00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Traditionalists?

800 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Traditionalists? 2013-02-16 16:35:17

I was curious where the majority of folks here sit on the sides of traditional art verses newer methods.

I've always worked in a bunch of different medias whether it be traditional drawing and coloring or 3D CGI stuff or after effects or make up effects or stop motion. To me, so long as the thing you're working with is your property and not stolen work, I've never understood why some people take issue with an artist who employs a variety of different methods to arrive at a specific result.

There are quite a few comic book artists who take photos of models and then manipulate those photos, and I've personally never been taken out of a story or anything because they've utilized that method. Same way that I'm not drawn out of a film because the filmmaker did not build the building that's sitting in the background of a scene. They got a permit to shoot in that specific location, so the right to display those buildings as an aspect of their own artwork means that, for the purposes of that film, they "own" the building's image.

In this day and age is there still a lot of snobbery in the arts world? Or have people mostly accepted that different people create art in different ways and that whether or not you're a great pencilist or painter doesn't really dictate what or who you are as an artist?

Response to Traditionalists? 2013-02-16 18:17:26

A good example of newer methods

FZD

Response to Traditionalists? 2013-02-16 18:20:32

At 2/16/13 04:35 PM, BCRice wrote: There are quite a few comic book artists who take photos of models and then manipulate those photos.

Really? I've never seen this before. Do you have a link to a comic that uses this technique? I am curious to see what it might look like.

BBS Signature

Response to Traditionalists? 2013-02-16 18:36:27

At 2/16/13 06:20 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 2/16/13 04:35 PM, BCRice wrote: There are quite a few comic book artists who take photos of models and then manipulate those photos.
Really? I've never seen this before. Do you have a link to a comic that uses this technique? I am curious to see what it might look like.

Alex Maleev, Greg Land and David Mack are probably the most famous comic artists working today that employ this method. Though there's probably only a handful of professional comic artists that don't (at the very least) use cityscapes and automobiles, planes, etc in their digital artwork.

Over on the indie scene there's scores more. Some comics, like Night Zerodon't even make an attempt to alter the actors like Maleev or Mack do. They largely allow the photography to stand on its own.

Response to Traditionalists? 2013-02-17 02:20:16

For me Technology should be considered just as another tool, any method is valid, and not everyone is good at all the tools, I come from a very traditionalist school in where the old techniques are well seen but the newer ones are treated differently, which in my opinion shouldn't be like that.

BBS Signature