00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-08 19:02:44

Hi, I am working on a new Game, and I would like to get some feedback while developing it.
Ideally would like a couple of hundred players to play each version.

This no longer works: http://www.newgrounds.com/ngmag/alphas/

Not sure what to do, as nothing seems to have replaced this feature.
Would it be against the rules if I posted a new version every few weeks?
Anyone got a better idea??

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 02:29:05

At 2/8/13 07:02 PM, whitershores wrote: Would it be against the rules if I posted a new version every few weeks?
Anyone got a better idea??

As long as you make noticeable improvements in each new version it wouldn't be against the rules, though I'm not sure how much feedback you'd get for each submission. You could always post at the forums asking for testers, or post a newspost or PM users with a request. On the project page there should be the option to give certain people access to the file (you set the access restrictions) while you work on it. Or you could make it accessible to everyone. It's not an ideal replacement for the old alpha section, but right now I don't think there is anything better.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 05:56:56

Go to the project page and create a misc project. Misc projects aren't published to Newgrounds, so it's good for beta testing to a limited number of people.

If you want anybody to be able to play it then submit it to the dump and anybody that has the link will be able to access it.

At 2/8/13 07:02 PM, whitershores wrote: Would it be against the rules if I posted a new version every few weeks?

Yeah, that is against the rules.

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 06:44:53

At 2/9/13 02:29 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: As long as you make noticeable improvements in each new version it wouldn't be against the rules,
At 2/9/13 05:56 AM, Jolly wrote: Yeah, that is against the rules.

Sooo, is it Against or is it NOT against the rules?:)

At 2/9/13 05:56 AM, Jolly wrote: If you want anybody to be able to play it then submit it to the dump and anybody that has the link will be able to access it.

OK, so if I take this option, then how will people find out about my game? ( The point of submitting to NG would be to get players, and not just to host it as I can do that myself)

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 07:12:33

At 2/9/13 06:44 AM, whitershores wrote: Sooo, is it Against or is it NOT against the rules?:)

According to this page:

- Your submission must not be a pointless "demo" or "preview" without any redeeming qualities.

- Do not re-submit your entry after it has been BLAMMED without making noticeable improvements.

So, as I interpret it, if the submission has redeeming qualities and is noticeably improved between each release than it does follow the guidelines. @Jolly am I missing something?

At 2/9/13 05:56 AM, Jolly wrote:
OK, so if I take this option, then how will people find out about my game? ( The point of submitting to NG would be to get players, and not just to host it as I can do that myself)

News posts or forum posts would do that job. A lot of people would probably be interested in beta testing the game if it looks promising.

BBS Signature

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 09:39:22

At 2/9/13 07:12 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/9/13 06:44 AM, whitershores wrote: Sooo, is it Against or is it NOT against the rules?:)
According to this page:

- Your submission must not be a pointless "demo" or "preview" without any redeeming qualities.

- Do not re-submit your entry after it has been BLAMMED without making noticeable improvements.

So, as I interpret it, if the submission has redeeming qualities and is noticeably improved between each release than it does follow the guidelines. @Jolly am I missing something?

It's the same submission but with added content, and the same thing shouldn't be submitted multiple times. Either update the first submission or don't submit something that's unfinished. We have the the dumping grounds and misc projects, so there isn't much point doing that anyway.

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 11:20:43

The guidelines could use some clarification. :/

BBS Signature

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 12:09:48

At 2/9/13 11:48 AM, deckheadtottie wrote:
At 2/9/13 11:20 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: The guidelines could use some clarification. :/
Say if OP ended up with 25 versions, each of which have minor improvements to them, you would honestly recommend uploading 25 versions to the Portal?

I'm just saying that the rules don't clearly state you're not allowed to fine-tune a submission and keep submitting it, as long as it has 'redeeming qualities' and, if blammed, 'noticeable improvements'. Might be something to add to the guidelines!

25 revisions is a bit extreme, but wouldn't an alpha, beat and a final version be OK?

BBS Signature

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-09 19:04:50

I do actually plan to release Weekly/Fortnightly builds, with gradual improvements to see how players react to the changes, as I think it would be much easier to create a game that players enjoy with real user feedback than without, which would be a win-win situation for everyone. (the game itself will be a complex MMO so its not a stick run which wouldn't require that much feedback )

The problem of submitting it to the portal once as an early alpha and updating that submission is that nobody will go back to see it, which would defeat the purpose of submitting it to NG at all, as the whole point would be to get new testers for each new version.

I suppose adding it to the dumping grounds with free access, and creating a new topic for each new version in the forums seems the only legit option for now.

It would be great if the NG Alphas would be resurrected!

Response to NewGrounds Alphas?? 2013-02-10 02:50:53

At 2/9/13 07:04 PM, whitershores wrote: I suppose adding it to the dumping grounds with free access, and creating a new topic for each new version in the forums seems the only legit option for now.

Better start one thread for the game, and post new updates in that one instead of creating new threads for each update, the mods probably wouldn't appreciate a surplus.

It would be great if the NG Alphas would be resurrected!

Definitely. :)

BBS Signature