00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KaelousPrime just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rogue Challenge

606 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 12:04:34

This was my favourite game as a kid (free download here)

I've recently downloaded it, and despite its obviously primitive nature the game is still incredibly playable due to the entirely random nature of each play through.

So I challenge you NG- download the game from the above link (it's safe, or at least has done no harm to my laptop) and see who can get the best score (post a screenshot of your final grave). Don't be fooled- this game is tough!

I can't get the leaderboard working or I'd show you the scores I've managed thus far.

Hints:

F1 for full list of controls (you will need this often at first!)
'i' for inventory
Be sure to read scrolls (r) /quaff potions (q) regularly
'P' for equip ring (watch out for cursed ones!)
's' for finding hidden entrances (will be needed a lot after a few levels- keep hammering it until the pathway appears).
> to take the staircase to the next level

My best so far is around 1500 gold and level 14, but next decent run I'll post a screen shot.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 12:59:48

My best so far is around 1500 gold and level 14, but next decent run I'll post a screen shot.

Boy, I didn't expect it to take so many attempts to get a decent run together. After a dozen plays dying in the first two levels (due to some bad luck mostly, and a load of hobgoblins) I finally made it to level 11 and a decent amount of gold. I was going strong too until an 'A' (can't remember what they are called) obliterated my armour, and was closely followed by a centaur (C) who killed me in one hit. I had two heal potions in my inventory too. Lame.

Rogue Challenge

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 13:11:32

I'm still trying to figure out Dwarf Fortress. Once I figure that out I might try this out.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 13:13:20

Wait, is that the game where the term originated from? As in rogue-like game? Awesome!
I'll be sure to try it out, although I might suck at it. Thanks for the link!

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 13:23:45

At 10/6/13 01:13 PM, Splats wrote: Wait, is that the game where the term originated from? As in rogue-like game? Awesome!

I believe so. It's certainly the founding father of RPGs, and is based loosely on Dungeons and Dragons. It's now 30 years old, but it is still great fun to play and is the definitive proof that gameplay is more important than graphics.

Patience and persistence is the key- if you start playing fast you just crushed before long. And no matter how well you play the game, sometimes it conspires to kill you. I came across a Xeroc in level 2 on one run through, one of the toughest beasts in the game. Sometimes you also stumble on rooms literally heaving with monsters and get totally swarmed. I've been playing the game over 20 years and still have never got anywhere close to completing all 26 levels (not to mention surviving the 26 levels back to the surface again). But every play through is randomised, so it literally never gets repetitive and boring. You never know what you will find in the next room.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-06 14:34:31

At 10/6/13 01:13 PM, Splats wrote: Wait, is that the game where the term originated from? As in rogue-like game? Awesome!

Yes it is.

I'll try this tomorrow.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-07 05:37:07

At 10/6/13 02:34 PM, Jin wrote:
I'll try this tomorrow.

I found an orc, centaur, quagga and wraith after searching a door. Killed the orc and centaur but the quagga's a lucky bitch which kept dodging my blows so I decided to run while I regenerate. As I was doing so a yeti appears blocking the other side so I drank a healing potion and finished off the yeti, quagga and wraith. With 7 hp left I held the period key to "rest", and lo and behold a troll comes by and hacks me down because I'm skipping my turns trying to rest. Epic fail.

Rogue Challenge

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-13 13:20:39

At 10/7/13 05:37 AM, Jin wrote:
I found an orc, centaur, quagga and wraith after searching a door. Killed the orc and centaur but the quagga's a lucky bitch which kept dodging my blows so I decided to run while I regenerate. As I was doing so a yeti appears blocking the other side so I drank a healing potion and finished off the yeti, quagga and wraith. With 7 hp left I held the period key to "rest", and lo and behold a troll comes by and hacks me down because I'm skipping my turns trying to rest. Epic fail.

That is pretty impressive though- those are enemies I've only come across a handful of times in all the years I've been playing the game.

The game really can be cruel at times- I had a really good run going the other day (level 15, over 2000 gold), but went through 10 levels in a row finding no food at all. Despite being in quite good shape in every other stat, I couldn't fight anything in my food starved state and was quickly obliterated by a centaur.

Out of interest, what did you think of the game? My opinions are heavily biased by nostalgia.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-14 00:49:43

This game is hard and I love that. I can barely last longer than 3 minutes each play through. This game will take some practice to get good at.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-14 01:27:45

But he had not predicted her stubbornness or her beauty. The petite woman with the tenacity of a mule may just find a way into his roguish heart.

Response to Rogue Challenge 2013-10-15 21:06:06

At 10/13/13 01:20 PM, Sentio wrote: Out of interest, what did you think of the game? My opinions are heavily biased by nostalgia.

I like the brief story that's included in the manual, the tombstone is pretty cool, and I like how there are 26 types of creatures denoted by every letter of the alphabet. I like the game, it's fun and I'd recommend it.

Gameplay wise I've played a very similar rogue-like so I didn't have to learn much to get into the game. I thought drinking the blindness potion was too punishing though, it lasts for ages.