00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wetrinas just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How did mlp get bronies?

1,696 Views | 16 Replies

How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:40:31

I am not saying its a bad show in fact I kinda understand its popularity but what made these bronies start to exist?

How did mlp get bronies?

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:41:23

the devil

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:42:06

At 2/9/13 11:40 PM, nyancat23 wrote: I am not saying its a bad show in fact I kinda understand its popularity but what made these bronies start to exist?

It just happened.

End of story.

"Having known you're a grade A jackass, i'll still give you my money."-Sifraudmis (friend)

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:42:15

Because people want to be different, to stray from the norm ; the sole reason why hipsters exist.

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:43:52

Well the "original" bronies were joking around but other idiots took it seriously and bronies started.
Stupid show btw
Come at me bro.

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:44:23

Trixie desired more admirers.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:47:17

Autism.

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-09 23:48:12

Because everyone who likes MLP is fucked up.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

Who walks away from a spider attack?

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 00:43:03

At 2/9/13 11:40 PM, nyancat23 wrote: I am not saying its a bad show in fact I kinda understand its popularity but what made these bronies start to exist?

I will never understand why grown men would watch MLP.
Fuckin' Magnets, how do they work?

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 00:56:25

I honestly dont know. And I don't think its possible for me to care less about it anymore.
Let em do their own thing and in a few years it'll die out like every "fad" does.

Also the only bronies that bug me are the ones that feel they NEED to shove it down your throat that they're a brony. Anyone else that watches and doesn't feel they have to let everyone know they watch it at all times is fine with me.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 00:57:37

Looking at the show itself, its popularity has no right to exist. I say this because my sister use to watch it and thus I have caught several scenes and had a taste of its humor, some of its characters and general plot. And by my analysis, I have come to the conclusion that is a mediocre children's show with very little humor, complexity or depth that simply reiterates what stands as good morals for children such as sharing, being yourself and helping others, etc.

In other words, it's exactly what it looks like from the outside. It's characters are cliche and 2-D (as in character complexity), the plot, if any, is very simple with a light and dark, good and evil theme in which, of course, good always always prevails, the dialogue and humor is geared towards children with zero of its content being aimed at older age groups and very dry. It's extremely cringe worthy and at best, just bland as they come. I can see, at most, a 20 year old women looking at this as a blast from her past and watch a couple episodes in the same way us guys might re-watch Bob the Builder or Sonic episodes.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 01:15:21

As for why grown men might watch it? Well, it started off as a meme, evolved to a fad and for some, a very sad obsession. As I've stated, there's no real reason what so ever to enjoy this show, but they probably clung to it looking to stick out because being an individual is simply too damn hard, thus they identify themselves with something unorthodox, it's sad really. And after all the hate that the group garnered, it no longer really became about being apart of a fad as it did defending their interest from "haters" because doing that makes them stick out even more. You see? It's all about the magnificent circle jerk of self identification. I don't think there is a single damn "Brony" out there that actually sits down and enjoys this show targeted for small girls, because no one has that bad of a taste in shows. My sister felt embarrassed watching it after awhile, and she's 13, what the fuck does that tell you?

But I look at Bronies the way I look at gays, the one's that keep it to themselves, fine, do whatever, I don't really care at all, but don't come shoving it in my face like I have to know what you like to do or watch or whatever almost as a blatant protest to the majority of people disapproving of what you do. Take your damn "pride" and shove it up your ass because I, and most people, don't want any and it comes off as obnoxious as fuck. We know you're desperate for some form of identity but why can't you go Emo or something normal like that shit?

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 01:29:05

Autistic nerds attempting to gain a sense of belonging something by adapting to a culture so exclusive and ridiculous in origin that they can accomplish said sense of belonging while also alienating themselves from reality.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 01:54:21

In my honest opinion, I blame Powerpuff Girls.

As boys, we watched the hell out of Cartoon Cartoons. Latched onto Gennedy Tartkovsky's work with stuff like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls...I remember there was a quiet, hesitant guilty pleasure among us in middle school, to admit that we were fans of the show...but when we all pretty much discovered, "Oh you like PPG too! Alright! MOJO JOJO, LOLOLOL" and we realize, though it appears to cater exclusively to girls, its totally fine for boys to like it too.

That an entertainment is not segregated to any particular sex. If it's good, it's good. If you like it, then awesome!

The show is adorable. It's really cute, and it's very, VERY, FRIGHTENINGLY EASY to get attached to multiple characters of the show. Every morbid, sexually charged, violently sewn layer of sense of humor built up upon the internet / gaming pop culture, and compounded by shows we grew to love through high school and college...all of it melts away in the bright, happy, colorful universe of ponies. No sane man thinks too long about underlying dangers within the lore of the show...no sexual deviants, no gory, Happy Tree Friends / Retarded Animal Babies crap...it's just pure joy. And that's a kind of a nice change of pace.

It got Bronies because its a flavor of entertainment that piques their particular interest. You go to "Always Sunny in Philidelphia" for a certain flavor of humor and cringe comedy, you go to the Colbert Report for a certain kind of blend of news and hilarity. You can go to Drawn Together for Racism and Homo jokes, or you can go to South Park for a "Tell it like it is" absurd crude-comedy...

I watch Transformers Prime because it's the darkest, most enjoyable animated Transformers series I've ever seen...and on the other side of that coin, I watch MLP:FiM because it's bright, colorful, cute and happy. I like how it looks, I like the emotions it provokes. If I had a daughter, I would absolutely buy the set of DVD's and save them for her when she gets old enough to appreciate them...I'll keep them right next to the 90's "Batman: The Animated Series."

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 02:32:14

At 2/10/13 01:54 AM, Phobotech wrote: In my honest opinion, I blame Powerpuff Girls.

I watch Transformers Prime because it's the darkest, most enjoyable animated Transformers series I've ever seen...and on the other side of that coin, I watch MLP:FiM because it's bright, colorful, cute and happy. I like how it looks, I like the emotions it provokes. If I had a daughter, I would absolutely buy the set of DVD's and save them for her when she gets old enough to appreciate them...I'll keep them right next to the 90's "Batman: The Animated Series."

Honestly that's the only way I think one might want to see this show "because it's bright, colorful, cute and happy." And I suppose that appeals to some inner child in us that clings to such basic things. I myself, still wouldn't, I don't care for those things, frankly if I wanted those things I would watch the Teletubbies. They were bright, colorful, cute and happy as well. Why don't we have a huge fanbase for them? Because there's less plot? In that case don't watch MLP, watch Adventure Time, or any other new CN or Nick cartoons at least you might laugh at those, they have some content for older audiences.

Now Powerpuff girls had action and shit for boys, which was its saving grace, Powerpuff Girls was never a meant to lean to a girls only demographic, it had action and monsters, which appealed to boys, such as me when I was a lad. Which is what makes it different from MLP, not to mention the Mayor's Assistant, eh? Am I right? Yeah I'm right. Now MLP is straight up Hardcore Girl's demographic, it has nothing for boys or older audiences. I would have never watched that show as a kid, not on your life.

BBS Signature

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 02:39:31

At 2/10/13 02:34 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: i made a graph detailing the causality of 'brony fandom' as it correlates with being a cancerous autistic pimple on the butthole of society

why

Response to How did mlp get bronies? 2013-02-10 02:46:15

At 2/9/13 11:41 PM, Natick wrote: You can find out here.

^^

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature