00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AcekillerX67 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MissLace's Art Thread

4,021 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MissLace's Art Thread 2013-01-18 17:08:45

Hello there everybody. I'm here to post my art, and get some feedback!

For this specific work of mine I know I need to work on perspective. The thing is I don't really know where to start, especially when it comes to people. I have a little more know how on doing perspective for buildings and simple shapes than I do for people, but there are still mistakes. Of course if there are things you wish to mention that aren't perspective based go ahead!

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-01-18 17:38:21

At 1/18/13 05:08 PM, MissLace wrote: For this specific work of mine I know I need to work on perspective. The thing is I don't really know where to start, especially when it comes to people.

Welcome to the forum :D

The best thing to do when practicing perspective is to find a reference. Fortunately, there are many references for people online. There is nudity in some of these links, so be warned with regards to your environment.
http://www.posemaniacs.com/
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

http://lovecastle.org/draw/
http://www.posespace.com/

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-01-18 20:04:56

Thank you for those links! I'm sure I'll get plenty of use from them :)

Here is another piece that hasn't gotten any reviews and would really like peoples input on:

Better Version

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-02 13:15:23

Since the Art Portal wasn't working I thought I would put my a link to my newest image Althea

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-02 23:54:44

I think your work would be stronger if you were to get rid of the black lines- to me it looks like they're there because they were black in your sketch and you never bothered to change the color. You clearly don't need them to indicate form (you do modeling quite well), so why keep them?

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-03 13:15:30

I understand what you're saying. I used to use more colored lines, and I found I liked the bold the black lines looked against how colorful my subjects were. I also tried without any lines at all and sadly the face suffered greatly for it. Noses mouths, and eyes are difficult for me without those lines.

So are you saying I should Use colored lines,or get rid of lines completely?

Here is something I did a while ago with colored lines and no lines. Again this was a while ago, so maybe I should try these styles again.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 00:03:16

Here's some sketches and things I will probably never finish..

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 00:07:34

I Don't know what happened to the last one xD

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 00:08:48

Veronika

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 00:09:51

Flowers!! Nerine (bottom), Lycoris (top)

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 01:35:28

At 2/6/13 12:07 AM, MissLace wrote: I Don't know what happened to the last one xD

Lovely. And to belatedly answer your question, I personally believe that no lines makes for the most successful pieces.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-06 17:33:14

Thank you for your input! Maybe I'll try experimenting with that.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-07 13:15:55

At 2/6/13 12:09 AM, MissLace wrote: Flowers!! Nerine (bottom), Lycoris (top)

Nice,
I have a youtube tutorial online on something similar to this.
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckI3e4Es81M

Keep doing what you do

BMINUS - Vancouver - Graffiti in motion

"Keep on creating"

Quick Youtube tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArm P_X1J5o

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-09 13:04:20

At 2/7/13 01:15 PM, brian604 wrote:
At 2/6/13 12:09 AM, MissLace wrote: Flowers!! Nerine (bottom), Lycoris (top)
Nice,
I have a youtube tutorial online on something similar to this.
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckI3e4Es81M

Keep doing what you do

Thank you! I like the video, and design.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-17 03:40:11

Here's something I'm currently working on. It's a sketch I made for a future painting. This will be my first large piece with a traditional medium so I would really like some criticism on this sketch before I transfer it over onto a canvas. Also I'm not too sure yet on what to do for the background. Thanks!

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-17 05:35:29

At 2/17/13 03:40 AM, MissLace wrote: Here's something I'm currently working on. It's a sketch I made for a future painting. This will be my first large piece with a traditional medium so I would really like some criticism on this sketch before I transfer it over onto a canvas. Also I'm not too sure yet on what to do for the background. Thanks!

interesting sketch, i really like it. umm lets see.. The forearm seems to be a bit short on the right-hand figure (or maybe the upper-arm is too long?). On the left figure, the placement of the belly button suggests a slight rotation of the torso, but too much of the left leg is hidden, suggesting that the rotation is more pronounced. Also, i think the tire hanging from the tree is slightly unnecessary - it doesn't go with the vibe i'm getting from the rest of the picture, but i might be wrong here.. These are just some very minor details that you might want to fix. Overall i think it's a great sketch and i'm looking forward to seeing the final piece. How large is it going to be?

nope, no sig.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-17 20:07:02

interesting sketch, i really like it. umm lets see.. The forearm seems to be a bit short on the right-hand figure (or maybe the upper-arm is too long?). On the left figure, the placement of the belly button suggests a slight rotation of the torso, but too much of the left leg is hidden, suggesting that the rotation is more pronounced. Also, i think the tire hanging from the tree is slightly unnecessary - it doesn't go with the vibe i'm getting from the rest of the picture, but i might be wrong here.. These are just some very minor details that you might want to fix. Overall i think it's a great sketch and i'm looking forward to seeing the final piece. How large is it going to be?

