00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I don't know why people think spong

3,614 Views | 29 Replies

bob is bad

new in particular

I watched some lately and thought they were funny, the only really things that bother me about the newer portions of the series, is how ugly some of the newer characters are like the monsters in the Chum Caverns episode, some hate-spirited episodes that aren't funny like The Thing, Boating Boadies, and a pal for Gary. and that face Spongebob makes when he's talking in some episodes.

You know the one; this: http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/That_Face_1141.
jpg

So, why do people complain about Spongebob, it's still funny and a good show for kids.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:02:51

I find the newer plots lame, and the link to whatever face he makes wasn't working, so I'm going to assume it's that face where he seems to close his cheeks over the corners of his mouth, which pisses me off whenever I see it, and is usually accompanied by a really annoying song that you know means the episode is going to be stupid.

I also hate the flanderization of characters. Spongebob goes from lovable but kindhearted idiot who bugs his neighbor Squidward in a good way (if that makes sense) to a creepy stalker who spies on Squidward and even changed the inside of his house into an exact replica of Squidward's once. Patrick goes from a lovable idiot to an imbecile who ruins just about everything he touches and whom natural selection should've weeded out by now. Sandy goes from Texan athlete braniac to Texan stereotype know-it-all. Krabs goes from savvy, if penny-pinching, businessman to a coldhearted Scrooge who gets away with whatever scam he ever runs. Pearl goes from loud, annoying spoiled brat to an even louder, more annoying spoiled brat. Squidward goes from self-proclaimed artist who wants his neighbors to quit bugging him to being roped into just about everything Spongebob does and is punished for it. Plankton goes from ambitious, conniving supergenius to an ambitious, conniving idiot who relies on his pain-in-the-ass computer-wife to make his plans. Karen (Plankton's computer-wife, as every later episode will remind you when she appears) goes from stationary, slightly sarcastic computer to mobile, annoying, nagging wife stereotype.

Lastly, the undercurrent where Spongebob is gay for Squidward weirds me out. Normally, I have no problem with people being gay, but Spongebob could be a lot less creepy about it.

That, my friend, is why I hate the newer episodes of Spongebob.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:06:51

The new ones are lame and obnoxious. There's a good joke here and there, but nothing compared to before the movie.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:08:14

now i'm feeling bad because i never watched sponge bob :S

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:24:48

ice i was talking about this face

it usually smaller than this but its the basis for it

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:27:49

At 1/26/13 01:06 AM, jjjkuk wrote: The new ones are lame and obnoxious. There's a good joke here and there, but nothing compared to before the movie.

Uhh, who put you on the planet?

probably the only redeemable moment from the new ones.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:31:10

At 1/26/13 01:24 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: ice i was talking about this face

That is the face I'm thinking about. I don't know why, but that face makes me so mad I could put my foot through the television. It's the cheek thing that bothers me the most, especially when he makes that face and there's no reason his cheeks should be doing that. Take the viking episode for example, when Spongebob was on the catapult and had a serious face, but he still scrunched his cheeks like that. It really burns me up.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:39:29

At 1/26/13 01:31 AM, icecreammac wrote:
At 1/26/13 01:24 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: ice i was talking about this face

That is the face I'm thinking about. I don't know why, but that face makes me so mad I could put my foot through the television. It's the cheek thing that bothers me the most, especially when he makes that face and there's no reason his cheeks should be doing that. Take the viking episode for example, when Spongebob was on the catapult and had a serious face, but he still scrunched his cheeks like that. It really burns me up.

They did on it the other characters too, I think, even though it's not noticeable. It really irked me with that emotionless face.

I've checked out some of the recent ones like that mini golfing episode, where they completely wreck Squirdward's house by playing a game of mini-golf in it. among a few other episodes. I also didn't notice the face as much, but then again I rarely watch the new Spongebob episodes anymore.

