00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Puzzle Games?

739 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 14:56:57

I'm enjoying Puyo Pop Fever for the GBA right now, and it's really good, but quadrupling the speed mid-game does not bode well for gamers who want to complete it. I lost 25 times in a row to the final boss at the end of the Waku Waku Course because of the speed alone. Still, it's a pretty solid and fun puzzle games with over-the-top character designs and a charm that definitely nails its target market pretty well. If it weren't so difficult, though, it would have attracted a much wider audience, which is a real shame.

Personally, if I were in charge of the difficulty of the game, I would have just made the AI smarter and smarter as you get through it, and the maximum speed increases would be only double speed instead of this funky quadruple speed increase the game's got going on. Overall, it's challenging and fun, but sometimes borderline frustrating.

9/10 for Puyo Pop Fever

So what are your favorite puzzle games (excluding Portal)?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 15:36:14

Odama.
And if you say it isn't a puzzle game, you're wrong and I hate you.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 16:38:49

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Sega Genesis. It's got great music and addictive gameplay.

Favorite Puzzle Games?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 19:00:44

At 11/3/12 04:38 PM, ZJ wrote: I'm a huge fan of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Sega Genesis. It's got great music and addictive gameplay.

I actually think that since this game was developed by the same people as Puyo Pop Fever, that this is where Puyo Pop Fever's mechanics come from. I definitely prefer the latter, though, as it's more fast-paced and energetic, as well as having a very adorable and expressive art style.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 19:08:56

At 11/3/12 02:56 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: excluding Portal

Damn. That was going to be my answer. Pure puzzle games aren't something I play very often. I play games that have puzzle aspects but then a lot of games have some element of puzzles to them.

I guess I'll go with Tetris then. A pretty generic answer, I know, but I actually like Tetris. It's one of those games that I can sit and play for quite a while if I'm bored. I've actually been wanting to code my own version of Tetris at some point to help familiarise me with games programming and working with graphics.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-03 19:47:33

I guess I'll go with Tetris then. A pretty generic answer, I know, but I actually like Tetris. It's one of those games that I can sit and play for quite a while if I'm bored. I've actually been wanting to code my own version of Tetris at some point to help familiarise me with games programming and working with graphics.

Tetris is a great game to learn from indeed. It's also an easy project for beginners because the program would only need to generate one random shape from an index of shape sprites, and not have to render a whole bunch of bricks, blobs, gems, etc at the same time, which is what occurs in Bejeweled.

I would like to work on an action/RPG with puzzle elements as well. My mechanic would be to pop as many rows of three bubbles as possible within ten seconds to deal as much damage to the enemy as possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-04 21:14:22

Peggle is also a good one. It's by the guys who made Bejeweled. They're great at making addictive games.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Puzzle Games? 2012-11-05 18:13:02

Ancient Empires is a pretty good puzzle platformer. It's not the hardest, but it definitely takes a while to get it worked out.

Mercury Meltdown is a phenomenal game. It's somewhat of a platformer, requiring bastard-hard coordination to navigate, but it also has plenty moments where you're left scratching your head like a gorilla.

Echochrome is another phenomenal game. For anyone that doesn't know, it's basically an MC Escher game. You have to connect separate pieces of walkway, obscure things to hide their existence, and basically do all sorts of crazy shit.

Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition isn't exactly a puzzler, but the final dungeon (the Labyrinth of Time) is basically 30 puzzle minigames that are surprisingly difficult and foreboding.

Out of those four, if you were only going to try one, I would be split between Mercury Meltdown and Echochrome. Mercury has a lot more replay value and it's way harder, while Echochrome is just altogether a cooler concept, but turns stale kind of fast.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)