00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A little sound advice

982 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A little sound advice 2013-01-06 17:16:49

Evening Gents,

I need a little help trying to replicate some voice FX. In particular, I'm trying to get the same kind of voice effect from the Shrouded Clan from ID Software's "RAGE". For those who don't know, there's a video below.

http://youtu.be/StaP5j--Lww?t=1m34s

My first assumption is that the voice effect was achieved by talking through some sort of pipe or tube, but I haven't come to any conclusions yet. I have plenty of VST plugins at my disposal, so any sort of help, whether it be general or technical, would be most appreciated.

This sentence is false.

Response to A little sound advice 2013-01-06 18:35:25

At 1/6/13 05:16 PM, DarkSignal wrote: Evening Gents,

I need a little help trying to replicate some voice FX. In particular, I'm trying to get the same kind of voice effect from the Shrouded Clan from ID Software's "RAGE". For those who don't know, there's a video below.

My first assumption is that the voice effect was achieved by talking through some sort of pipe or tube, but I haven't come to any conclusions yet. I have plenty of VST plugins at my disposal, so any sort of help, whether it be general or technical, would be most appreciated.

Hmm, What program do you use? I Suppose Fruity Loops?
If so (Or not) then Look up for something called Reeverb, or Delay.
That should do the trick.

A little sound advice

Response to A little sound advice 2013-01-06 20:43:42

It sounds like one of two things: Either they recorded it with something between the speaker and the microphone (which I doubt) or they used a convolution reverb of a small room and tweaked it to hell (more likely).

Get a small boomy room reverb, shorten it to make it denser then EQ it to hell. Should do the trick.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to A little sound advice 2013-01-07 12:45:53

At 1/6/13 08:43 PM, MetalRenard wrote: It sounds like one of two things: Either they recorded it with something between the speaker and the microphone (which I doubt) or they used a convolution reverb of a small room and tweaked it to hell (more likely).

Get a small boomy room reverb, shorten it to make it denser then EQ it to hell. Should do the trick.

Is the equalization going to yield the "through the tube" effect? It sounds like there's more to it than just a reverb

This sentence is false.

Response to A little sound advice 2013-01-08 01:55:03

At 1/6/13 05:16 PM, DarkSignal wrote: Evening Gents,

They definitely are high-passing the voice at some frequency. I believe that the through the tube effect is the emphasization of particular frequencies (they sound like mid-frequencies to me, maybe around 400hz?), along with a certain amount of ringing. You can use parametric eq to emphasize certain frequencies, and then small-room reverb to make it ring. Low-time low-volume delay with high feedback may be useful for ringing as well!