00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why so difficult to port to PC?

701 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-04 18:34:58

Developers need the PC or Mac to make the game, so why is it so hard to port it and they need outsourced companies to do it for them?

Response to Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-04 18:52:33

Because they need to build it with DRM, and do some shit with controls, because if you havent noticed, PC suffers from "too many fucking buttons" syndrome, plus the mouse, which adds "too many fucking peripherals syndrome!"

Also as PC users they need graphics options, and if its multiplayer they need clients so that third party servers can be formed.

If a developer wants to go all out they will even create a devkit or whatever the flip its called so people can mod the shit out of their game. I assume you are asking because GTA5, and yeah, trust me its worth the wait just so you can see Goku go apeshit on everyone.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-04 22:00:51

Because the game requires tweaking to the engine, since it was developed (usually) with specifically consoles in mind. However, they usually also add extra features to the PC version to lure those who already bought it on console into getting it on PC/

Click the link in my description to go to Black Mesa's official site.

BBS Signature

Response to Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-04 22:27:29

Apparently a large portion of the code has to be completely rewritten, which makes sense as its a completely different system. Computers arent all like plug and play kinda you know, although sometimes I wish they were. So what they do is usually start with seperate teams who do different systems.

At 11/4/12 06:52 PM, sweet21 wrote: Because they need to build it with DRM, and do some shit with controls, because if you havent noticed, PC suffers from "too many fucking buttons" syndrome, plus the mouse, which adds "too many fucking peripherals syndrome!"

Also as PC users they need graphics options, and if its multiplayer they need clients so that third party servers can be formed.

If a developer wants to go all out they will even create a devkit or whatever the flip its called so people can mod the shit out of their game. I assume you are asking because GTA5, and yeah, trust me its worth the wait just so you can see Goku go apeshit on everyone.

None of the stuff you listed takes that long to be changed to be honest.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-04 22:47:56

At 11/4/12 10:27 PM, BumFodder wrote:
None of the stuff you listed takes that long to be changed to be honest.

Dude. Dude C'mon Mmg....seriously I mean...tsh, I thought you had my back bro, jeez.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Why so difficult to port to PC? 2012-11-05 00:41:59

At 11/4/12 10:27 PM, BumFodder wrote: Apparently a large portion of the code has to be completely rewritten, which makes sense as its a completely different system. Computers arent all like plug and play kinda you know, although sometimes I wish they were. So what they do is usually start with seperate teams who do different systems.

This is pretty much it. The console games operate in a different manner and require different things in order for games to run as opposed to a PC. This is also proven by the fact that playing console games on the computer requires an emulator(to simulate the system in which the game corresponds to).