00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ludum Dare 27

11,585 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 19:05:32

If you made a Flash, HTML5 or Unity 3D game for Ludum Dare 27, you can share it here on NG and get ranked among your NG peers in our Ludum Dare 27 collection!

Go here to set up your game project. If your game is HTML5, the system expects a ZIP file with an index.html in the root. You can preview before publishing and if you see a 403 error it means your index.html was probably in a subfolder in the ZIP (we plan to address this). If your game plays well on touch devices, click the "Edit" link next to your file upload and check off the box for "Touchscreen friendly."

If you developed a game with Unity 3D, we have full Unity support coming soon but in the meantime, you can upload it like an HTML5 game via ZIP file with an index.html for your Unity embed code! For aesthetics, make sure topmagin=0 and leftmargin=0 in your body tag. Also, click the Edit link next to your file upload and check the box for "Requires Unity3D plugin" - this will disable voting and reviews for users who don't have the plugin.

Don't forget to tag your game with "ludumdare27" so I don't miss adding it to the collection!

Update: Also include a tag for "ld27jam" or "ld27compo", so curious people can sort by tags and get more granular.

If you experience any problems with our publishing system, let me know! I look forward to playing your games! Everyone else, feel welcome to post about your favorite entries in this thread, or make note of entries that you'd love to see here on NG!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 19:08:01

Looking forward to see some nice Ludum Dare games ^^

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 19:15:25

Unity support? Dont use it much myself, but that's pretty cool!

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 19:23:45

What's the prize?

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 19:51:48

Tom are you only taking Ludum Dare compo submissions or Ludum Dare jam submissions as well?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 20:37:40

Is it a unique category? I'm making a jam entry and it may be a bit unfair if it competes with the compo things.
Not like being the highest ranked game in the collection here means much though.

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 20:47:14

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 21:34:49

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 21:42:13

At 8/25/13 07:51 PM, J-Rex wrote: Tom are you only taking Ludum Dare compo submissions or Ludum Dare jam submissions as well?

Been debating whether to split them or suggest unique tags. A lot of the participants end up improving their games after the deadline, so over time the lines get more blurred between what work went into what game.

I'll say BOTH types should be submitted, I'll just note some unique tags so we have the ability to sort and rank based on tags too.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 22:03:04

At 8/25/13 07:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone else, feel welcome to post about your favorite entries in this thread, or make note of entries that you'd love to see here on NG!

I am thoroughly enjoying this

and for some reason this

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-25 23:10:50

At 8/25/13 09:42 PM, TomFulp wrote: Been debating whether to split them or suggest unique tags. A lot of the participants end up improving their games after the deadline, so over time the lines get more blurred between what work went into what game.

I'll say BOTH types should be submitted, I'll just note some unique tags so we have the ability to sort and rank based on tags too.

Good idea with the unique tags. The game I'm helping with is made for the jam so I wanted to know.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 04:26:43

At 8/25/13 07:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you made a Flash, HTML5 or Unity 3D game for Ludum Dare 27, you can share it here on NG and get ranked among your NG peers

Yeah, still kinda waiting on the NG Wiki to address what Unity functionality is currently available, as well as a member resource, to explain this new platform to me... sorry to be such an old goat, but I'd like to know the specs from you guys, not their website :\

If you developed a game with Unity 3D, we have full Unity support coming soon but in the meantime, you can upload it like an HTML5

I'm really happy you've got a touchscreen option in publishing, as well as all the other amenities (with plenty more on tap, I'm sure).

Any chance of a way to tell when your Supporter Upgrade expires? I was thinking, maybe expand the fuck out of the "recently purchased" listing....

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 05:00:59

I'm really growing to love Newgrounds (and LD) - you're awesome!

... and thanks for the promo of Jetpack Nemesis :)

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 05:37:07

Hate Ludum Dare, because lot of crappy games on front page from it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 05:42:07

At 8/26/13 05:37 AM, GameBalance wrote: Hate Ludum Dare, because lot of crappy games on front page from it.

They aren't polished, but they're usually a lot more innovative and fresh than the average, allegedly "good", game that usually gets on the front page. I think they're a welcome addition that plants and fosters new game ideas and mechanics.

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 05:57:08

At 8/26/13 04:26 AM, VicariousE wrote: Yeah, still kinda waiting on the NG Wiki to address what Unity functionality is currently available, as well as a member resource, to explain this new platform to me... sorry to be such an old goat, but I'd like to know the specs from you guys, not their website :\

We do need a better installation message to appear when a user doesn't have the plugin. You're curious to know more about Unity in general? We should probably have a little sell sheet about that too when users don't have it installed. Basically, Unity is a game development IDE that is geared towards 3D but also has growing assets to facilitate making 2D games. It is loved for being great to work with and the ability to export to various platforms, including mobile and consoles. It's the way a lot of game developers have moved and more and more web games will be developed with it over time.

