00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

CG art software

602 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

CG art software 2013-05-10 12:05:56

Hi everyone! I'm just asking if anyone knows a good software for drawing? Sorry I don't know anything so can anyone recommend? Thank you! :D

Response to CG art software 2013-05-10 13:12:40

At 5/10/13 12:05 PM, mrpopsie wrote: Hi everyone! I'm just asking if anyone knows a good software for drawing? Sorry I don't know anything so can anyone recommend? Thank you! :D

By drawing i guess you mean the entire work of digital painting

Photoshop is the norm, pixel based art wise. But many people find it not really "efficient" for drawing and painting since it's not really meant for that, it's meant for photo editing. I use it anyways.
Alternatives to photoshop are Easy Paint Toll Sai, which is great both for drawing and painting but lacks the versatility of photoshop. It's a really light program, so that's a plus.
Then you have autodesk's Sketchbook Pro, but i haven't had enough time in it to really tell you it's worth.
All of them require you to purchase a license i'm afraid, so there are other alternatives in the open source format, you can google them and they'll pop up without much effort. The first one that comes to mind is "Gimp". Note that any free program is likely to be "inferior" due to compatibility issues, bugs, and the occasional missing tool or function. But they might surprise you anyways.

About vectorial art, wich is what the "drawing" term is coined into when talking about cgi, you have both Adobe Illustrator and Flash. If you never used vectors these programs might result you not very intuitive, but they have the advantage of not needing a digital tablet to work on them. Drawing in photoshop with mouse is nerve cracking, at least for me, and a needless effort. Again, these are not free and you may search for free alternatives.

In any case, my recommendation is that only go for digital if you already have had good experience in the traditional techniques. Digital art can be a bit overwhelming if you tackle it at zero drawing skills.

Response to CG art software 2013-05-10 17:43:53

At 5/10/13 12:05 PM, mrpopsie wrote: Hi everyone! I'm just asking if anyone knows a good software for drawing? Sorry I don't know anything so can anyone recommend? Thank you! :D

I use Photoshop CS3, which is a very good program.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to CG art software 2013-05-11 01:07:36

List of art programs.

I recommend Art Rage and Photoshop.

Response to CG art software 2013-05-14 10:28:00

At 5/10/13 05:43 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
I use Photoshop CS3, which is a very good program.

Thank you! Well there is a Photoshop Elements 10 installed here in my pc but I don't really touch it. Could it be also a recommendable for drawing?

Response to CG art software 2013-05-14 10:33:17

At 5/11/13 01:07 AM, lovingthedark wrote: List of art programs.

I recommend Art Rage and Photoshop.

Thank you! I'll try those.

Response to CG art software 2013-05-15 13:19:15

At 5/14/13 01:22 PM, Larkatosa wrote:
At 5/14/13 10:28 AM, mrpopsie wrote:
Thank you! Well there is a Photoshop Elements 10 installed here in my pc but I don't really touch it. Could it be also a recommendable for drawing?
Yes, it's a lighter version of Photoshop but is a perfectly fine program.

Thank you again :)