00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH!

1,135 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Okay, its a Project I only have a couple days to do, so it wont be perfect and it wont be extreme. Its for Secret Santa at work. She put down a buncha things, one was pandas and leopard print..so im doign pandas and cheetahs enjoying christmas --- they arent decked out in xmas gear yet, its not done. Im just generally trying to create the creatures, foreground and background. The back will have a cityscape on the dark lining below the sky, above the forest background. Any small details you think I shoudl add to the background to make it more realistic? - This is all going to be updated to 350dpi, and printed on gloss UV coating and Framed. The two pandas on the far right, are sketches and will be repainted over, the trees --- I need to research asian trees, so they are just sketches atm. Idk how to freakin draw water....? Idk why??? Sounds so simple but its not... Thought about removing the cheetah all together and doing just pandas, and doing a cheetah print frame. Anyways, any blunt direct direction changes would be nice - im not profesional and it smy first" painting" style. I nromally just vector graphics etc... but yea. Anyway - merry christmas, and Happy Holidays. :)

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-11 22:03:43

At 12/11/12 09:59 PM, pockets08 wrote: Okay, its a Project I only have a couple days to do, so it wont be perfect and it wont be extreme. ... im not profesional and it smy first" painting" style. I nromally just vector graphics etc... but yea.

There is literally no point in mentioning all this stuff. Giving yourself excuses for whatever product you make not being brilliant isn't going to improve anyone's critique.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-11 23:26:12

At 12/11/12 10:03 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 12/11/12 09:59 PM, pockets08 wrote: Okay, its a Project I only have a couple days to do, so it wont be perfect and it wont be extreme. ... im not profesional and it smy first" painting" style. I nromally just vector graphics etc... but yea.
There is literally no point in mentioning all this stuff. Giving yourself excuses for whatever product you make not being brilliant isn't going to improve anyone's critique.

Thank you. You helped me a lot. Can't wait to fix all these things!

I mentioned these things, because I dont do hand drawn things - so I'm not sure if im "doing it right" or if there is a better method, or toold. - based on what you quoted.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-12 00:02:14

At 12/11/12 11:26 PM, pockets08 wrote: Thank you. You helped me a lot. Can't wait to fix all these things!

Man, I'm under no obligation to help you paint. Don't get snarky when I don't.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-12 00:17:47

Reminds me of when you used to make a thread for every single piece....

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-12 02:57:58

At 12/11/12 09:59 PM, pockets08 wrote: any blunt direct direction changes would be nice...

Doesn't matter what you use to paint/draw. If the composition is bad, you're kind of doomed.

I would go with your own suggestion of focusing on just the pandas (the two in the thumbnail) ...with an obvious background of bamboo trees/leaves... just keep it simple. Then maybe go with a frame like this ...you could even get a basic frame with a white mat and add/paint the leopard print on it yourself.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-12 13:17:42

At 12/12/12 12:17 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Reminds me of when you used to make a thread for every single piece....

Which reminds me, I have 6 other things to post!

--

Ty Rae, will do.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-13 17:04:16

Updated, shreded a few things out, redid the pandas, added the background lights - still not done, but i think its starting to look more and more like a painting?

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-13 23:36:07

At 12/13/12 05:04 PM, pockets08 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/pockets08/wip-chineese-ne wyear
Updated, shreded a few things out, redid the pandas, added the background lights - still not done, but i think its starting to look more and more like a painting?

Added shading, moonlighting, treelights.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-13 23:52:11

Still rough with the grass, you mind putting this in garbage dump so I can do my little adjustments to it?

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 00:53:05

At 12/13/12 11:52 PM, Absinthe wrote: Still rough with the grass, you mind putting this in garbage dump so I can do my little adjustments to it?

I have no idea how , but I shall look into it, and so so.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 00:54:19

At 12/14/12 12:53 AM, pockets08 wrote:
At 12/13/12 11:52 PM, Absinthe wrote: Still rough with the grass, you mind putting this in garbage dump so I can do my little adjustments to it?
I have no idea how , but I shall look into it, and so so.

Oh -- I havent uploaded it since grass update. Grass will look diff in a moment.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 01:05:30

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 06:14:59

At 12/14/12 01:05 AM, pockets08 wrote: Up in dumping grounds!

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/2c43bf2f2b5680fbdf1a33c8 e583cb84

neat!

if that is a moon, I wouldt place it in front of my hills

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 10:42:52

The scribbly grass still looks awful and clashes with the rest of the pic. I'd say either make it plain green and indicate the form with the edge of a larger shadow kinda like you did with the tree or add texture it with alternately darker and lighter brush strokes of different tones of green to make it look somewhat like photoshops infamous grass brush.

Both are not perfect solutions I guess, but they could at least go with the kind of shading you got going on already.

I like the bamboo so far.

Good luck.

BBS Signature

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 13:34:37

At 12/14/12 10:42 AM, Luwano wrote: The scribbly grass still looks awful and clashes with the rest of the pic. I'd say either make it plain green and indicate the form with the edge of a larger shadow kinda like you did with the tree or add texture it with alternately darker and lighter brush strokes of different tones of green to make it look somewhat like photoshops infamous grass brush.

Both are not perfect solutions I guess, but they could at least go with the kind of shading you got going on already.

I like the bamboo so far.

Good luck.

Aded lightning bugs, because i love lightning bugs- uploaded the grass - a gift box dropped in, few others thigns still to be added before its finished. >.<

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 14:37:57

I am just going to come out and say I would totally want someone to make me this for Christmas. I agree with the whole moon comment, but still the main focus are the panda bears if that is what she is into (like myself). Try not to stress out so badly, unless you possibly like this female?

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-14 14:51:48

At 12/14/12 02:37 PM, Shotgunned wrote: I am just going to come out and say I would totally want someone to make me this for Christmas. I agree with the whole moon comment, but still the main focus are the panda bears if that is what she is into (like myself). Try not to stress out so badly, unless you possibly like this female?

well due to runnign out of time, im going to call it finished. I added a few more things and upped a few more details, but this will just have to do... :( </3 - Yea I like said female, but no fraternization at work so its not meant to be sentimental, I just didnt grow up with toys and gifts as a kid, so I wanted to do somethign a bit more unique.

Response to Doesnt need to be perfect, but..AH! 2012-12-15 12:34:36

Now thats its fully finished, it took 5 hours to get it printed from Fedex, and a kick ass frame from Hobby lobby! Heres my photo of the complete framed project as well some details XD- for those who pmed me wanting to see the finished work. :3

http://pockets08.newgrounds.com/news/post/802642

and thanks again everyone!!!!