Any chance of a way to tell when your Supporter Upgrade expires? I was thinking, maybe expand the fuck out of the "recently purchased" listing....

Should probably add something for making the expiration visible. I'm actually considering ending the sale of physical merchandise in the future, at which point the store button would vanish from the nav and the supporter upgrade would be promoted in some specific spots near ads... The whole idea is part of a simplification of NG and the weight we carry around through the years. Stocking a room full of merchandise and shipping it out every day might ultimately not be in the cards, hard to say right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 06:32:12

At 8/26/13 05:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: Should probably add something for making the expiration visible. I'm actually considering ending the sale of physical merchandise in the future, at which point the store button would vanish from the nav and the supporter upgrade would be promoted in some specific spots near ads... The whole idea is part of a simplification of NG and the weight we carry around through the years. Stocking a room full of merchandise and shipping it out every day might ultimately not be in the cards, hard to say right now.

I guess if you had the right sized NG T-shirts and some new offerings, sales would be better. You might as well keep it open a while longer, to get rid of the stock you already have, or you could go the other way, and get more current gear from Sabtastic, Shadman and the like.

Or you could consolidate the store listings under the nav bar's sub-categories... NG Supporter Upgrade and gear under Community, posters under Art, your games under Games.. I've bought a few comic books and posters by folks who're Art portal regulars. Stocking stuff costs money, maybe just have a picture, description and links to buy? I'd be really bummed out if the Mystery Boxes went away permanently :|

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 06:38:42

At 8/26/13 05:42 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 8/26/13 05:37 AM, GameBalance wrote: Hate Ludum Dare, because lot of crappy games on front page from it.
They aren't polished, but they're usually a lot more innovative and fresh than the average, allegedly "good", game that usually gets on the front page. I think they're a welcome addition that plants and fosters new game ideas and mechanics.

Usually what I saw on NG front page from the Ludum Dare was like "Unique doesn't mean good".

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 09:22:04

Awesome! I look forward to the (hopefully) awesome games!

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 09:50:32

At 8/26/13 05:42 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: They aren't polished, but they're usually a lot more innovative and fresh than the average, allegedly "good", game that usually gets on the front page. I think they're a welcome addition that plants and fosters new game ideas and mechanics.

I like the energy and good intentions of jam games, it's the sort of vibe I want to feel more around NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 11:37:08

i've tried playing games on unity but, unity isn't a very good player for games like battlestar galactica online... to be honest a lot of people say it's the worst over there...

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 12:21:12

Watch there be like 10 submissions over the course of this.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 12:54:54

I was just about to say, "I wish we had that big banner at the top back for when a big-time game comes out", and then there it is. Nice job Tom.

:)

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 13:22:08

At 8/25/13 10:03 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 8/25/13 07:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
and for some reason this
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/624046

For some reason?! There is a unicorn! That's reason enough.

Glad someone likes my game (and posted it here before I knew this topic was happening, I'm always late to the forum parties).

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 13:45:13

At 8/26/13 12:54 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: I was just about to say, "I wish we had that big banner at the top back for when a big-time game comes out", and then there it is. Nice job Tom.

Thank @DeathInk for making it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 13:48:50

At 8/26/13 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/26/13 12:54 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: I was just about to say, "I wish we had that big banner at the top back for when a big-time game comes out", and then there it is. Nice job Tom.

I have missed the "Game/Movie of the Moment" Banners.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 13:50:06

At 8/26/13 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thank @DeathInk for making it!

It looks great until I scroll down a little.

Ludum Dare 27

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 14:01:46

At 8/26/13 01:50 PM, Step wrote:
At 8/26/13 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thank @DeathInk for making it!
It looks great until I scroll down a little.

Yeah gonna fix that NOW.

BBS Signature

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 14:58:46

At 8/26/13 01:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Thanks, @DeathInk.

:)

Response to Ludum Dare 27 2013-08-26 16:50:37

Hey Guys,

I've never used Newgrounds before, but I had also never done a game jam or ever made a game that I've released anywhere! So I figured, why not put it up here too! My game is now up, check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/624156?updated=1

**** I made my game using a nonstandard aspect ratio of 1280x768. I'm also using basic pixel art and scaling is not working well. Some of my thinner 1pixel lines disappear, etc. So I've embedded it at the full 1280 width, which I know breaks out of the newgrounds nicely formatted width, but I'm just going to stick with that for now. Sorry it looks a bit ugly on the page, so just hit the lights icon to dim the newground page and enjoy the game :)

Ludum Dare 27