00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

1,288 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 15:46:43

Hi all --

I started with Flash about a year or so ago. After the first month I put together this little prequel vid for a series I'd written. It's a bit rudimentary, but since it's a prequel, it sorta works that it's not too pretty.

"Push to Start"

I'm hoping to have the series and all the associated bits going by this Summer. We'll see. Been a long year of learning and trial and error. I actually drew and scrapped and started the models from scratch three times. And being that there are 13 characters, turned out to be a lot of work!

I though I'd start a little on-going WIP thread here for anyone who's interested. Thanks!

Attached is the primary EST shot.

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 15:58:02

Damage pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:06:37

Damage "toon style" pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:08:32

Grithrumlief pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:33:03

Maca pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:34:45

Psylo pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:36:51

Sgt Baumstien pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 16:41:34

Redeye pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 17:06:41

Magnolia pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-14 17:08:12

Supreme Beings pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-15 00:55:43

I like your designs. Although that animation had pretty weak well...animations going on. Felt more like watching an loosely animated story board, I would suggest you emphasize moment in the characters and their actions.

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-15 12:11:53

At 2/15/13 12:55 AM, 372 wrote: I like your designs. Although that animation had pretty weak well...animations going on. Felt more like watching an loosely animated story board, I would suggest you emphasize moment in the characters and their actions.

Yeah, like I said, that was the pretty much the first ever animation I did when I first learned Flash. But I felt it was enough to at least convey, like you said, moving storyboards.

The actual series that I've been working on is full on animation. Really excited to get the first episode up here on Newgrounds. For some reason I wasn't able to upload this original prequel because of size constraints. That might be something I need to figure out sooner than later since the first episode is longer than the original animation. It must be some issue with the export. It's just the normal H.264 format I use every place else on the web. Not sure why Newgrounds specifically took issue.

But anyway, yeah -- the actual series is lightyears better (I think). I'm also working concurrently on the comic book and another web series that's a parody of some animated characters, which I'm going to try and premiere the same day as Outstanding Pajamas. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-15 13:36:49

How many of these are traced?

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-15 19:19:16

At 2/15/13 01:36 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: How many of these are traced?

The comic style images are largely CGI. I use a bunch of different render filters and then tinker around to clean things up. I mostly do PS stuff, though the line work happens in the actual programs except where I need a specific effect. It's efficient and leaves me more time for the animation stuff. :)

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-15 19:41:06

At 2/15/13 07:19 PM, BCRice wrote:
At 2/15/13 01:36 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: How many of these are traced?
The comic style images are largely CGI. I use a bunch of different render filters and then tinker around to clean things up. I mostly do PS stuff, though the line work happens in the actual programs except where I need a specific effect. It's efficient and leaves me more time for the animation stuff. :)

^ Not sure if that answered your question. lol I guess...none are traced? Unless you count what the computer does?

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-16 01:27:02

At 2/15/13 07:41 PM, BCRice wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:19 PM, BCRice wrote: The comic style images are largely CGI. I use a bunch of different render filters and then tinker around to clean things up. I mostly do PS stuff, though the line work happens in the actual programs except where I need a specific effect. It's efficient and leaves me more time for the animation stuff. :)
^ Not sure if that answered your question. lol I guess...none are traced? Unless you count what the computer does?

CGI meaning what? Rotoscoped?
I'm just asking because there are some big jumps in quality between some images.

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-16 09:28:06

At 2/16/13 01:27 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:41 PM, BCRice wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:19 PM, BCRice wrote: The comic style images are largely CGI. I use a bunch of different render filters and then tinker around to clean things up. I mostly do PS stuff, though the line work happens in the actual programs except where I need a specific effect. It's efficient and leaves me more time for the animation stuff. :)
CGI meaning what? Rotoscoped?
I'm just asking because there are some big jumps in quality between some images.

Oh, gotchya.

So there are differences between some of the images. For instance, the animation style stuff is free hand. The rest of the comic book style images are 3D model characters using different toon renderings, and then the backgrounds are typically either painted free hand, 3D CGI renders with various toon filters, or 3D CGI renders with paints.

I do a lot of little things to the 3D characters like adding reflections and stuff, but mostly they're built, morphed and then rendered in-program. It doesn't make for a perfect final product, but for someone without a lot of traditional pencil skill, it does a pretty good job. I'm always working at being a better artist, even if that style of art is a mishmash of different disciplines.

There *is* though one rotoscope item which is the little signature pic -- but that's actually a still from a rotoscope video of a friend acting as Damage. It's sort of a surrealist dream sequence thing. I'm about 50% done with it, but it's not really taking precedence right now against the other stuff. And since it's 12fps FBF, it's pretty labor intensive.