It's actually a good addition for when Spongebob smiles, but for some reason they make him have it when he's not smiling, and it makes him look like he's a sarcastic asshole.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:50:30

At 1/26/13 01:39 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: I've checked out some of the recent ones like that mini golfing episode, where they completely wreck Squirdward's house by playing a game of mini-golf in it. among a few other episodes. I also didn't notice the face as much, but then again I rarely watch the new Spongebob episodes anymore.

It's actually a good addition for when Spongebob smiles, but for some reason they make him have it when he's not smiling, and it makes him look like he's a sarcastic asshole.

I also hardly ever watch Spongebob anymore. I think I fell out of the series around season 7, and refuse (petty as it sounds) to watch any more newer episodes. Also, while the cheek thing does normally make a good addition for when he's smiling, they sometimes seem to exaggerate his cheeks so they're big compared with the rest of his mouth. I just wish that he'd stop with the cheek thing.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:53:36

They changed all of the writers for spongebob somewhere after the where's gary episode. It was originaly supposed to end there but Viacom likes milking money from kids.
The only reedeemable character from the new spongebob episodes is Tom Smith

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 01:55:19

At 1/26/13 01:53 AM, koopahermit wrote: They changed all of the writers for spongebob somewhere after the where's gary episode. It was originaly supposed to end there but Viacom likes milking money from kids.
The only reedeemable character from the new spongebob episodes is Tom Smith

Love that guy, especially in the chocolate episode.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 02:02:10

At 1/26/13 01:50 AM, icecreammac wrote:
At 1/26/13 01:39 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: I've checked out some of the recent ones like that mini golfing episode, where they completely wreck Squirdward's house by playing a game of mini-golf in it. among a few other episodes. I also didn't notice the face as much, but then again I rarely watch the new Spongebob episodes anymore.

I also hardly ever watch Spongebob anymore. I think I fell out of the series around season 7, and refuse (petty as it sounds) to watch any more newer episodes. Also, while the cheek thing does normally make a good addition for when he's smiling, they sometimes seem to exaggerate his cheeks so they're big compared with the rest of his mouth. I just wish that he'd stop with the cheek thing.

I think they stopped it with season 8/9 or maybe at least toned it down, because admittedly, that face irked me so much it was one of the main things that pushed me out of the series along with the completely mean spirited episodes like The Thing and A Pal For Gary, (It wasn't mean spirited that much, but it was just Spongebob acting so stupid and I can't remember but I think he used that face multiple times.) After I saw that episode, I pretty much gave up on the series because I didn't want to see the characters get raped any more. (These mean spirited episodes like The Thing appeared when I wasi n their demographics, I was like, probably 10 or so when they aired it 8 years ago. )

It's also ironic to mention that a guy named Aaron Springer, who was an original crew member of Spongebob, and wrote, directed and animated some of the great episodes from the early season (the time machine one) and did said things with some of the better episodes of the new seasons (20,000 Patties Under The Sea) but ironically came up with that really pissy design change, which is what I read from a thread about the cheeks on TV.com

also, the main reason I made this thread is because I saw some episodes that gave me a few chuckles lately that were new, like Pet or Pets, which is ironically one of the most hated ones for some reason.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 02:21:18

At 1/26/13 02:02 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: I think they stopped it with season 8/9 or maybe at least toned it down

It's also ironic to mention that a guy named Aaron Springer, who was an original crew member of Spongebob, and wrote, directed and animated some of the great episodes from the early season (the time machine one) and did said things with some of the better episodes of the new seasons (20,000 Patties Under The Sea) but ironically came up with that really pissy design change, which is what I read from a thread about the cheeks on TV.com

also, the main reason I made this thread is because I saw some episodes that gave me a few chuckles lately that were new, like Pet or Pets, which is ironically one of the most hated ones for some reason.

I hope they toned it down in later seasons; I admit it's crazy that Springer would make that change which had no purpose whatsoever. I still don't think I'll go back to it, because there's one last thing I forgot to mention about the newer episodes: they're gross. I'm talking about such times as Spongebob getting a spike of wood driven into his thumb and also when Squidward gets his toenail (which only existed for the sake of the "joke") ripped out via a couch being dragged over it. Those episodes are absolutely disgusting and are another reason why I stopped watching.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 02:29:33

and also when Squidward gets his toenail

I actually think those scenes are funny, and they don't even do it that often in the newer episodes lol.

Plus, I've heard the "gross-out" humor was worse in shows like Invader Zim (don't remember it) and Ren & Stimpy ( DOn't recall ever watching it) and if that's true, I don't see what's wrong for Spongebob doing it every once in a while.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 02:36:37

I actually have a theory on why it exists

Aaron wanted to make Spongebob look happier or something, so he decided to make that dimple change for his "happy" faces, but the animators accidentally drawed it in his frowns and emotionless states, because you know, storyboard aritists, are only told to draw by the people who make these changes, and by the time the directors and peopel noticed the pissy design, they couldn't change it because Nick pretty much completely relies on Spongebob, and couldn't give them more time.

I honestly can't think of why they would like to make a change like that, especially an old writer, it's not his character to look like a pompus ass and it's bad writing.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 02:49:05

At 1/26/13 02:29 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
I actually think those scenes are funny, and they don't even do it that often in the newer episodes lol.

Plus, I've heard the "gross-out" humor was worse in shows like Invader Zim (don't remember it) and Ren & Stimpy ( DOn't recall ever watching it) and if that's true, I don't see what's wrong for Spongebob doing it every once in a while.

I've seen Invader Zim (which is indeed very dark) but not Ren & Stimpy. The problem I see is that where Invader Zim and Ren & Stimpy could logically be seen as intended for older children (if not teenagers), Spongebob is often seen as intended for very young children. I'm glad they don't do it as much; like I said, I stopped watching some time ago, so I wouldn't know. Still, though, it was shocking to see it in such a normally light-hearted show. I don't know, I was just disgusted by those things.

As for your theory on the cheek thing, I agree that it's a good theory, and would certainly explain why they even kept it on faces that don't make sense. It's definitely the best theory I've heard so far.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 03:01:21

At 1/26/13 02:49 AM, icecreammac wrote:
At 1/26/13 02:29 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote:

I've seen Invader Zim (which is indeed very dark) but not Ren & Stimpy. The problem I see is that where Invader Zim and Ren & Stimpy could logically be seen as intended for older children (if not teenagers), Spongebob is often seen as intended for very young children. I'm glad they don't do it as much; like I said, I stopped watching some time ago, so I wouldn't know. Still, though, it was shocking to see it in such a normally light-hearted show. I don't know, I was just disgusted by those things.

As for your theory on the cheek thing, I agree that it's a good theory, and would certainly explain why they even kept it on faces that don't make sense. It's definitely the best theory I've heard so far.

pppppsh, don't give me that, older Spongebob always slipped in adult humor like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

"there are 13 bad words you should never use."

"don't you mean 7?"

"not if you're a sailor arg arg arg"

It was and still is just as "mature" as those other shows, just to a lesser and more blantaly obvious degree, like with the gross out humor, and I'm sure they still occasionally slip a real "adult" joke pass the radar time to time for the adults who are forced to watch it with their kids/younger siblings, but I don't really know because I rarely watch TV let alone Spongebob now, even though I've been trying to get back into it, they also don't air the newer episodes (2nd half of season 4+) that much except for on weekends. So I can't really get the chance to judge them that much.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 03:18:15

At 1/26/13 03:01 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: It was and still is just as "mature" as those other shows, just to a lesser and more blantaly obvious degree, like with the gross out humor, and I'm sure they still occasionally slip a real "adult" joke pass the radar time to time for the adults who are forced to watch it with their kids/younger siblings.

