Be a Supporter!

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood

  • 3,188 Views
  • 58 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Member since: Jan. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:11:07 Reply

At 10/2/12 09:05 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: the area i am in is mostly republican and conservative and in full support of presidents like reagen.

so it would get declined faster than somebody tripping over a banana

Well it won't hurt to try. You could get a petition going, pass it around your school and neighborhood and then send it up to a local legislator, that's how the system works. Also, maybe you haven't heard but Reagan is not only no longer president, but deceased as well; he won't be a problem.


A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
BarrageOfWords
BarrageOfWords
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:12:22 Reply

Wow, I didn't even know laws like that were still in use. Hopefully it'll be repealed at some point.

TylerFromTexas
TylerFromTexas
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:23:12 Reply

Can you provide us with some kind of link or source?


I used to be TNT
Latest song cover: The Kids Aren't Alright (uploaded on 1/12/2017)
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

TylerFromTexas
TylerFromTexas
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:24:42 Reply

At 10/2/12 09:23 PM, TNT wrote: Can you provide us with some kind of link or source?

Scratch what I said. I found it in this thread.

sorry

I used to be TNT
Latest song cover: The Kids Aren't Alright (uploaded on 1/12/2017)
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

DannyDaNinja
DannyDaNinja
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:33:00 Reply

That's just stupid. Here in Australia there's always this advert whining about how 1 in 3 people need blood and only 1 in 30 donate or something like that.

And in USA gay people aren't aloud to give blood? Just stupid, I'm sure they need as much blood as they can get >_<

And I mean, even if it did somehow turn the receivers gay, which would be so unlikely, why would that even matter??


Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:42:24 Reply

This has been going on for years actually. It's ridiculous that they still stick to this law despite it being clear now that A) people are closely inspected before a blood donation and B) NOT EVERY GAY DUDE ON THE PLANET IS HAS AIDS. Also, small side note: the law only applies to gay men, not to lesbians.

TheTrueZippy
TheTrueZippy
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:46:19 Reply

You can still be gay, to my knowledge. Having sex with someone of the same sex is the kicker. Which is equally as ridiculous.

4761
4761
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:46:47 Reply

The people who support this ban are claiming that homosexuals are a "high-risk group" and that it's simply "common sense" that they should be banned from donating blood.

I would like to make two points:

1 ) How does one being part of a high-risk group make it warranted to have their blood banned? It's a high-risk group, not a group that has 100% or near rate of HIV infection. The ban is completely unreasonable because it rejects any single homosexual even if they don't have AIDS. Even if a certain population has a general rate of infection, then it would only make sense to do more rigorous testing on them, not just ban it outright. The rule is if something generally happens to a group of people, then there should be policies that only affect that general population. By applying the rule to every single person of that population, you are discriminating against that population through it's minority and unjustly creating a low-opportunistic environment.

2) Don't they do blood checks? Last I recall, people have to have their blood checked for any impurities. Now as far as my knowledge goes, AIDS can be identified in the blood and therefore it shouldn't be a problem if homosexuals donate blood so long as you exclude the homosexuals who have AIDS. There is absolutely no reason why a homosexual who does not have AIDS to be excluded from giving blood when doctors could check them anyway.

This is really a pathetic, homophobic, stereotypical, and narrow-minded ban that really doesn't solve anything by appealing to the rule of generalization. It's like keeping black/hispanic people out of schools because they have the lowest reported scores of pretty much any state in the U.S. It is simply arrogant segregation that denies the minority who truly want to make a difference and help other people from doing things simply because the majority is flawed.


Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:46:52 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:15 PM, Painbringer wrote: I blame religious people for imposing this ban.

No, the law only applies to men for some reason. Lesbians get a pass on it. I'd say it's more to do with the AIDS scare (since the law was passed in the 80's when AIDS first appeared in gay men) than homophobia. Dumb law nonetheless.

SnakeSkull
SnakeSkull
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 21:57:29 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:08 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Recently, there's been a ban on people who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood. What is your thoughts on this.

This standard was created during the 70s because of the AIDS scare.

Red Cross is looking into taking away this policy.


Barev dzez.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-02 23:42:53 Reply

In the US, the current guidance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is to permanently defer any male donor who has had sex with another man, in the period from 1977 to the present day.

The UK and EU lifted its ban on gay male blood donation in September 2011. However, any man who reports having sex with another man within the twelve months will remain deferred from donating.

this arguement is old they tried changing it in the EU and US all together but failed epically.

Pride
Pride
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 00:45:10 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:08 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Recently, there's been a ban on people who are gay/bi not allowed to give blood even if they have been tested to not give blood. What is your thoughts on this.

When, Where, Why? (please include a link next time).

Anyway, it isn't really "new" news that gay man can't give blood. Unfortunately gay men who do not have HIV haven't been able to give blood since the 80's, I believe. Also lesbians can give blood, so I guess its' kinda a double-standard thing. I don't really see why they just don't do screenings to determine whether or not someone is eligible to donate blood.

I myself can't donate blood due to the fact that I'm originally from England and was there during the time of the "mad cow" epidemic. Doesn't really make sense though cause I'd probably be dead from a prion infection by now, but maybe the U.S. doesn't want to invest in having to test more people for different stuff. I don't know.

zag
zag
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Writer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 01:13:34 Reply

What an outrage.


BBS Signature
Bolo
Bolo
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 02:18:26 Reply

Yeah, that ban has been in place since the 80s. Has to do with the higher incidence rate of AIDS among gay people, but honestly, it's a pretty backwards rule.


BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Musician
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 02:53:02 Reply

hiv is just a social construct


BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO FORGE FIRST TO BRING THE WAY FOR OTHERS -
H. // E L I J A H // M U H A M M A D

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 09:19:42 Reply

I had a gay male friend complain about this to me recently, and while I'm about ten trillion light years from being a gay rights icon, I see this as the kind of idiotic discrimination that always comes when the irrationally prejudiced are trying their hardest, and failing miserably, to maintain their bigotry in a society moving on from an age of darkness into a more enlightened era. In the 1950s and 1960s, when black and white began to integrate, there were holdouts in positions of power who opposed the integration at every turn. Nowadays, most people look back on them with shame, and those who see them more fondly are ridiculed as artifacts of a bygone age. Or perhaps as having been produced in trailer parks by various combinations of severe inbreeding and alcoholic mothers who drank a six-pack of beer a day throughout the pregnancy, only to flunk out of school after about the fourth grade at latest and immediately blame other races for their inability to find success. In time, I believe that this policy, too, will be viewed as a societal shame and as a drain on us all, and those who crafted and supported it as misguided at best or, at worst, as evil bigots, millstones tied to the neck of society that held us back by decades when we should have known better.

And make no mistake, this policy hasn't been something that would have been supported by contemporary "popular" knowledge, to say nothing of contemporary scientific knowledge, for a few decades. The usual excuse for policies such as this are to prevent the spread of HIV, yet nearly every thinking person has known for at least 20 years now that one doesn't have to be a homosexual to contract HIV. Promiscuous heterosexuals, prostitutes and their clients, intravenous drug users, all of these are likely to contract HIV, yet when I went to give blood a few years ago (I was rejected for my pulse being too high) I was not asked any questions about sexual activity or soliciting prostitutes. If HIV is their excuse, they would be just as strict about heterosexual activity as about homosexual acts. But they're not. HIV is an excuse, a cover used to flimsily hide real issues of homophobia and bigotry that, as of 2012, already borders on the fanatical when compared to the opinions of many in society as a whole. Gays aren't fully accepted yet, but they're working on it, and when their inevitable victory comes, we'll be as ashamed of policies such as this as we tend to be of racially segregated schools.

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 09:23:03 Reply

Honestly I wouldn't take blood from a gay guy, I just don't like the idea of having gay blood inside me.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 10:03:41 Reply

The gay is contagious through blood.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:01:27 Reply

This isn't new OR exciting. Given that it's 2012 and the bans been here since the HIV scare, it'll probably get lifted soon enough.


Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:05:40 Reply

Good, I don't wanna be catching the queer from a transfusion


BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:28:40 Reply

I don't think of it as a bad thing.
They don't take blood from former addicts either I think.
Or people who have recently gotten tattoos.
They are just playing it safe.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:41:06 Reply

At 10/7/12 02:10 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:08 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Very strange as if that is connected to HIV more than straight sex. Protection is protection.
Their logic:

"He's gay, and gays have a lot of sex, so he obviously must have STD's"

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/us.htm
Oh shit I didn't mean to put that link there. Don't click it anybody. It's not related.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:52:08 Reply

It takes 6-12 weeks for hiv antibodies to even show up on a blood test.
So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:58:27 Reply

At 10/7/12 02:54 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:52 AM, xxxcreep wrote: So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.
Gay, has AIDS

You're either homophobic, misinformed, or incredibly stupid. Or all three.

No, Its just that ALOT of people who died of AIDS/HIV back then were gay.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 04:37:34 Reply

Well, actually, it kinda makes sense to me. The reason guys use condoms is to not get a girl pregnant, but if your not doing a girl, why use condoms? Therefore, transmission of STD's would be more likely between homosexual men. But who knows, thats just my own logic. I think Gays should have equal rights and be able to give blood, or at the very least get tested for STD's before they give (everyone should), but Im kinda on board that its possible for them to have a higher chance for STD's and HIV.
I mean, if I was gay, I probably wouldn't use a condom as well.

Also, did anyone actually carefully read the OP's Topic?

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllodeven if they have been tested to not give blood."


BBS Signature
DigitalStrip
DigitalStrip
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Movie Buff
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 11:20:34 Reply

At 10/2/12 08:19 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Give us a link OP, I have a sneaking suspicion your full of shit.

No its true dude because my school was doing a blood drive and one of the questions they ask was "have you had sex with a man in the past year" but they would only ask the guys idk if it applied to women to


BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 12:24:50 Reply

At 10/7/12 02:44 AM, Xenomit wrote: I didn't get tested, and none of my friends (quite a few...) were tested
In fact, I've never met anyone who had any of their shit checked

So, you admit to having no first-hand evidence that HIV/AIDS isn't that common in gays? I don't really see how that helps your argument, but OK.

The CDC just uses a ballpark average from each state, and the number of people they check is so small that it should be illegal for them to do that stupid shit
Are you really so stupid that you're gonna blindly trust this shit?

If you're referring to your claim that they use too few people, then no. Even though I prefer small government and all that, I trust the CDC over your personal conviction that homosexuals' blood is pretty safe. I'd prefer to see some evidence that the samples are too small and hear exactly how big and varied you think they need to be.


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 12:39:37 Reply

That's because instead of bleeding normal blood like you and me they bleed a deadly corrosive acid.

That's how you know you've got a gay.

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood