00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Clabtrap 2013 Early Info

2,091 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 00:20:37

Barring a return from Big Red, I will be hosting the 2013 Clabtrap Hip Hop Competition here on Newgrounds. The preliminary festivities will begin in the coming months, and the competition will start around April or May.

In about a month, I will start enlisting NG hip hop producers to create beats (consisting of four 16 bar verses, pm me for more details) for the battle comp, and shortly after I will start recruiting emcees and posting their hype tracks. Clabtrap will hold contests for both producers and emcees, btw, and this competition is going to be a great platform for you to gain exposure and have your work appreciated. Any producers who want to get an early start on making battle beats, feel free to do so.

I will be contacting Tom Fulp regarding the prizes that will be given away, and I'll let you guys know what's up when I hear what we have to offer.

If Big Red comes back and decides he wants to take over, the reins will be handed to him.

Feel free to ask questions or give suggestions in this thread.

Clabtrap 2013 Early Info

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 00:45:42

At 12/27/12 12:20 AM, Teqneek wrote: Stuff

I have some suggestions for people you should hassle for battle beats:
(that sentence reads like one of my bars, hohoho)

Bpleez
Tianwell
Mophead
Ax
Tabu
Monesmone

Obviously Rama already has a ton of beats we could use, plus Spawn's probably worth a shot. Also it might be worth asking Kill Bill.

I think it's very important that we get a fresh archive of beats for this comp, because the same ones have been recycled for years.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 01:09:08

At 12/27/12 12:45 AM, NogginmenAnimations wrote:
I think it's very important that we get a fresh archive of beats for this comp, because the same ones have been recycled for years.

I agree. Producers who want to participate should get started, there will be around 60 battles total, and we're gonna try our best not to use a beat more than once.

I'm still brainstorming ideas, but I think I'll hold a vote to determine the beats for the final four and the championship. The producer featured in the final battle will win a billion dollars.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 06:25:35

At 12/27/12 01:09 AM, Teqneek wrote: I agree. Producers who want to participate should get started, there will be around 60 battles total, and we're gonna try our best not to use a beat more than once.

I'm still brainstorming ideas, but I think I'll hold a vote to determine the beats for the final four and the championship. The producer featured in the final battle will win a billion dollars.

Yeah, I think I'm going to give battling a miss for this one, focus on the production. Hit me up yo, happy to custom build beats.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 07:58:01

Can we do video this time around? Should do the entire competition via skype.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 08:52:01

At 12/27/12 07:58 AM, Carefoot wrote: Can we do video this time around? Should do the entire competition via skype.

Skype is too laggy for on-the-fly audio collaboration.

Only one person can broadcast uninterrupted sound at a time.

There's e-jam, but it's still a paid-for-service. :(

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 11:17:36

Very excited to see a rap competition on Newgrounds!

Can I both produce and rap?

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 15:12:25

At 12/27/12 11:17 AM, PrometheusTheTitan wrote: Very excited to see a rap competition on Newgrounds!

Can I both produce and rap?

Absolutely.

And nah Carefoot, this is gonna be similar to last year's comp. Some things will be added/changed, but the concept is staying the same. No need to bring Skype into this, haha.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 16:09:02

co-signing the new production side of it. Also, was there ever a cd produced with last years comp on it? I thought that was a really cool idea, since it had been done in '10 & '11, and I think, if possible, should be done for this next round of battles.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 18:06:44

I just spoke with Tom Fulp, and since Big Red is ducking me (lol), Tom is trying to get a hold of him to see if he still plans on hosting this year's comp. If he does decide to host, I will compete as a rapper and win the 10 million dollars.

Also, Big Red owns the rights to the Clabtrap name, so If I do end up hosting, the title of the competition will most likely be changed.

*One more thing, for the producers involved: Feel free to begin making your battle beats now. They should have room for 4 verses, 16 bars each. They should generally be around 85-95 bpm, and a short (4-8 bar) intro is encouraged. You can submit multiple entries.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 18:12:27

At 12/27/12 06:06 PM, Teqneek wrote:
If I do end up hosting, the title of the competition will most likely be changed.

You accepting name suggestions?

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 18:44:58

At 12/27/12 06:12 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 12/27/12 06:06 PM, Teqneek wrote:
If I do end up hosting, the title of the competition will most likely be changed.
You accepting name suggestions?

