00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joker1222344 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Secret Santa 2014

9,653 Views | 127 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-26 21:16:40

At 11/26/13 09:05 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: Shit, Let's be Santa. *snip*

Oh crud, structure details!
Um.
-Something that starts out ethereal, Don't be afraid to make it long and drawn out, I actually like that stuff.

-Complex and original Chords and progressions, don't be afraid to experiment.

-A Recurring melodic motif, alterations acceptable, and it would be something you can hear and go "Oh! Its THAT song", since The rest of the melodies hopefully will be different.

-Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya. [I can handle composing a huge song if my person wants one c: ]*
*If that is against the rules, or something, please disregard.

-Counter-melodies, Harmonies, counter subjects and answers. Yes. Just. Yes.

The rest is up to you Santa!~ Suprise me with awesome stuff! :D

Boy, IT Sure is BOring AroUnd

Here. Lets GO Shoot SUmething

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-26 21:23:53

At 11/26/13 09:16 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote:
At 11/26/13 09:05 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: Shit, Let's be Santa. *snip*
-Complex and original Chords and progressions, don't be afraid to experiment.
-A Recurring melodic motif, alterations acceptable, and it would be something you can hear and go "Oh! Its THAT song", since The rest of the melodies hopefully will be different.
-Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya. [I can handle composing a huge song if my person wants one c: ]*
*If that is against the rules, or something, please disregard.
-Counter-melodies, Harmonies, counter subjects and answers. Yes. Just. Yes.

The rest is up to you Santa!~ Suprise me with awesome stuff! :D

If I had to make you a song, I honestly would have no idea what to do, so I am a little worried.
This posting system won't work because I quoted more text than what I wrote :(

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-26 21:26:20

At 11/26/13 09:23 PM, BlueOceans wrote: If I had to make you a song, I honestly would have no idea what to do, so I am a little worried.
This posting system won't work because I quoted more text than what I wrote :(

Oh crud, did I write to many words? :o
I can simplify it if needed, I thought I should be as specific as possible to help Santa. ; ^ ;

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 08:28:51

Would love to join this, but just picked up another job which is going to take up my december. Im really interested in hearing what you guys create though!

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 16:45:02

At 11/26/13 09:16 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: -Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya. [I can handle composing a huge song if my person wants one c: ]*

I...

I kinda really want to get this guy.

Mostly for the trolling potential.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 21:16:27

At 11/27/13 04:45 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 11/26/13 09:16 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: -Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya. [I can handle composing a huge song if my person wants one c: ]*
I...

I kinda really want to get this guy.

Mostly for the trolling potential.

Well I can trade with you if I get him, how about that? Especially if you end up getting me so then I can just write for myself.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 21:33:12

Yay, another Secret Santa - I'm in!

This year.. hm.. I'm in the mood for something epic, orchestral. Doesn't matter if it ends up being a cinematic song, a techno track with lots of strings, death polka dubstep moombahton or whatever. Just throw in some orchestral instruments. And some 8bit stuff, if you like it. The wilder, the better. ;D

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 21:47:34

At 11/26/13 09:16 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: -Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya.

Haha, I hope I'll get to make this song, I'd feel amazed and trolled at the same time. ;D

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-27 22:49:33

At 11/27/13 09:47 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 11/26/13 09:16 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: -Something long, probably bigger than Newgrounds would allow in the portal, like 8-12 minutes, but if you go to like, 30 minutes, then more power to ya.
Haha, I hope I'll get to make this song, I'd feel amazed and trolled at the same time. ;D

If I get you or anyone else who'd like to troll me in that regard, I'd love to troll right back at'cha >:3
I already wrote down a schedule to devote a few hours everyday of december for this.
Just to make my presentee have huge medical bills for the Jaw that they broke from listening to it.

At least that's what I dream about, the most I get would probably be a lol.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-28 00:10:02

At 11/27/13 10:49 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: Just to make my presentee have huge medical bills for the Jaw that they broke from listening to it.

As long as you don't mind him billing you for that.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-28 05:38:51

At 11/27/13 10:49 PM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: If I get you or anyone else who'd like to troll me in that regard, I'd love to troll right back at'cha >:3
I already wrote down a schedule to devote a few hours everyday of december for this.
Just to make my presentee have huge medical bills for the Jaw that they broke from listening to it.