Thank you so much. I think your words were very helpful. I changed up the sketch a bit in photoshop. I changed both the right and left figures arms, more so for the right figure. As well as changed the bellybutton position and leg of the left figure. Also I took out the tire swing to see how it looked. The reasoning i had put it there was because I felt the tree was overpowering the image, and I wanted a balance between nature and things that are man-made, and will most likely keep it in the final version.

Also I have 12x16 canvas paper with me, but I believe I should probably get stretched canvas, or something of higher quality, but sadly I'm not nearby any art stores.

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-18 17:22:25

Sorry for uploading so much of the same picture, but I thought I needed to make a larger change to the image. I drew over in blue this time, so it was easier to identify the differences. I also added a sketch of the right figures legs. (It won;t be included in the final piece, but I thought it would give a better idea of how her body was rotated.

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-18 17:41:01

Nice drawings. I love this <3
Keep it up :3

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-18 22:56:20

At 2/18/13 05:41 PM, AStekolnikov wrote: Nice drawings. I love this <3
Keep it up :3

Thanks ^w^

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-19 00:52:19

At 1/18/13 05:08 PM, MissLace wrote: Hello there everybody. I'm here to post my art, and get some feedback!

For this specific work of mine I know I need to work on perspective. The thing is I don't really know where to start, especially when it comes to people. I have a little more know how on doing perspective for buildings and simple shapes than I do for people, but there are still mistakes. Of course if there are things you wish to mention that aren't perspective based go ahead!

perspective do not as difficult simply
1) need a horizon where it will place the background
2) a vanishing point
3) strip all the lines you earn, connect with the vanishing point

another newborn fetus

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-19 00:53:21

btw i like the monotone sketches

another newborn fetus

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-02-19 02:11:53

At 2/19/13 12:52 AM, MAKOMEGA wrote: perspective do not as difficult simply
1) need a horizon where it will place the background
2) a vanishing point
3) strip all the lines you earn, connect with the vanishing point

Thanks so much for your input, I'll try it next time I want to use perspective.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-03 16:15:54

Here are some practice portraits I have been doing. They took about 2-3 hours.

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-03 16:19:01

Another portrait of a Daughter and her Father.

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-03 16:21:31

And another portrait. Some of these are older. They are quick practice type dealies.

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-08 15:19:54

Hey I'm working on another piece that has perspective. I want peoples opinion on the sketch! Please give your opinions :)

MissLace's Art Thread

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-08 15:40:23

At 3/3/13 04:21 PM, MissLace wrote: And another portrait. Some of these are older. They are quick practice type dealies.

This one of the girl in the hoodie jumps out to me as being obviously the most successful drawing! Nothing calls attention to itself, everything is convincing, cohesive, and coherent.

Why do you think this one works so well?

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-08 16:14:22

At 3/8/13 03:40 PM, Globalist1789 wrote: This one of the girl in the hoodie jumps out to me as being obviously the most successful drawing! Nothing calls attention to itself, everything is convincing, cohesive, and coherent.

Why do you think this one works so well?

I don't know if you mean out of all my drawing or just my portraits, but if you like it more out of all my drawing I would say that possibly the simpler cleaner shading makes everything work together better rather than my normal shading and might be too busy.

As for all portraits well, it was my first one and I put more time into it. After the first one i wanted to see how fast I could do it. So of course it would end up more coherent.

Personally my favorite is Viatrix because it has that clean crisp feel, but still with the stylized flare I personally love. It most likely would have been better without the lighting I gave it, but I wanted to experiment.

Thank you for asking me that, it's interesting to think about my pieces like this, since I don't normally do so.

Response to MissLace's Art Thread 2013-03-09 03:14:49

Nice dynamic picture! I altered the perspective a tad to make a 'death from above'-type drop face kick. I'm thinking I should have reversed the angle of the arms to emphasize a powerful drop. Meh. Anyway.. my thoughts on layering the torso have been attached.

At 3/8/13 03:19 PM, MissLace wrote: Hey I'm working on another piece that has perspective. I want peoples opinion on the sketch! Please give your opinions :)

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |