00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blozeoff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback on music album cover?

692 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 06:34:16

Hello!

I'm working on a album cover for a music record I'm composing.

The project is called Almagest and the album "The Unusual 88r". It's about Jack, an alien forgotten on this planet that disguises himself as a human and lives a human life, and Alma, the girl he falls in love with.

Any suggestions? Is it clear enough?

ANY feedback will be greatly, greatly appreciated, I really suck at art...

Thanks a lot!

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 08:35:04

Well im not a logo designer but i can tell you that the legibility is poor , i must try really hard to understand what the title says. And a logo is good when it strikes you the moment you see it , you must never struggle to decipher it. I think you should try a more elegant line of letters and change the way the artworks appear inside them. Right now it is overly distracting. The focus should be the logo and not the artwork , it should be complimentary , not spotlighted. Maybe if they were lower in opacity or if they were smaller?

Im not sure , again , im not a logo designer , but i can tell you that it needs a good clean up.

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 08:48:55

If you want to go with the text masking out some illustrations, choose a clearer font and desaturating the image, because as it is now I had no idea what it was supposed to say without looking at your description.

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 09:08:33

I notice a few issues you might want to work out.

The motif inside the text is disrupting the legibility of the text itself. I'd suggest using a more neutral and uniform composition so the text is easier to read. You most likely want to avoid using black in the drawing so you can more easily separate the background from the text. In addition, the black line between "L" and "M" in Almagest is missing, so it's almost impossible to recognize it as "Almagest" unless one knows on beforehand what it's supposed to read.

You should also consider adjusting the leading so it matches either the kerning, or the space left inside some of the characters. You may also want to align the text in straight lines.

As you can see below, it's much more readable once you clear out the insides and put in the line between L and M, and I daresay it works fine on its own without anything inside taking up attention.
If you need anything inside, make sure it doesn't make the text hard to read.

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 10:50:27

Oh wow, was totally not expecting so many replies in such a short period.

Awesome.

I totally understand what you guys are saying and you're right.

To be completely honest, the thing was meant to be a bit GTA3-o-esque ( like in that art style ) and do what The Departed posters did...

(I'll link to some examples since I do not know whether posting images that are not mine breaks the forum
gta3art-example

theDeparted-example)

How could I keep it lean like this

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/14/24791000/ngbbs5221ead1dc35c.jpg

but still retain the figures and some of the intended artwork?

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-08-31 19:59:54

At 8/31/13 10:50 AM, DexiAntoniu wrote: Oh wow, was totally not expecting so many replies in such a short period.

Awesome.

I totally understand what you guys are saying and you're right.

To be completely honest, the thing was meant to be a bit GTA3-o-esque ( like in that art style ) and do what The Departed posters did...

(I'll link to some examples since I do not know whether posting images that are not mine breaks the forum
gta3art-example

theDeparted-example)

How could I keep it lean like this

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/14/24791000/ngbbs5221ead1dc35c.jpg

but still retain the figures and some of the intended artwork?

The Artwork Is Awesome Dude! Basically Make The Art Work a Little Darker So The Font Will Be More Noticeable.
Oh Yeah And When The Tape Your Composing Drop, Link It To Me!

Cade $kylar X Damon Thomas - Hell Of Steez (1997) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHwa MqFEhF8

Feel Free To Criticize! On My Video And Drop A Warm Comment! Thank You!

Response to Feedback on music album cover? 2013-09-04 10:01:06

I've taken all the suggestions in consideration and came up with this.

How does it fare compared to the original?