00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YendorNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng Food Diary Club

864 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Ng Food Diary Club 2013-04-04 15:15:54

We all eat food. Most of us enjoy this process (some a little too much). This is a place to discuss food in all its waist-stretching glory. You don't have to love food to post here, you just need to eat!

There are a number of ideals behind my creating this club.

1) To discuss the food that we are eating. Does it taste good? Is it healthy (an increasingly important issue in modern society)? Is it worth travelling across the world to sample? (there are a couple of places in Rome I can think of that just might be). This can be cooked yourself, by a family member, or in a restaurant. If it is food then it has a home here.

I don't want to tread on toes here, but the cooking club appears to be long dead. Recipes will of course be welcome here, but this club is not exclusively for those that like to cook at home.

2) For the more dedicated (and brave), to contribute towards a food diary of the meals that we are eating. Healthy eating is constantly in the news these days, and many people keep track of the food and calories that they eat in a day with a food diary. Noting down the things we eat is a great way to identify things that are in abundance in our diet, or in contrast missing altogether. For example I realised that I ate a lot of fish (4 or 5 times a week), and this can be unhealthy depending on the source.

Simply post what you have eaten (and so long as the post isn't getting too long, you could quote the last entry that you added so we can see a progression)

You don't have to post every day, though it works best with regular contribution, and you don't have to reveal every last thing you've had in a 24 hour period (some things we simply don't want to know about), but I think it would be great to see what a 'regular' person eats over a period of time, and especially in different parts of thr world.

3) Any other discussion that relates to food. Dieting. Restaurants. Food stories in the news (Such as the horse meat scandal recently). You get the idea.

Club rules:

1) Regular BBS rules. No need to request to join, simply start and stop posting whenever you feel you can add to discussion.

2) Keep it on topic, and rather than being critical of others eating habits, give constructive ideas on what they could try instead. This is not a place to prance about calling everyone fat just because they eat.

To mods- I've had a pretty thorough check of the C&C for similar topics, with only the cooking club coming up (both through key word searches and looking back over threads with posts in the last year). As I've stated above, this does encompass some of the cooking club ideas, but that club has been dead for nearly a year, and this brings a lot more to the table. I also feel this is a topic that can produce unending conversation (and is one that often pops up in general), and the club has been designed to make regular contribution as easy as possible. Fingers crossed it doesn't sink straight into oblivion now...

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Food Diary Club 2013-04-04 15:26:19

And as I've spoken of food diaries, I'll be brave and post my food over the last 24 hours (current time is 8:15PM, so there may be a few snacks to come, but nothing significant).

I had a banana for breakfast, then a ham sandwich for lunch. A light day as I've been busy working and I tend to eat less when I'm occupied.

My main meal this evening was home cooked by yours truly, a szechuan chicken stir fry:

(Recipe for two)

Part 1:
Three peppers sliced into strips.
One red onion sliced into strips.
Chicken breast- diced (precook if raw). Any meat would do, but I only had chicken available. Beef is probably best.

Throw all three into a wok, add ginger and garlic (I use pastes that come in a jar, usually a tablespoon of each), and fry until the vegetables are to your liking.

Part 2 (Sauce):

Three teaspoons of corn flour (with three table spoons of water)
Two teaspoons of sugar
half a tea spoon of chilli powder
Six table spoons of tomato puree
Three table spoons of red wine vinegar
Six teaspoons of soy sauce

Mix it all together in a bowl until you get a thick red paste. Then throw it in with the veg- it only needs to be heated, not cooked, so only a minute or so in the wok is plenty.

Serve on a bed of noodles.

Rest assured I don't always cook, and I don't always have food this healthy, but I do tend to rustle this recipe up once every couple of weeks as its quick and tastes amazing.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Food Diary Club 2013-04-04 15:32:16

Last sunday me and my family ate at Ihop and omg I never know why i forget how good their pancakes are!!! I got strawberry ones with whipped cream and banana slices :3 ohh and hashbrowns with ketchup on the side and some bacon strips.

Like its not even a breakfast meal for me i will eat pancakes at midnight if i can ^.^

The Ng Food Diary Club

Response to The Ng Food Diary Club 2013-04-17 21:35:16

I made stir fried rice for the family.

rice
tomato
broccoli
green beans
onion
carrots
egg
Trader Joe's soy sauce (I swear this is the best soy sauce ever.)

Next time I might use green onion and edamame instead of green beans. Green beans didn't mesh well with the other veggies. Overall delish.

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Food Diary Club 2013-04-27 06:13:23

I had South Asian lentils called "Dahl" with a type of flatbread called chapati.

Also, I'm drinking coffee right now :)

P.S. Jalapeno flavored kettle chips are pretty damn good! Especially the fritos ones! I want some!! Can you guys buy me some? :)

Response to The Ng Food Diary Club 2016-05-17 22:10:25

I started using Fitbit recently to track my calories and my steps. I've discovered through this that having a sedentary job, and sedentary hobbies (playing video games, reading books, watching movies) has led to it being hard for me to meet my step goal for the day. I've also found that I'm more apt to eat junk food in the evening, when I'm home engaging in my video game hobby in the evening.

I use the Fitbit app & Fitbit scale to track all of my progress, but I've also used the loseit and the myfitnesspal app.

BBS Signature