Be a Supporter!

Is it remixing or stealing?

  • 814 Views
  • 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:26:13 Reply

Yeah, I just made a looped version of Remisser's "A Disaffect Youth" and contemplated whether or not I should upload it to the audio portal for the convenience of others who wanted a looped version of that song and to draw new attention to Remisser but I began to wonder or not if that could be or worse would be considered stealing his work and trying to leech off of him. I'm not sure what really defines remixing a track, all I know is that it involves editing the track to some degree to change it and if creating a loop from a full length song could be considered a remix or not.

tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:27:41 Reply

how much is it changed... are we talking about one off key note at the end of the song and slap your name on it.. or are we talking a full crafted mix and the original song overlap n stuff


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:29:53 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:27 PM, tox wrote: how much is it changed... are we talking about one off key note at the end of the song and slap your name on it.. or are we talking a full crafted mix and the original song overlap n stuff

The point of making it a loop was that nothing has changed except for that the lyrics were omitted, it's one of his select few non-looped songs. No keys have been changed.

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:30:23 Reply

Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:30:59 Reply

then yes, that would be steeling..


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:34:07 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, tox wrote: then yes, that would be steeling..

Okay, so how do I spread the loop public without it constituting theft? The dumping grounds doesn't accept audio files.

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:37:38 Reply

Make a news post letting the public know that, due to popular demand, you have created a loop of this loop and are willing to email it to all of the many people who desperately want to get their hands on this piece of musical history. Tell them to simply post their email address in a comment and then send the file to each of the hundreds and hundreds of requests you will undoubtedly receive.

YOU'RE WELCOME


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:37:51 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:34 PM, Psychopath wrote:
At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, tox wrote: then yes, that would be steeling..
Okay, so how do I spread the loop public without it constituting theft? The dumping grounds doesn't accept audio files.

put it out into the audio portal, and simply reference the original maker to be _______ and that credit goes to you for these such and such things


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:40:23 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, Tremulos wrote: Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.

My colleague and I intend to use the looped version for a Flash movie, it's aimed to satire mall goths and we don't want the lyrics drowning out the dialog but we want the music to be audible, hence the loop.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:40:41 Reply

If I were to judge I'd say it at least has to either be a cover or be a completely different song that possibly samples.
Though if you contributed to less than 75% of the song than don't.
It's like those guys who get stuff from DeviantArt and post it in the art portal.
The portals are for original content.

By which I mean video game parodies.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:42:53 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:40 PM, Psychopath wrote:
At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, Tremulos wrote: Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.
My colleague and I intend to use the looped version for a Flash movie, it's aimed to satire mall goths and we don't want the lyrics drowning out the dialog but we want the music to be audible, hence the loop.

I see, so you want to upload it as a resource. No need, just link people to the original and they can make their own loop. The Audio Portal isn't really meant for that sort of thing, it's meant for original creations.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:52:10 Reply

If you remake the song yourself and make it sound different then it's perfectly fine. If you remix it you should either make sure the song creator allows such things from open commence etc. first.

Either way, if remixing make sure to change it enough to really make it a proper remix.

As for the way you spread the remix, never make it cost anything, as it isn't yours to sell. Remixing it and providing it for free however is perfectly fine unless the creator specifically says he or she doesn't want people to do such things.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:53:18 Reply

What? People can't just set it to loop in whatever program they use?

Why don't you just contact the author instead of wondering?

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:57:37 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:37 PM, Ma1achi wrote: you're a faggot with no talent so it would be stealing yes

You'd know a lot about being a faggot wouldn't you? You're obviously doing this as "payback" after all.

In the professional world this is what we call "butthurt".
Spiderwebbie
Spiderwebbie
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 20:02:30 Reply

Do you have artist permission.


BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 20:07:06 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:37 PM, Ma1achi wrote: you're a faggot with no talent so it would be stealing yes

You can't steal ideas; stealing deprives the original owner of possession.

Is it remixing or stealing?


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 20:24:12 Reply

At 2/16/13 08:07 PM, ohbombuh wrote: stealing deprives the original owner of possession.

Lol that's not true.

If you don't pay for a service after receiving it then you're stealing.

People only say things like this because they want to feel all intellectual about piracy when really they just want piracy to be legal because their mommy won't pay for their copy of Terraria.

ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 22:59:15 Reply

At 2/16/13 08:24 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/16/13 08:07 PM, ohbombuh wrote: stealing deprives the original owner of possession.
Lol that's not true.

Whoa, master of debate up in here.

If you don't pay for a service after receiving it then you're stealing.

Services and ideas are not the same thing. If you're just paying for the service of making copies of a movie, then it would make sense for you to be able to perform the same action yourself with readily available technology and save a buck.

I highly doubt any barber ever objected to people giving their family and friends haircuts, certainly not by claiming he owned the style.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Member since: Jun. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 23:25:29 Reply

ridin music

i see u ridin 2 it


ok

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 00:13:13 Reply

The licensing terms state:

Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

So, as long as you post it to the AP with an identical license, don't get any ad-revenue for it and give credit to the original author, it is OK!

With regular music that wouldn't be legal though.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 02:10:49 Reply

At 2/16/13 10:59 PM, ohbombuh wrote: Services and ideas are not the same thing.

Movies and songs are not ideas.

If you're just paying for the service of making copies of a movie

You're not, you're paying the artists and the actors that put a lot of money and effort into making the movies.

then it would make sense for you to be able to perform the same action yourself with readily available technology and save a buck.

Artist makes song.
Artist makes money by selling copies of the song.
How can artist make money if you don't pay for song.

I highly doubt any barber ever objected to people giving their family and friends haircuts

The people still "made" the haircut themselves. They didn't copy the barber's haircut byte for byte.

certainly not by claiming he owned the style.

That would be akin to claiming to own an entire genre, not the songs that you yourself made.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 02:27:48 Reply

At 2/16/13 08:02 PM, Spiderwebbie wrote: Do you have artist permission.

He has the NG AP CC license.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:08:41 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:53 PM, Entice wrote: What? People can't just set it to loop in whatever program they use?

You don't get it, a regular song has a definitive beginning and end, loops do not because they're meant to go over and over again seamlessly and never break consistency to give the illusion of never ending, it's done to make games more in-depth and as a background score you can stretch out to endless lengths in movies.

Why don't you just contact the author instead of wondering?

Have you looked at Remisser's activity at all? He hasn't been on since 2004. I somehow doubt he'd reply.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:45:15 Reply

At 2/17/13 08:08 AM, Psychopath wrote: Have you looked at Remisser's activity at all? He hasn't been on since 2004. I somehow doubt he'd reply.

You could always give it a try. I've sent PMs to a few old users I didn't expect a reply from, and what do you know, they were alive and lurking! :O As for the legalness of your looping, you have the law on your side, just abide by the submission license and it should be OK. Did you read my previous post?

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:46:25 Reply

If you literally just loop the same song I'd definitely consider it to be stealing.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 09:36:32 Reply

At 2/17/13 08:45 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
You could always give it a try. I've sent PMs to a few old users I didn't expect a reply from, and what do you know, they were alive and lurking! :O As for the legalness of your looping, you have the law on your side, just abide by the submission license and it should be OK. Did you read my previous post?

I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 09:43:26 Reply

At 2/17/13 09:36 AM, Psychopath wrote: I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.

I meant that post where I wrote (slightly modified now) ...

The licensing terms state:

Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

So, as long as you post it to the AP with an identical license, don't get any ad-revenue for it and give credit to the original author, it is OK!

With regular music (outside the AP) that wouldn't be legal though.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:10:41 Reply

At 2/17/13 09:43 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/17/13 09:36 AM, Psychopath wrote: I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.
I meant that post where I wrote (slightly modified now) ...

The licensing terms state:

Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

So, as long as you post it to the AP with an identical license, don't get any ad-revenue for it and give credit to the original author, it is OK!

When you say "no ad-revenue" does that also include ad API in the Flash movie it'll be featured in? The Flash movie we're making is intended to generate revenue, although I guess I could just remedy the issue by crediting the original song and give him a percentage split through the song itself to assure he gets a cut.

BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:38:08 Reply

So many butts. So much hurt.


Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:48:32 Reply

At 2/17/13 10:10 AM, Psychopath wrote: When you say "no ad-revenue" does that also include ad API in the Flash movie it'll be featured in? The Flash movie we're making is intended to generate revenue, although I guess I could just remedy the issue by crediting the original song and give him a percentage split through the song itself to assure he gets a cut.

I guess it does, and it seems like you found a workaround already! :) If you link to both entries and just credit his that should work well.