00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YendorNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking For *honest* Reviews

526 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-27 15:20:19

I just posted my newest spacebar-themed game, and I would really like to have some honest people play it, and tell me what they thought. That could be its strengths, weaknesses, possible suggestions (that could have made it better)--anything really. No ranting please :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/629233

Looking For *honest* Reviews

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-27 16:22:08

It's the best game ever.
Don't change anything.

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-27 19:41:24

At 11/27/13 04:22 PM, kkots wrote: It's the best game ever.
Don't change anything.

The sarcasm here is overwhelming. *explodes*

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-27 21:42:36

At 11/27/13 07:41 PM, Lavaflame2 wrote: The sarcasm here is overwhelming. *explodes*

No, I was trying to convince you that your game is good.
Since you disagreed, you already know that it's not good.
So why do you ask?

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-28 01:39:22

You need to make good use of screen (or in your case the stage) estate, don't leave whitespace unless you are going for an elegant or simplistic and/or guided layout. The flesh of the game itself is centered to the left of the screen, might want to center the action in the middle and have the timer more appealing (and more alerting when time's nearly up).

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-11-30 08:41:01

At 11/28/13 12:23 AM, Innermike wrote: So the real question is why did you bother replying?

Because he's childish and was trolling.

OP:

It's a decent concept, but the execution could be improved. Having the character sit in one place and never need to defend himself makes the game lack variety and re-playability. Allowing the player to move the character around, and having the enemies attack, would make it a lot more fun. You could also get rid of the timer and have the round end when the player's health drops to zero (or not, just a thought).

Having the unlockable powerups is a good idea; I would expand on that. More powerups would give the player more incentive to keep playing. A projectile weapon powerup would be neat, or dual wielding for a faster attack speed. Anything that the player can work toward that is basically a "game changer"; something that can make play the game in a slightly different manner.

Also, like the two posters above me, I did not like the graphics. You don't need to be a renowned artist, or have access to one (though it does help) but you should put a little more effort into your assets. Especially the buttons: there is no discernible theme or style to them. Some have thicker borders than others, some have gradients while others have striped backgrounds, some have hand-written words and numbers while others have them typed, some are dark while others are light, et cetera. All of your buttons should be designed with the same theme. Look at how the buttons on Newgrounds are designed for a good example of that. I also recommend using a sans-serif font. Using serif just looks goofy in that context.

Personally I have no problem with the custom cursor per se, but I don't like the level of inertia that it has. If you right-click the SWF application to make the operating system's cursor appear you'll see that your custom cursor really lags behind where the cursor actually is. Makes it feel unresponsive.

And finally, in my opinion, you should use a 16:9 aspect ratio. Widescreen rules.

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-12-01 15:20:11

That isnt a custom cursor... its the default stencyl cursor. I have NO IDEA how to make a custom one--i didn't even know it was possible (and i dont think it is in stencyl)

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-12-01 16:33:33

At 12/1/13 03:20 PM, Lavaflame2 wrote: That isnt a custom cursor... its the default stencyl cursor. I have NO IDEA how to make a custom one--i didn't even know it was possible (and i dont think it is in stencyl)

When we're saying "custom cursor" we don't mean that you created it. We mean that the operating system's cursor is being hidden and an image is being placed over where the cursor is. Like I said though, I have no problem with the cursor itself, I just really don't like the inertia being applied to it. I think you should either remove the inertia or remove the custom cursor entirely.

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-12-01 17:16:56

Well, interesting concept but I do not like the graphics. Also, try making it so you have to go from platform to platform to get to the monsters/wahtevers and then smash them.

But definitely redo the graphics. They are really bad.

Sorry if it sounds mean, but you asked for honest reviews :P

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-12-02 21:32:39

At 12/1/13 05:16 PM, Mightybob wrote: Well, interesting concept but I do not like the graphics. Also, try making it so you have to go from platform to platform to get to the monsters/wahtevers and then smash them.

But definitely redo the graphics. They are really bad.

Sorry if it sounds mean, but you asked for honest reviews :P

No no, that's what i asked for people to do. I just... what graphics are you talking about? The monsters + swords + bars I spend A LOT of time on, and redoing would yield no improvement. Are you unimpressed with the button graphics?

Response to Looking For *honest* Reviews 2013-12-03 02:42:48

At 12/2/13 09:32 PM, Lavaflame2 wrote: No no, that's what i asked for people to do. I just... what graphics are you talking about? The monsters + swords + bars I spend A LOT of time on, and redoing would yield no improvement. Are you unimpressed with the button graphics?

If you really did spend "A LOT" of time, which to me, since you emphasised it, is claiming several hours to over a day on each of those assets, then perhaps you're producing them in an inefficient manner that could be done much more quickly. There's simply not enough complexity or style in your art to warrant anything longer than a few minutes each. What program do you use for your art? And is there some experimental technique you're using?

But I can tell you that he's referring to all of your graphics. Your main character is a single-colour stick figure holding a brown line, and your monsters are all the exact same shape, with only their tint and rudimentary facial expressions changed. Surely you can understand why people don't like that.