00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood

4,383 Views | 44 Replies

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 00:45:10

At 10/2/12 08:08 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Recently, there's been a ban on people who are gay/bi not allowed to give blood even if they have been tested to not give blood. What is your thoughts on this.

When, Where, Why? (please include a link next time).

Anyway, it isn't really "new" news that gay man can't give blood. Unfortunately gay men who do not have HIV haven't been able to give blood since the 80's, I believe. Also lesbians can give blood, so I guess its' kinda a double-standard thing. I don't really see why they just don't do screenings to determine whether or not someone is eligible to donate blood.

I myself can't donate blood due to the fact that I'm originally from England and was there during the time of the "mad cow" epidemic. Doesn't really make sense though cause I'd probably be dead from a prion infection by now, but maybe the U.S. doesn't want to invest in having to test more people for different stuff. I don't know.

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 01:13:34

What an outrage.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 02:18:26

Yeah, that ban has been in place since the 80s. Has to do with the higher incidence rate of AIDS among gay people, but honestly, it's a pretty backwards rule.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 09:19:42

I had a gay male friend complain about this to me recently, and while I'm about ten trillion light years from being a gay rights icon, I see this as the kind of idiotic discrimination that always comes when the irrationally prejudiced are trying their hardest, and failing miserably, to maintain their bigotry in a society moving on from an age of darkness into a more enlightened era. In the 1950s and 1960s, when black and white began to integrate, there were holdouts in positions of power who opposed the integration at every turn. Nowadays, most people look back on them with shame, and those who see them more fondly are ridiculed as artifacts of a bygone age. Or perhaps as having been produced in trailer parks by various combinations of severe inbreeding and alcoholic mothers who drank a six-pack of beer a day throughout the pregnancy, only to flunk out of school after about the fourth grade at latest and immediately blame other races for their inability to find success. In time, I believe that this policy, too, will be viewed as a societal shame and as a drain on us all, and those who crafted and supported it as misguided at best or, at worst, as evil bigots, millstones tied to the neck of society that held us back by decades when we should have known better.

And make no mistake, this policy hasn't been something that would have been supported by contemporary "popular" knowledge, to say nothing of contemporary scientific knowledge, for a few decades. The usual excuse for policies such as this are to prevent the spread of HIV, yet nearly every thinking person has known for at least 20 years now that one doesn't have to be a homosexual to contract HIV. Promiscuous heterosexuals, prostitutes and their clients, intravenous drug users, all of these are likely to contract HIV, yet when I went to give blood a few years ago (I was rejected for my pulse being too high) I was not asked any questions about sexual activity or soliciting prostitutes. If HIV is their excuse, they would be just as strict about heterosexual activity as about homosexual acts. But they're not. HIV is an excuse, a cover used to flimsily hide real issues of homophobia and bigotry that, as of 2012, already borders on the fanatical when compared to the opinions of many in society as a whole. Gays aren't fully accepted yet, but they're working on it, and when their inevitable victory comes, we'll be as ashamed of policies such as this as we tend to be of racially segregated schools.

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 09:23:03

Honestly I wouldn't take blood from a gay guy, I just don't like the idea of having gay blood inside me.

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-03 10:03:41

The gay is contagious through blood.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:01:27

This isn't new OR exciting. Given that it's 2012 and the bans been here since the HIV scare, it'll probably get lifted soon enough.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:28:40

I don't think of it as a bad thing.
They don't take blood from former addicts either I think.
Or people who have recently gotten tattoos.
They are just playing it safe.

"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:41:06

At 10/7/12 02:10 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:08 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Very strange as if that is connected to HIV more than straight sex. Protection is protection.
Their logic:

"He's gay, and gays have a lot of sex, so he obviously must have STD's"

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/us.htm
Oh shit I didn't mean to put that link there. Don't click it anybody. It's not related.

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:52:08

It takes 6-12 weeks for hiv antibodies to even show up on a blood test.
So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.

"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 02:58:27

At 10/7/12 02:54 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 10/7/12 02:52 AM, xxxcreep wrote: So if it's making everyone in the world safer from getting HIV or AIDS, then so be it.
Gay, has AIDS

You're either homophobic, misinformed, or incredibly stupid. Or all three.

No, Its just that ALOT of people who died of AIDS/HIV back then were gay.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 04:37:34

Well, actually, it kinda makes sense to me. The reason guys use condoms is to not get a girl pregnant, but if your not doing a girl, why use condoms? Therefore, transmission of STD's would be more likely between homosexual men. But who knows, thats just my own logic. I think Gays should have equal rights and be able to give blood, or at the very least get tested for STD's before they give (everyone should), but Im kinda on board that its possible for them to have a higher chance for STD's and HIV.
I mean, if I was gay, I probably wouldn't use a condom as well.

Also, did anyone actually carefully read the OP's Topic?

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllod even if they have been tested to not give blood."

"who are gay/bi not allowed to give bllodeven if they have been tested to not give blood."

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 11:20:34

At 10/2/12 08:19 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Give us a link OP, I have a sneaking suspicion your full of shit.

No its true dude because my school was doing a blood drive and one of the questions they ask was "have you had sex with a man in the past year" but they would only ask the guys idk if it applied to women to

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 12:24:50

At 10/7/12 02:44 AM, Xenomit wrote: I didn't get tested, and none of my friends (quite a few...) were tested
In fact, I've never met anyone who had any of their shit checked

So, you admit to having no first-hand evidence that HIV/AIDS isn't that common in gays? I don't really see how that helps your argument, but OK.

The CDC just uses a ballpark average from each state, and the number of people they check is so small that it should be illegal for them to do that stupid shit
Are you really so stupid that you're gonna blindly trust this shit?

If you're referring to your claim that they use too few people, then no. Even though I prefer small government and all that, I trust the CDC over your personal conviction that homosexuals' blood is pretty safe. I'd prefer to see some evidence that the samples are too small and hear exactly how big and varied you think they need to be.

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature

Response to Gay people not allowed 2 give blood 2012-10-07 12:39:37

That's because instead of bleeding normal blood like you and me they bleed a deadly corrosive acid.

That's how you know you've got a gay.

Gay people not allowed 2 give blood