Assuming Red doesn't come back- Sure! I can't guarantee it will be used, though.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that if the name of this contest isn't Clabtrap anymore, it shouldn't be something that changes yearly. Whatever is picked will be the name of this contest from now on. Personally, I'm kinda diggin' my name suggestion- BATTLEGROUNDS.

Anyway, I told Tom he could choose a name for this if he feels like it, but if he's cool with leaving it up to the NG'ers then that sounds good also.

But yeah, all name suggestions will be considered!

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-27 18:49:37

To be honest, I can't think of a better name for a rap battle comp on NG than BattleGrounds.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-28 11:09:40

At 12/27/12 06:49 PM, Teqneek wrote: To be honest, I can't think of a better name for a rap battle comp on NG than BattleGrounds.

I really like Battlegrounds...

BATTLEGROUNDS 2013
HIP HOP COMPETITION

It has a nice ring to it.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-28 12:15:32

At 12/27/12 12:45 AM, NogginmenAnimations wrote:
At 12/27/12 12:20 AM, Teqneek wrote: Stuff
I have some suggestions for people you should hassle for battle beats:
(that sentence reads like one of my bars, hohoho)

Bpleez
Tianwell
Mophead
Ax
Tabu
Monesmone

Obviously Rama already has a ton of beats we could use, plus Spawn's probably worth a shot. Also it might be worth asking Kill Bill.

Also, you should try to get in touch with DJ Delinquent. Mophead talks to him from time to time and he makes a damn good battle beat. He was banned from the portal a while back so he can't submit here, but I'm sure he could still cook something up, and probably wouldn't mind taking part in this.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-28 17:16:23

At 12/28/12 12:15 PM, JackRocker wrote:
Also, you should try to get in touch with DJ Delinquent. Mophead talks to him from time to time and he makes a damn good battle beat. He was banned from the portal a while back so he can't submit here, but I'm sure he could still cook something up, and probably wouldn't mind taking part in this.

DJ Delinquent was banned for numerous and repeat copyright violations, and also for his contemptuous attitude towards usage of copyrighted material in his sampling.

Last I saw, he ha d a link to a soundcloud page on his NG profile, but it appears the SC has deleted that as well.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-30 03:03:44

Deliquent is legendary status. If he does end up submitting a beat, it should be for the upper-tier of the battles, not wasted on the first few rounds in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-30 05:28:05

At 12/30/12 03:03 AM, RezzyTip wrote: Deliquent is legendary status. If he does end up submitting a beat, it should be for the upper-tier of the battles, not wasted on the first few rounds in my opinion.

Irrelevant, since he's perma- banned from submitting ot the portal in the first place.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-30 08:22:33

At 12/30/12 05:28 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
Irrelevant, since he's perma- banned from submitting ot the portal in the first place.

Not irrelevant. Although unlikely, if he was to produce a beat for the competition, his account being banned would not mean that a new production couldn't be used.

i.e. He could produce a beat, post it somewhere (soundcloud, mediafire) then it could be used for a battle. Although I doubt he'd be willing to contribute anything to help NG lol

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-30 13:14:11

Well, since this is a Newgrounds competition, I think his being permabanned would disqualify his beats from being used.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-30 17:39:08

At 12/30/12 01:14 PM, Teqneek wrote: his being permabanned would disqualify his beats from being used.

Exactly that.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2012-12-31 15:43:22

Okay so I heard back from Tom Fulp. He said he's diggin the new name, will match the prizes from last year, and still hasn't heard back from Big Red.

I'm going to give it a week and if I don't hear anything I will begin prep work for this competition. I'll be making a new thread for BattleGrounds, and it will contain rules and guidelines for emcees and producers. Shit's about to get surryus.

PRODUCERS- SEND ME YOUR BATTLE BEATS AND I WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2013-01-19 17:46:49

Yo, I go by Phonix.

Im interested in this battle competition, I would like to join as a rapper.

im 16 Years Old , and have uploaded 4 tracks (Old School Hip Hop).

Although im unscouted, am I still qualified to join this tournament?

Hit me back dude.

- Phonix

sup

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2013-01-19 19:43:22

How long have we got? I'm going to be away for about three days, and I want to be able to join in!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Response to Clabtrap 2013 Early Info 2013-01-20 18:39:49

At 1/19/13 07:43 PM, ChainsawPolice wrote: How long have we got? I'm going to be away for about three days, and I want to be able to join in!

Well, Big Red is back and he'll be hosting Clabtrap 2013, so he will be coming out with info in the near future I'm sure. He did tell me that he planned on hosting this year's comp some time in the Summer though, so you have plenty of time.