00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is it remixing or stealing?

2,280 Views | 29 Replies

Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:26:13

Yeah, I just made a looped version of Remisser's "A Disaffect Youth" and contemplated whether or not I should upload it to the audio portal for the convenience of others who wanted a looped version of that song and to draw new attention to Remisser but I began to wonder or not if that could be or worse would be considered stealing his work and trying to leech off of him. I'm not sure what really defines remixing a track, all I know is that it involves editing the track to some degree to change it and if creating a loop from a full length song could be considered a remix or not.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:27:41

how much is it changed... are we talking about one off key note at the end of the song and slap your name on it.. or are we talking a full crafted mix and the original song overlap n stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:29:53

At 2/16/13 07:27 PM, tox wrote: how much is it changed... are we talking about one off key note at the end of the song and slap your name on it.. or are we talking a full crafted mix and the original song overlap n stuff

The point of making it a loop was that nothing has changed except for that the lyrics were omitted, it's one of his select few non-looped songs. No keys have been changed.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:30:23

Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:30:59

then yes, that would be steeling..

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:34:07

At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, tox wrote: then yes, that would be steeling..

Okay, so how do I spread the loop public without it constituting theft? The dumping grounds doesn't accept audio files.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:37:38

Make a news post letting the public know that, due to popular demand, you have created a loop of this loop and are willing to email it to all of the many people who desperately want to get their hands on this piece of musical history. Tell them to simply post their email address in a comment and then send the file to each of the hundreds and hundreds of requests you will undoubtedly receive.

YOU'RE WELCOME

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:37:51

At 2/16/13 07:34 PM, Psychopath wrote:
At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, tox wrote: then yes, that would be steeling..
Okay, so how do I spread the loop public without it constituting theft? The dumping grounds doesn't accept audio files.

put it out into the audio portal, and simply reference the original maker to be _______ and that credit goes to you for these such and such things

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:40:23

At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, Tremulos wrote: Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.

My colleague and I intend to use the looped version for a Flash movie, it's aimed to satire mall goths and we don't want the lyrics drowning out the dialog but we want the music to be audible, hence the loop.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:42:53

At 2/16/13 07:40 PM, Psychopath wrote:
At 2/16/13 07:30 PM, Tremulos wrote: Why anyone would want to play this on loop is beyond me, but if all you did was make it loop better, that's definitely not remixing. Don't upload anything you didn't actually make yourself.
My colleague and I intend to use the looped version for a Flash movie, it's aimed to satire mall goths and we don't want the lyrics drowning out the dialog but we want the music to be audible, hence the loop.

I see, so you want to upload it as a resource. No need, just link people to the original and they can make their own loop. The Audio Portal isn't really meant for that sort of thing, it's meant for original creations.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:52:10

If you remake the song yourself and make it sound different then it's perfectly fine. If you remix it you should either make sure the song creator allows such things from open commence etc. first.

Either way, if remixing make sure to change it enough to really make it a proper remix.

As for the way you spread the remix, never make it cost anything, as it isn't yours to sell. Remixing it and providing it for free however is perfectly fine unless the creator specifically says he or she doesn't want people to do such things.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 19:57:37

At 2/16/13 07:37 PM, Ma1achi wrote: you're a faggot with no talent so it would be stealing yes

You'd know a lot about being a faggot wouldn't you? You're obviously doing this as "payback" after all.

In the professional world this is what we call "butthurt".

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 20:02:30

Do you have artist permission.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 20:07:06

At 2/16/13 07:37 PM, Ma1achi wrote: you're a faggot with no talent so it would be stealing yes

You can't steal ideas; stealing deprives the original owner of possession.

Is it remixing or stealing?

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-16 22:59:15

At 2/16/13 08:24 PM, Entice wrote:
At 2/16/13 08:07 PM, ohbombuh wrote: stealing deprives the original owner of possession.
Lol that's not true.

Whoa, master of debate up in here.

If you don't pay for a service after receiving it then you're stealing.

Services and ideas are not the same thing. If you're just paying for the service of making copies of a movie, then it would make sense for you to be able to perform the same action yourself with readily available technology and save a buck.

I highly doubt any barber ever objected to people giving their family and friends haircuts, certainly not by claiming he owned the style.

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 00:13:13

The licensing terms state:

Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.
Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

So, as long as you post it to the AP with an identical license, don't get any ad-revenue for it and give credit to the original author, it is OK!

With regular music that wouldn't be legal though.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 02:27:48

At 2/16/13 08:02 PM, Spiderwebbie wrote: Do you have artist permission.

He has the NG AP CC license.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:08:41

At 2/16/13 07:53 PM, Entice wrote: What? People can't just set it to loop in whatever program they use?