With all the different means we have to create things nowadays it can be pretty overwhelming, that's why I'm trying to just keep my focus on the short term goals which is the Flash series and the web comic stuff I'm working on. But I do plan on keeping on working towards the rotoscope, live action and CGI shorts as well.

Hopefully that answered your question. The *least* manipulated 3D renders would be the wizard and military guy pics, while the most altered would be Maca and The Supreme Beings (and consequently, the Supreme Beings pic is nearest to what I'm doing for the web comic). And you bring up a great point about when using CGI -- you really have to come to a specific style and palette for everything to mesh well. Right now all of these images could not exist in the same page together. It's been sort of an ongoing WIP over the last couple years. :)

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-16 11:22:37

At 2/16/13 09:28 AM, BCRice wrote: Right now all of these images could not exist in the same page together. It's been sort of an ongoing WIP over the last couple years. :)

Okay, so for most of these images, they are made from a pre-made human model, and you just edit them as needed?

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-16 12:26:37

At 2/16/13 11:22 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/16/13 09:28 AM, BCRice wrote: Right now all of these images could not exist in the same page together. It's been sort of an ongoing WIP over the last couple years. :)
Okay, so for most of these images, they are made from a pre-made human model, and you just edit them as needed?

Right. The way 3D models work, is that each character is modeled and then render filters are applied depending on what sort of final image you're looking for. For animated models you usually start with a set skeleton and muscle maps and then model from there. Some people go for more realistic style 3D images, but I decided to spend my efforts working towards a more traditional comic book style. Some people do employ a more traditional CGI render style for their comics, though, and they do work IMO. This one here uses more traditional rendering filters: Dreamland Chronicles

But there's a million different ways you can go nowadays. Which I think is just awesome for the medium. Here's even a live action photomanip comic that works IMO: Night Zero

I think we're still in a transitional period where people aren't 100% accepting of comics that aren't pencil-only. Animated films went through the same growing pains early on. But I think with time people will start to see 3D comics and even Photo comics as being something acceptable in the genre. But for now, I personally think it's best to stay as close to traditional comic book art as is possible for the widest range of reader acceptance.

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-16 12:56:19

Here's a bit of the rotoscope vid WIP:

Damage Dream WIP

This was my very first go at lip sync when I opened Flash. I've since changed the character designs pretty dramatically:

First lip sync test

And although this is probably the back end of the back burner project associated, this is one of the shots from the (traditional) CGI Outstanding Pajamas short film:

CGI short

Like I said, though, my main focus right now is the Flash series and the comic.

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-17 12:43:04

Crimson Menace pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-17 19:34:50

Rougemaj pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-17 19:59:49

At 2/17/13 07:34 PM, BCRice wrote: Rougemaj pic

Those are some great costume designs on the Supreme Beings image up near the top. I like that wizard image too (the first one), except for that lens flare, it is digital art taboo! The only thing that bothers me about the 3D rotoscoping is that it makes your characters and environments look lifeless and shadows are non existent or very off. To help with fixing the lifelessness, aside from working more with body language, I would add variety with thick and thin lines (the lines don't feel like part of the art, but like they are just there for convenience) and add atmosphere to those backgrounds.

On that last image, I like the expression. It seems like you put a lot more effort into the characterization than you did with the others. Neat ideas, keep working it!

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-17 20:13:21

At 2/17/13 07:59 PM, gayhobbit wrote:
At 2/17/13 07:34 PM, BCRice wrote: Rougemaj pic
Those are some great costume designs on the Supreme Beings image up near the top. I like that wizard image too (the first one), except for that lens flare, it is digital art taboo! The only thing that bothers me about the 3D rotoscoping is that it makes your characters and environments look lifeless and shadows are non existent or very off. To help with fixing the lifelessness, aside from working more with body language, I would add variety with thick and thin lines (the lines don't feel like part of the art, but like they are just there for convenience) and add atmosphere to those backgrounds.

On that last image, I like the expression. It seems like you put a lot more effort into the characterization than you did with the others. Neat ideas, keep working it!

Thanks! Yeah, I really like using 3D models because it just saves a ton of time and things stay consistent which leaves me more time to focus on the writing. But it's important that I infuse the characters with the appropriate body language and emotion. The color palette overall I'm trying to keep two-tone and very flat, ala Watchmen. I've been working a lot of different ways to improve the line weights, but it's still a work in progress.

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-19 19:41:40

Reflux pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip

Response to Outstanding Pajamas Wip 2013-02-20 19:42:15

Tantrum pic

Outstanding Pajamas Wip