00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Yamaha Psr E 333

1,366 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 06:00:55

What do you think?
The price is 185 â'¬: worth it?

I already have a MIDI keyboard, but I'd like to have one with voices and without using the computer.
Is it really useful? Will it improve my "skillz"?

Thanks

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 07:29:02

Well, I've been checking out reviews of it and they seem to be all positive. That said, taking a look at it myself, it doesn't seem like anything that special to me. It seems more like something a hobbyist would pick up to self-teach how to play a piano, rather than something a musician would use to make music with when he has a MIDI keyboard already. However this is just at face value; I haven't taken a good look at it yet and I'm not even very knowledgeable in portable keyboards (all I really care about is MIDI support). Yamaha's a great brand and I haven't tried the keyboard myself so for all I know it could be amazing.

Why exactly do you plan on getting it? What features does it have that lured you in when you already have a MIDI keyboard? If you want it for its sounds, I personally think a better idea is to invest in some good VSTs/sound libraries to use your MIDI keyboard with, rather than buying a new keyboard entirely. If you want it to be able to make music with it without needing a computer, then you can go for it I guess, although again, it seems more like something a hobbyist rather than a musician would use for something like that.

This is just my honest opinion though. Someone who's more qualified than me should give you a clearer and more accurate overview, since I'm no expert!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 08:22:18

Hi Step, thanks for the answer!

Basically, I'd like to buy one for various reasons. As I already said, the fact that I must not be connected to PC is one of the most important; there are a lot of voices but as you said I just need the right VSTs etc.

You said it's more for a hobbyist, but music is my hobby, lol. I'd really like to have a portable keyboard and use it to try some chords and melodies with the different sounds. Yes, you can do it with your mouse in PC, but it's another thing (at least I hope, ^^).

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 09:39:43

If you buy a keyboard like that you don't get a lot of sound quality for the price. Software instruments like vst's are the cheapest for what you get. A keyboard can still be useful to practice. You can just start playing away without needing to plug it in. It can help you improve your playing skills, or let you come up with songs faster. It's also nice you have all of the GM and XG voices at once. The standard midi voices. So you know you won't miss out on any commonly used sounds. You can even record your keyboard with your computer (though I think you'd need an audio interface) if you want that clean yamaha sound. You have far less control over the sound than when you use a DAW, but yamaha has a nice warm sound with frequencies over the entire spectrum, so it's quite versatile for EQ and effects. The only problem is you can't get it to sound dirty or organic. If you really go for a keyboard with good sound you should go for PSR 950 or even a Tyros 4. The mega- and super articulation voices sound very good and realistic. But if you have that kind of money to spend, you'd better use it on software.

BBS Signature

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 09:42:56

At 5/17/13 09:39 AM, SourJovis wrote: But if you have that kind of money to spend, you'd better use it on software.

That's what I was thinking.
Also, I was considering this: what do you think if I buy a little portable keyboard? I already have a MIDI one, and that's ok. But what something for 40-50 Euro (60 dollars? no idea) that has the only function of being played? I was going to buy the keyboard for its "portablity"... I'm still deciding, thank you anyway :)

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 09:43:19

get an old psr12 or sonething instead, get that unique old yamaha fm sound!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 10:42:37

Or a yamaha SHS-10 (Sholky)

BBS Signature

Response to Yamaha Psr E 333 2013-05-17 19:56:52

At 5/17/13 10:42 AM, SourJovis wrote: Or a yamaha SHS-10 (Sholky)

dreamy :v

p.s. i am gay