I know about the more mature jokes thrown in cartoons for the older viewers, and I'm okay with those. I like being able to watch past episodes of a cartoon and laugh at jokes I missed because I was too young. However, there's a subtlety that adds to the beauty of the humor. I just can't look at something like someone getting a toenail ripped out and think that it was just "slipped in" for the adults; it's way too up front, and isn't even funny to boot.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 03:20:43

I just can't look at something like someone getting a toenail ripped out and think that it was just "slipped in" for the adults; it's way too up front,

:( you just aren't firmly grasping it.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 03:25:54

At 1/26/13 03:20 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
I just can't look at something like someone getting a toenail ripped out and think that it was just "slipped in" for the adults; it's way too up front,
( you just aren't firmly grasping it.

Clever. Still, though, I see the subtlety in that joke. A child will see that and think, "Hah, Patrick is telling Squidward to grab the net, but he can't because his hand is bandaged! Hah!" An adult will see that and think, "Hah, Patick is telling Squidward to 'firmly grasp' the handle, like masturbation or a handjob." The joke is still subtle: Patrick isn't saying to Squidward, "Firmly grasp it in your hand, like a penis."

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 03:57:09

i was looking around and some peopel are saying season 8 and season 9 are comeback seasons

maybe i will check it out One Of These Days

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 04:18:44

Good news, ice! apparently, the guy who made that gross out humor you disliked in the show doesn't work for the show anymore, and his lastt work was for designs of faces in Face Freeze of season 9, or at least so I've heard.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 11:19:02

At 1/26/13 04:18 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Good news, ice! apparently, the guy who made that gross out humor you disliked in the show doesn't work for the show anymore, and his lastt work was for designs of faces in Face Freeze of season 9, or at least so I've heard.

That is good news! Maybe I'll go back to watching it. Now if only they'll work on the character development (or lack thereof).

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 12:22:15

I actually watched a Spongebob episode today, a new one..

Honestly, it was actually preety good.

http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/spongebob-squarepants-
160-patricks-staycation-walking-the-plankton-cart-b.html

Patrick tries to get away from it all by having spongebob help him with a vacation at their houses, but everything goes wrong.

filler text

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 14:10:24

It's mostly because the writer was originally going to end the series after the third season with the movie being the finale. Then again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The creator of Dragonball Z wanted to end it twice with Freiza and Cell as the final villians and that went pretty well. Maybe I just sort of grew out of it, or I saw better cartoons like MLPFIM and Phineas And Ferb. I just don't think it's well paced anymore.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 14:12:04

I haven't watched Spoungbob in years.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 14:19:09

At 1/26/13 01:02 AM, icecreammac wrote: Karen (Plankton's computer-wife, as every later episode will remind you when she appears) goes from stationary, slightly sarcastic computer to mobile, annoying, nagging wife stereotype.

This is why I never take the time to explain why I hate it.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-26 19:49:47

Can I just weigh in and say: the Splinter episode is the worst goddamn thing related to Spongebob.

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-27 14:59:41

You mentioned TVTropes in the main page, and that same website has some reasons why it's become less popular. If you notice around the third season, the characters have really gotten dumber and meaner, something known as Flanderization. Patrick in the first season actually appeared to be fairly smart, but gets dumber with every episode.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to I don't know why people think spong 2013-01-27 15:26:20

Can I just weigh in and say: the Splinter episode is the worst goddamn thing related to Spongebob.

season 6 episode, we're into season 9 now, practically almost two different eras.

You mentioned TVTropes in the main page, and that same website has some reasons why it's become less popular. If you notice around the third season, the characters have really gotten dumber and meaner, something known as Flanderization. Patrick in the first season actually appeared to be fairly smart, but gets dumber with every episode.

You're right, that face I mentioned was a season 6 thing, again two different eras.

also Patrick has always acted dumb, I don't think it matters as long as the episode is funny like the season 8 episode A Friendly Game, the episodes have really rised in quality lately, I haven't checked out all of Season 8/9 yet. but from what I've seen the quality has been going up, with the exception of a handful of episodes in seasons 8/9

filler text