You don't get it, a regular song has a definitive beginning and end, loops do not because they're meant to go over and over again seamlessly and never break consistency to give the illusion of never ending, it's done to make games more in-depth and as a background score you can stretch out to endless lengths in movies.

Why don't you just contact the author instead of wondering?

Have you looked at Remisser's activity at all? He hasn't been on since 2004. I somehow doubt he'd reply.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:45:15

At 2/17/13 08:08 AM, Psychopath wrote: Have you looked at Remisser's activity at all? He hasn't been on since 2004. I somehow doubt he'd reply.

You could always give it a try. I've sent PMs to a few old users I didn't expect a reply from, and what do you know, they were alive and lurking! :O As for the legalness of your looping, you have the law on your side, just abide by the submission license and it should be OK. Did you read my previous post?

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 08:46:25

If you literally just loop the same song I'd definitely consider it to be stealing.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 09:36:32

At 2/17/13 08:45 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
You could always give it a try. I've sent PMs to a few old users I didn't expect a reply from, and what do you know, they were alive and lurking! :O As for the legalness of your looping, you have the law on your side, just abide by the submission license and it should be OK. Did you read my previous post?

I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 09:43:26

At 2/17/13 09:36 AM, Psychopath wrote: I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.

I meant that post where I wrote (slightly modified now) ...

Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

So, as long as you post it to the AP with an identical license, don't get any ad-revenue for it and give credit to the original author, it is OK!

With regular music (outside the AP) that wouldn't be legal though.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:10:41

At 2/17/13 09:43 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/17/13 09:36 AM, Psychopath wrote: I did but the reply I wrote was aimed at Entice.
I meant that post where I wrote (slightly modified now) ...

When you say "no ad-revenue" does that also include ad API in the Flash movie it'll be featured in? The Flash movie we're making is intended to generate revenue, although I guess I could just remedy the issue by crediting the original song and give him a percentage split through the song itself to assure he gets a cut.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:48:32

At 2/17/13 10:10 AM, Psychopath wrote: When you say "no ad-revenue" does that also include ad API in the Flash movie it'll be featured in? The Flash movie we're making is intended to generate revenue, although I guess I could just remedy the issue by crediting the original song and give him a percentage split through the song itself to assure he gets a cut.

I guess it does, and it seems like you found a workaround already! :) If you link to both entries and just credit his that should work well.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 10:57:07

Give credit, and that's it..

Nothing to worry after that..

(Generic signature goes here)

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 11:11:08

At 2/17/13 10:48 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
I guess it does, and it seems like you found a workaround already! :) If you link to both entries and just credit his that should work well.

It's up.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 11:33:26

At 2/17/13 11:11 AM, Psychopath wrote: It's up.

Hey, some free advertising too. :) Sounds good.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 12:27:59

At 2/17/13 02:10 AM, Entice wrote:
At 2/16/13 10:59 PM, ohbombuh wrote: Services and ideas are not the same thing.
Movies and songs are not ideas.

That's how they're legally treated. If I filmed a live-action version of Brave and started making money off it without permission, I'd eventually get the FBI at my door, even if I heavily rewrote the script.

If you're just paying for the service of making copies of a movie
You're not, you're paying the artists and the actors that put a lot of money and effort into making the movies.

No, I'm paying the studio, which paid the artists and actors at some point. Unfortunately, copyrights last about 70 years past the creators' death. I don't know much about the music industry, but I can confidently say that the majority of movies that don't turn a profit at the box office are unable to redeem themselves with video rentals.

then it would make sense for you to be able to perform the same action yourself with readily available technology and save a buck.
Artist makes song.
Artist makes money by selling copies of the song.
How can artist make money if you don't pay for song.

By not charging 20 bucks for something a kid can do for free.

I highly doubt any barber ever objected to people giving their family and friends haircuts
The people still "made" the haircut themselves. They didn't copy the barber's haircut byte for byte.

So, just having an inferior copying process makes it legal?

certainly not by claiming he owned the style.
That would be akin to claiming to own an entire genre, not the songs that you yourself made.

Musicians have sued each other for using a few of the same chords, when the defendants just had cryptomnesia.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 12:42:39

He's uploaded it ot the newgrounds portal, so it's CC now. Doesn't sound like he has any copyrighted material in the song, so you're free to remix / alter the song to your like, as long as you give him a credit in the author credits.
The way you shoudl do THAT specficially is through the project membership. List him as "composer" or something of the like.

This way the song will show up on both your profile AND his profile.

Hopefully this helps.

Response to Is it remixing or stealing? 2013-02-17 12:46:51

At 2/17/13 12:42 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: The way you should do THAT specifically is through the project membership. List him as "composer" or something of the like.

Oh I did that shit, it's just a matter of whether or not he's around to accept the invite.