00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games?

1,959 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-11 20:32:14

Are ads only for Flash games? Is there some way to put ads under my game on my page I'm creating for my game?

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-14 12:13:50

At 4/11/13 08:32 PM, farflamex wrote: Are ads only for Flash games? Is there some way to put ads under my game on my page I'm creating for my game?

That's a good question. Same question could be applied to video submissions and html5 movies as well. Tom had mentioned in a news post (some time ago), that some special means would be deployed to compensate for a lack of in-game and in-movie ads.. but I can't see that happening. Tom has considered what you've suggested in the past, but has a set way of looking at the layout of this site.

The real question is, can html5 run a Flash ad? I imagine if you can link to a gif or jpg image, that opens a new browser tab once clicked, then theoretically yes, you can run an ad... but is that something the ad company will support?

Sorry, I don't have any good answers for you, but if you haven't already, Tom's current news post on the upper-left hand side of the Front page, deals directly with html5 content.... ask there, or be patient and wait for a more detailed response here. Other help with html5 can be found in the Developers & Programmers area of the BBS/Community page, though it's still a new programming field, that needs to build a following there.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-14 22:47:13

Thanks for the reply. Clay.io (where my game is hosted) has provided a small API to insert ads into games, but Newgrounds appears to suppress them as they don't appear. It would be nice to be able to plonk an ad under your game window or something, but as you say, may need to be patient :)

At 4/14/13 12:13 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 4/11/13 08:32 PM, farflamex wrote: Are ads only for Flash games? Is there some way to put ads under my game on my page I'm creating for my game?
That's a good question. Same question could be applied to video submissions and html5 movies as well. Tom had mentioned in a news post (some time ago), that some special means would be deployed to compensate for a lack of in-game and in-movie ads.. but I can't see that happening. Tom has considered what you've suggested in the past, but has a set way of looking at the layout of this site.

The real question is, can html5 run a Flash ad? I imagine if you can link to a gif or jpg image, that opens a new browser tab once clicked, then theoretically yes, you can run an ad... but is that something the ad company will support?

Sorry, I don't have any good answers for you, but if you haven't already, Tom's current news post on the upper-left hand side of the Front page, deals directly with html5 content.... ask there, or be patient and wait for a more detailed response here. Other help with html5 can be found in the Developers & Programmers area of the BBS/Community page, though it's still a new programming field, that needs to build a following there.

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-17 00:58:14

At 4/14/13 10:47 PM, farflamex wrote: Thanks for the reply. Clay.io (where my game is hosted) has provided a small API to insert ads into games, but Newgrounds appears to suppress them as they don't appear. It would be nice to be able to plonk an ad under your game window or something, but as you say, may need to be patient :)

No prob. That API you mentioned was released just recently by clay.io. NG has missed opportunities in the past, but they are on job when it comes to html5. PM or email Tom or Wade Fulp about this API. They are very concerned with helping the content producers (such as yourself) in anyway they can.... they really need the traffic here. The ad-bucks they make, pay for Tom Jr's formula, and Stamper's smokes.
Also consider, there's only 4 or 5 people really running NG, while the much younger YT and FB, have hundreds of high-priced guns. This is basically a peer operated/moderated website, with a shit-ton of experience.

At 4/14/13 12:13 PM, VicariousE wrote:

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-17 14:39:47

Thanks, I'll talk to them to see if they can allow the ads here. I think Newgrounds is the best site of this type. Nobody expects huge amounts of cash, but it can fun just to see a few cents rolling in and for the odd game that does do very well, it's only fair that the developer gets some reward. It does push a good 2,000 views, even to a 3-rated game, so I'm guessing 4-rated games, which are within the reach of most developers (a good idea and some hard work) could make a few dollars.

I'll see what Tom and co think about allowing the Clay.io api past :)

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-17 14:41:02

Err, one question, how do I email the NG team? :)

Response to Can I Put Ads In Html5 Games? 2013-04-24 00:25:16

At 4/17/13 02:41 PM, farflamex wrote: Err, one question, how do I email the NG team? :)

Whoops, family emergency! Well, I couldn't find the staff's email addresses on site, so I'm guessing that's for personal business. But please do PM him! http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/staff

I'm going to do my best at Pico Day this Saturday, bringing matters like this into focus. Tom IS high on html5, he just doesn't look here (whereis/howto) - try pestering his News post at the top left of the Front page, if oyu don't feel comfortable PM-ing him, he should respond.... that ad-app is worth serious look!

BBS Signature