00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Danul's arts

2,949 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Danul's arts 2012-09-06 00:19:29

Lately I've taken a deeper interest in drawing, so I figured I'd start an art thread to get some critique and guidance and try to improve my art as quickly and efficiently as possible. I guess I'll start off with one of the few "finished" drawings I've done. This is of a character in a sort of series I was working on in my head. I wanted this series to be somewhat believable, so I tried to keep outfits more practical than showy.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-06 00:22:50

Here's another picture that I never ended up finishing of some characters from the same series. I seemed to get discouraged when it comes around to shading :s

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-06 00:26:00

Lastly a pic I just recently started but don't really want to progress with until I get some feedback regarding the posing and anatomy. Obviously (hopefully), it's supposed to be a pretty dynamic picture, so I want to make sure all the poses look both physically possible and exciting.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-06 00:49:32

hello there and welcome to the amazing world of the drawing
first let me tell you what your drawings are really good ( you have a good use of the anatomic proportions , exept for one or two mistakes ; but in general are exelent)
but i think you need something , maybe you sholud try to get a more styliced work ,you know, something more amazing ( try to make drawings with more dynamic angles , cool positions and stuff )
im not a great artist ,so, i cant make more observations but that is what i think
i hope see you with more things in the future

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-06 01:24:16

Yes, you have a good knowledge of human anatomy it seems, actually one of the better art threads I've seen! I like your style which seems to use lots of fat lines that give it quite a unique feel. Work more on the things that need practice, study the muscles in the human body, and don't be afraid to shade. Draw things that challenge you in areas you feel you need to improve. That's my advice but I'm liking what I see so far!

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-08 23:36:42

Thanks for the kind words so far! I tried taking aoisgd's advice about dynamic angles while sketching up this picture of Zer0 from Borderlands 2. I'll probably color it later to play with the lights that come from his mask and sword.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-08 23:47:07

Also some sketchy pose practice

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-09 20:47:07

Done, I guess. Dunno how I feel about it but at least I finished something...

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-15 07:08:43

Another finished Zer0. I quite like how this one turned out. Looking for critiques mostly on coloring right now, I think, unless anyone sees anything else for me to work on. Also still looking for critiques for that third blue sketch I started (composition, anatomy, posing).

Hopefully someone gets this

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-15 08:40:57

Like your art. Can you draw something non-battle related? That means no swords, no guns, no warrior suits etc.

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-15 09:45:02

At 9/15/12 07:08 AM, Danul wrote:
Hopefully someone gets this

Get's it as in you just redrew the No More Heroes cover but with that character instead?
I don't understand if that's supposed to be funny?
It's a good pose to practice though.

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-15 09:52:24

I'm pretty sure it's that he crossed out the (zer)o's

Response to Danul's arts 2012-09-15 10:05:19

At 9/15/12 09:45 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Get's it as in you just redrew the No More Heroes cover but with that character instead?
I don't understand if that's supposed to be funny?
It's a good pose to practice though.

It's Zero from borderlands 2. It's supposed to be funny. I think he's making a comparison between the sword wielding characters in each game.

Also, BL2 come out in 3 days!!! AH!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Danul's arts 2012-11-23 02:14:26

I was worried about getting distracted from this thread with all the new games that have come out lately as well as school and everything but I finally have some drawing progress. These are the characters from Trine 2 and I'm pretty satisfied with them right now--just gotta do a background.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-11-23 02:16:17

Here's also a little doodle I did a while back of a Dishonored-inspired mask and Salvador from Borderlands 2

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-11-28 20:41:25

I've started working on this concept for the protagonist of that series I mentioned earlier. It's pretty basic but it's utilizing a lot of stuff I'm not really used to doing. I'm looking for feedback now so that I don't make some small mistake that causes problems down the road.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-11-29 20:02:01

I'll probably have to refine it later, but I think the lineart's pretty done for now. Having trouble making a sort of mildly worried/anxious face, right now to me it looks scared and my brother thinks it looks compassionate. Thoughts/critiques so far??

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-11-29 22:55:05

At 11/29/12 08:02 PM, Danul wrote: I'll probably have to refine it later, but I think the lineart's pretty done for now. Having trouble making a sort of mildly worried/anxious face, right now to me it looks scared and my brother thinks it looks compassionate. Thoughts/critiques so far??

Nice so far :D
The expression can be improved by changing the eye position.
Attached is a 2 min doodle-fest of some faces I put in.
And a horrible unicorn just because.
A good idea is to make said expression yourself (works sometimes) while drawing in front of a mirror. Another idea is to ask a friend to make an expression when you say "QUICK, LOOK ANXIOUS!". If they are more expressive than a plank of wood, you can use that too.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS OR YOU DO NOT HAVE FRIENDS: I suggest you try Google just for stock images just in case.
Googling faces shows some cool results!

Your character is very cool by the way, is he a younger character? If now, you can always extend his chin out more to show off that manly beard.
But he's rugged. I like that.

((Image says: Did I leave the Oven on?" Excuse the handwronging.))

Danul's arts

BBS Signature

Response to Danul's arts 2012-12-01 23:29:40

Thanks for the reply and, though I can't say I really followed your image, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've decided to just keep the face as I have it right now and just shade and color around it while I await further input. So far I got base colors down and I've been working on the shading on the hair and beard. Colored shading's pretty new to me, as well as hairy textures, so I'm really looking for help with this piece.

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2012-12-02 06:50:55

At 12/1/12 11:29 PM, Danul wrote: Colored shading's pretty new to me, as well as hairy textures, so I'm really looking for help with this piece.

I've actually got a tutorial or two for hair.

Response to Danul's arts 2013-12-13 20:22:00

Not sure if I'll start continuously updating this thread but I thought I'd share this since I was pretty happy with how it turned out

reference

Also I had a question: is using a color picker tool in studies such as this considered "cheating" in the art community?

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2013-12-13 20:23:41

Figured I might as well post this finished product while I'm here

Danul's arts

Response to Danul's arts 2013-12-13 20:57:56

At 12/13/13 08:22 PM, Danul wrote: Also I had a question: is using a color picker tool in studies such as this considered "cheating" in the art community?

Well, you're kind of limiting your own practice if you do it.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature