00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VultusElectricFox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

.swf file is too big?

1,024 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

.swf file is too big? 2013-01-31 16:27:30

I want to upload a game I made, but the .swf file is 33 MB--and NG only allows up to 20 MB. Is there any way I can make my file smaller? :( [It was created in Multimedia Fusion 2.]

Also, when I did try to upload it, it said "this does not appear to be a valid .swf file." Does that usually happen when a file is too big? Or is there something wrong with the file?

I'd really appreciate some help!

Response to .swf file is too big? 2013-01-31 16:43:39

You could load the main swf file into the one you upload to NG, and host the core file externally somewhere that allows direct linking (like a webhost).

To reduce filesize... If you haven't done so already you could compress any included audio. If you have a lot of imported graphics such as photos or background art you could also compress those before importing them. Another tip would be to break apart text so the file doesn't need to embed fonts, though that probably won't cut down the size much for such a big file.

Hope that helps.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to .swf file is too big? 2013-01-31 16:46:09

At 1/31/13 04:43 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: You could load the main swf file into the one you upload to NG, and host the core file externally somewhere that allows direct linking (like a webhost).

What do you mean? (I'm not that good with computers...)

Response to .swf file is too big? 2013-01-31 17:24:28

At 1/31/13 04:46 PM, PinkamenaDiane wrote: What do you mean? (I'm not that good with computers...)

I'm no expert myself, but if you Google 'load external swf into swf' there are plenty of tutorials available. Here's one. They all use a loader class to embed an external file within the first frame. You could try entering this code in 'actions' for the first keyframe of a new swf file:

var loader: Loader = new Loader();
loader.load( new URLRequest("mySwf.swf") );
addChild(loader);

Then upload the 33mb file somewhere and change mySwf.swf to the URL where the big file is located, for example http://site.com/mySwf.swf. You'll need someplace to host the file though, there are plenty of free hosts but not all allow direct linking or have a big enough file limit. You could use a service like Google Drive and use a service like this to generate a direct link. I don't know how the program you use works though, it might be different from regular Flash.

If this sounds too complex then compressing your content would probably be a better option. Or, if it's possible, just split the file. If it's a long animation, make it a two-part animation. Hope this helps! :)

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature