-$150 should get you something decent.

Hope this helped, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them :)

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-11 16:21:47

I do all my music using a $130 Logitek speaker system and $120 headphones. Sure I'd like to have better stuff but I get by and I've learnt to use them over time (years and years now).
I agree, headphones are essential as they allow you to clearly perceive the "space" in the piece, where instruments are (are they close, far away, left or right?) but at the same times speakers are important too because they will tell you how balanced the frequencies of your mix are, a lot more so than headphones.
You need both.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-11 16:35:00

At 1/11/14 04:21 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I do all my music using a $130 Logitek speaker system and $120 headphones. Sure I'd like to have better stuff but I get by and I've learnt to use them over time (years and years now).
I agree, headphones are essential as they allow you to clearly perceive the "space" in the piece, where instruments are (are they close, far away, left or right?) but at the same times speakers are important too because they will tell you how balanced the frequencies of your mix are, a lot more so than headphones.
You need both.

Yes, and I would just further add that it's just as important to know your own speakers and room so you can compensate for them. But don't stop there, bounce your tracks and listen to them in a variety of different speakers and ways. For example, my final test usually involves me putting a blender in the bathroom, and singing in the shower along with the track as it plays in the other room with my speakers on full blast. This usually always helps.... sometimes.

Response to Little help with my home "studio" 2014-01-13 12:57:18

Hi again! I ended up getting the Yamaha's HS50M last saturday, (before you posted). I'm not used to the sound of monitors, its my first time using them. There's a clear lack of bass, but i know that's normal with 5" monitors, however, i got mixed feelings (there's a little voice inside me saying "You should've got the headphones instead"), but i suppose i'll get used to them. Worst case scenario, i could sell them at the same price i got 'em, but im really gonna give 'em a chance, i could end up some good headphones like the ones EagleGuard suggested too (whynotboth.jpg), by the way, thanks for your help man!.

About your suggestions, yes, soon i'll get a new PC this year :), i think i'll go big with it, Core i7 at least and 8GB of RAM.
The keyboard, i'm not sure if i should get a cheap Keystation 49es (used for $70), or a Roland A-49 (Its $230 here, $179 on USA).
The microphone, i'd use it for recording an acoustic guitar and maybe different types of flutes, i was thinking 'bout an AT2020 ($100).

I appreciate the advice of the 3 of you!. And by the way, MetalRenard, which speakers do you have?
Thanks everyone.