Don't get me wrong, I would not troll, I would just feel trolled - a song fitting your description, with 8-30 minutes length is just.. a lot of work. However, I always put lots of effort into the Secret Santa tracks. ;)

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-29 20:26:19

I'm so totally joining this shiznit.

You must write me a love song about how much you want me, the lyrics must be at least a little absurd (the crazier, the better), and it must be you singing/speaking/reading poetry/wooing (any combination of these is acceptable). No, I don't care if the best mic you have is the crappiest one ever made. I also encourage you to stalk me a reasonable amount to obtain the content of the lyrics.

You may use any style/genre, but try to avoid screamo. Yelling is fine, just don't try to sing at the same time.

Here is an image of a cat, to stir your creative processes:

Audio Secret Santa 2014

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-29 21:08:59

I'm In!

I like creative Instrumental Hip/Hop or Breakbeat, Darkstep and I have recently gotten into Melodic Metal. Whichever would be fine, so don't worry about trying to make some crazy fusion of them all.

I like Melancholy

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 03:56:21

OK I'M JOINING, if anything for the Step pun in the opening post.

At 11/25/13 05:09 PM, Stupor wrote: explains what to do, step by step, in detail.

Each year I've joined I've always been very lenient on what I want. Now I want to be a bit more specific.

I'd like a chillout/progressive track, possibly with cinematic elements. Very melody-oriented, intricate, full of dynamics, soft sections, climactic sections, and the like. Great examples of what I'm looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNiD9M59FQE

If they contain melodies from one of my original 2013/2012 tracks, BONUS POINTS.

ObsidianSnow, SineRider, JacobCadmus... If I get any of you, sorry in advance for any disappointments I will cause x_x.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 04:06:08

At 11/30/13 03:56 AM, Step wrote: ObsidianSnow, SineRider, JacobCadmus... If I get any of you, sorry in advance for any disappointments I will cause x_x.

What you mean to say is that if you get me, you will write me the most irresistible and sensual poetry I have ever read, and move me so deeply with your vocal performance that I will be struck speechless and cry tears of joy. You will make me want you.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 04:17:59

At 11/30/13 04:06 AM, ObsidianSnow wrote: What you mean to say is that if you get me, you will write me the most irresistible and sensual poetry I have ever read, and move me so deeply with your vocal performance that I will be struck speechless and cry tears of joy. You will make me want you.

Yeah um. That's what I mean. Yes.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 04:31:41

I had an idea for this where the musicians could rank the top 5 musicians they'd like to compose for and then we could feed that into some sort of best matching algorithm so that the musicians would be more likely to get someone that they would want to compose for. I say this because, personally, I'd be fine with composing a 10 minute song, but I know that might not be everyone's cup of tea. If we did this, it'd be more likely that we'd compose something that we'd want to, and it's also more likely that our recipient would enjoy what we composed for them.

What do you guys think? Or does this go against the spirit of the secret santa?

Also, yess Step is in.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 07:00:17

At 11/30/13 04:31 AM, johnfn wrote: What do you guys think? Or does this go against the spirit of the secret santa?

I personally think it goes against the whole idea. To me, the point of this contest is not only to get a song that you like but also to go out of your comfort zone to make a song for someone else, whether that person wants the kind of music you make or not.

@Stupor, out of curiosity, are the allocations randomised or chosen specifically?

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 07:54:27

At 11/30/13 07:00 AM, Step wrote:
At 11/30/13 04:31 AM, johnfn wrote: What do you guys think? Or does this go against the spirit of the secret santa?
I personally think it goes against the whole idea. To me, the point of this contest is not only to get a song that you like but also to go out of your comfort zone to make a song for someone else, whether that person wants the kind of music you make or not.

100% agree with this. I mean, a lot of careers in music require the ability to make what someone wants, specifically a game studio that has hired you, or a movie studio...whatever. These audio challenges are great for exercising your musical boney bones into composing anything. This skill satisfies not only job specs, but allows vast freedom in song writing.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 08:15:00

Im in :D

Id love something featuring vocals and a slow Tempo...and...yeah...i wont ask much this year from santa, thats it! ^^

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 11:07:46

At 11/30/13 07:00 AM, Step wrote:

@Stupor, out of curiosity, are the allocations randomised or chosen specifically?

You're right on the money - they're randomized. Getting out of one's comfort zone is part of the fun and challenge - also I think it's good practice to be given a deadline and an assignment you may not be used to. If you can receive that and manage to deliver a song that represents your talents well, then you're ready for the professional music world.

(Mostly it's just fun.)

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 15:00:12

This sounds sweet! I'm in!

I want a soft breeze.
A nostalgic feel.
I'm not a gold digger, but have nerves of steel.
A feeling of Chrono Trigger.
To put my mind at ease.

If that does not feel right to make, you can bake me a cake!
En epic cake with many ingredients to keep me entertained!
Not too much though or it'll get my mind stained.

Electronic is also fine.
A sound like Sonic, and I won't whine.

I'm good at poetry, right?

wat

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 15:51:53

At 11/30/13 03:00 PM, Mawnz wrote: If that does not feel right to make, you can bake me a cake!

Does anyone have any good DAW recommendations for baking cakes?

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 15:55:15

At 11/30/13 03:51 PM, Stupor wrote: Does anyone have any good DAW recommendations for baking cakes?

mspaint

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 17:12:59

At 11/30/13 11:07 AM, Stupor wrote: You're right on the money - they're randomized. Getting out of one's comfort zone is part of the fun and challenge - also I think it's good practice to be given a deadline and an assignment you may not be used to. If you can receive that and manage to deliver a song that represents your talents well, then you're ready for the professional music world.

(Mostly it's just fun.)

Fair enough. Really I just wanted to troll some people. I will just cross my fingers.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-11-30 17:48:59

I'm in.

I'm easy, I think. I like hearing music that sounds like thought and effort was put into the detail of the composition ... like every bar matters more than just filling time until the next change in the music. I don't care what the genre is* (restrictions apply, see below) is or if the instruments are totally realistic, as long as it's not so loopy, canned, and repetitive that it sounds like an electronic loopfruityfest. :) You know what I mean. I'm more into detail of composition/writing than I am into super-neat-o effects. (Though I have much respect the people who are good at them.) If you can mix in a good folky/worldy wind instrument like a shakuhachi or a kaval, it's an easy way to score points with me. If you can mix together said folk instrument with pipe organ and electric guitar, it might be awesome. On second thought, don't ... I want to do that. Maybe just stick to the folk wind and good writing.

*I don't like rap or unpitched screaming. Ronnie James Dio style sing-screamy-singiness if fine (and greatly admired, if you can do it well). Screamo is not. Rap, in any form, is not fine. Some genres rely on obvious loops by definition, and we've already covered my distaste for them, so they are right out. Also, don't make a country-western song. I also hate the effect where you do something, then do it double speed, then at quad speed etc etc ... until it sounds like someone I'm having a grande mal seizure. It seems I shouldn't have said any genre was fine. Oh well. I like scotch. I'll probably get someone who wants dubstep. It'll be a hoot!

Merry CHristmas~!

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-12-01 06:11:43

IM DOWN!

I like glitchiness, mid-tempo wonderfulness. Lots of modulated basses and synths.

=D

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-12-01 12:41:16

Seems interesting. I'll join in.

I'm a sucker for heavy drops, but on the complete other end I also adore beautiful cinematic scores. Especially violins. Would love to see someone be able to combine both :p

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-12-01 14:36:00

At 11/30/13 03:51 PM, Stupor wrote:
At 11/30/13 03:00 PM, Mawnz wrote: If that does not feel right to make, you can bake me a cake!
Does anyone have any good DAW recommendations for baking cakes?

Cakewalk, of course!

Response to Audio Secret Santa 2014 2013-12-01 16:50:16

I'M IN

Even if I barely have enough chance to make anything semi-decent, I'll join this. I want cinematic music, but not the boring generic kind. Give me something that get's the blood flowing, but at the same time doesn't resort to your typical Hans Zimmer music. Go for originality.